True Italians !!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought this was cute!!!!
biggrin.gif

Italians have a $40,000. kitchen, but use the $259 stove from American Appliance in the basement to cook.

There is some sort of religious statue in the hallway, living room, front porch and backyard.

The living room is filled with old bombonieri (they are too pretty to open) with poofy net bows and stale almonds.

A portrait of the Pope and Frank Sinatra in the dining room.

God forbid if anyone EVER attempted to eat Chef Boy-are-dee, Franco American, Ragu, Prego or anything else in a jar or can. (Tomato paste is the exception.)

The following are Italian Holidays:

* First weekend in October - Grapes for the Wine

* 3rd weekend in August - Tomatoes for the Gravy (Speaking of which, it's GRAVY and not Sauce).

Meatballs are made with Pork, Veal and Beef. Italians, don't care about cholesterol.

Turkey is served on Thanksgiving, AFTER the manicotti, gnocchi, and lasagna.

If anyone EVER says ES-CAROLE, slap 'em in the face -- it's SHCAROLL.

No matter how hard you know you were going to get smacked, you still came home from church after communion, you stuck half a loaf of bread in the gravy pot, snuck out a fried meatball and chowed down.

You'll make up for it next week at confession.

Sunday dinner was at 1:00.

The meal went like this...Table is set with everyday dishes...doesn't matter if they don't match...they're clean, what more do you want.

All the utensils go on the right side of the plate and the napkin goes on the left. Put a clean kitchen towel at Nonno &Papa's plate because they won't use napkins. Homemade wine and bottles of 7 UP are on the table.

* First course, Antipasto...change plates.

* Next, Macaroni (Nonna called all spaghetti Macaroni)...change plates.

* After that, Roasted Meats, Roasted Potatoes, Overcooked vegetables...change plates.

* THEN and only then (NEVER AT THE BEGINNING OF THE MEAL) would you eat the salad (HOMEMADE OIL &VINEGAR DRESSING ONLY)..change plates.

* Next, Fruit &Nuts - in the shell (on paper plates because you ran out of the other ones).

* Coffee (Espresso for Nonno, "Merican" coffee for the rest) with Anisette (Hard Cookies to dip in the coffee).

The kids go play...the men go to lay down...the women clean the kitchen.

Getting screamed at by Mom or Nonna - half the sentence was English, the other half Italian.

Italian mothers never threw a baseball in their life, but can nail you in the head with a shoe thrown from the kitchen while you're in the living room.

Prom Dress that Zia Ceserina made you...$20.00 for material. Prom hair-do from Cousin Angela...$Free. Turning around at prom to see your entire family (including Godparents) standing in the back of the gym...PRICELESS!

The true Italians will love this, those of you who are married to Italians will understand this, and those of you who are friends with Italians will remember.

LMAO this bring's back memories of hanging out with rosie my best friend in jr high and high school her parents came from italy. I didn't grow up near my italian family so i didn't have it like this firsthand lol but damn hits the nail on the head lol.

we used to help Nonno make wine in the basementat his house and i was usually there when her mom would jar tomatoes for the year and i'd end up with homemade wine and jars of tomatoes for my house lol

but their salad dressing was oil and lemon juice but not from the bottle ya squeeze the lemon right in there and add a little bit of salt.

(and at the beginning her mom cooked in the kitchen upstairs(when they first moved in) but they added a whole kitchen in the basement lol the only time we sat at the kitchen table was when we were talkin on the phone)

*haha* how true. I stayed with an Italian host family for 2 weeks (in a tiny town called Urbano)

gosh, they made me eat like you wouldn´t believe. they thought I looked like I was about to starve and boy, my hostmum was the best cook I ever met. I have no clue what I ate in the 2 weeks that I stayed there. I just know it was a lot.

oh, and you can´t forget the strong espresso after every meal.

This is great! I went to Italy once and there is nothing better than the food. I would have loved to learn how to cook the Italian way.

Originally Posted by Arielle *haha* how true. I stayed with an Italian host family for 2 weeks (in a tiny town called Urbano)
gosh, they made me eat like you wouldn´t believe. they thought I looked like I was about to starve and boy, my hostmum was the best cook I ever met. I have no clue what I ate in the 2 weeks that I stayed there. I just know it was a lot.

oh, and you can´t forget the strong espresso after every meal.

and they keep refilling your plate unless you physically remove it from the table lol i would go to my friends house and her mom would always be pushin food on me i usually went over there after dinner and even though i ate at home she'd still make me eat something even if it was a piece of fruit lol

Originally Posted by Anya1976 and they keep refilling your plate unless you physically remove it from the table lol i would go to my friends house and her mom would always be pushin food on me i usually went over there after dinner and even though i ate at home she'd still make me eat something even if it was a piece of fruit lol yeah that´s true. I just love their hospitality. and if you tell them you like their food they officially love you *lol*

Originally Posted by Arielle yeah that´s true. I just love their hospitality. and if you tell them you like their food they officially love you *lol* yep lol rosie's mom was deaf she read lips but mostly in italian so i was always learning italian when i was there.Rosie's family was insane lol she had 4 older brothers and Rosie was the baby and the only girl. she was never allowed to do anything. (so of course she got pregnant and married while still in high school)

but i have to say watching their mom chase chicks that the brother's brought home in the middle of the night with a broom was pretty frickin funny, there was always some drama going on at rosie's house. but we always had a good time

I love your Rosie story - but its true how the Italians are - That's my family to a tee!!! lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Anya1976 yep lol rosie's mom was deaf she read lips but mostly in italian so i was always learning italian when i was there.Rosie's family was insane lol she had 4 older brothers and Rosie was the baby and the only girl. she was never allowed to do anything. (so of course she got pregnant and married while still in high school)

but i have to say watching their mom chase chicks that the brother's brought home in the middle of the night with a broom was pretty frickin funny, there was always some drama going on at rosie's house. but we always had a good time

LOL - this is so true. Reminds me of my family when we were all little. My mom was great at throwing shoes at my brothers when they were bad.
icon_lol.gif
My sister still makes meatballs just like that - beef, veal and pork.

Originally Posted by K*O* I love your Rosie story - but its true how the Italians are - That's my family to a tee!!! lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif
iloved hanging out there it was so much fun, i do miss it. Rosie's brother and i dated for awhile and their parents wanted us to get married lol Rosie's parents loved me.

Originally Posted by K*O* I love your Rosie story - but its true how the Italians are - That's my family to a tee!!! lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Yup - like the good ol' "WOODEN SPOON" technique!
eek.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Yup - like the good ol' "WOODEN SPOON" technique!
eek.gif
lol well we had that in my own family lol

you guys will probably kill me. i had pasta last night with some ragu sauce
icon_redface.gif

Oh you remember that Janelle !!!!

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Yup - like the good ol' "WOODEN SPOON" technique!
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Naturally AHHHHH a trip down memory lane! Forgot to add ...that ALL kids get their cheeks pinched! LOL LMAO yes that is so true

eek.gif
my brother was the onlyone to get cracked with the spoon.... he actually broke a few on his behind too my dad would throw a slipper if he had to

Originally Posted by Anya1976 my brother was the onlyone to get cracked with the spoon.... he actually broke a few on his behind too my dad would throw a slipper if he had to LOL Mine too!!!
And yup - I remember that mom!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 LOL Mine too!!!
And yup - I remember that mom!
wink.gif

ah the joys of childhood lol

Latest posts

Back