Trying to find a "BASIC" example Foundation Recipe w/ percentages

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am just starting to make my own mineral make up. I have everything I need. I'm just getting overwhelmed when making my base for my foundation. 

I would like to create a Vegan Mineral Foundation Base using:

Zinc Oxide

Titanium Dioxide

Boron Nitride

Serecite Mica-Carnauba Treated.

Silica Microspheres

The amounts I think would work well are...

Zinc Oxide- 20%

Titanium Dioxide- 10%

Boron Nitride- 5%

Serecite Mica-Carnauba Treated- 45%

Silica Microspheres-10%

Iron Oxide Pigment Blend- 10%

I'm trying to get the percentages/amounts right. So I have a base guideline to go by. 

I would like to create Mineral Foundation for Dry Skin (For me), and Oily Skin (For my mother in law). 

Could anyone help me out with the percentage amount I should use for each ingredient for both skin types. 

Also for Color Correctors/Concealers would a good base for these be:

Zinc Oxide

Boron Nitride

Silica Microspheres

Also, about what percentage should those be?

I appreciate any help! Thank you in advance. 

Its based entirely on personal preference.  Have you tried out your recipe? No matter how great it may appear, you'll have to make it to know. You don't have to make a large batch but my suggestion is to make your recipe, apply it to your face.  You'll know whether or not its the right one for you.  If it isn't, tweak it til it feels right.  Write down every change so you can recreate it later.  

BTW I didn't realize that you added your colourant into your calculation.  Don't mix colourant into your mix until you are happy with the base.  Every time you tweek your base, the colour changes.  Its just more ingredients to throw away if you mess up.  I made a base that had a good skin feel.  I applied it to my entire face and wore it around for an hour or so.   When you like the feel of your base, colour it to suit.  

I think I spent 2 weeks in trying to get my base the way I want it.  My % are not even I actually just used weight rather than % because its easier to keep track.  Do you have a jewellery scale?

Ok see. That's how I started. I didn't include the pigment percentage. Then I started looking online and I read that it should be about 10-20% to the base. Thanks! That helps me a little bit more now that I know not to include the pigment amount. Yeah I think the scale I have is for that. It measures grams. 

I'm getting frustrated b/c I had wrote down some recipes that I had already tested, and I think my son threw it away in the trash!! So now I have to start over again! I don't remember what I had done exactly! 

Thanks for your help! 
biggrin.gif

That sucks you lost your recipe.  That seems to happen to me alot. I hate it when that happens, I also hate having to throw away a batch altho I did keep my 'medium' coverage base for halloween white faces:)

My scale measures 0.01g .  100g of bases is ALOT and that's before any adjustments.  You can only add more stuff, you can't take anything away.  Oddly enough, my recipe makes 52g at a time.  That's about 8mo - 1yrs worth of base if it was just for me.  I wear foundation every day. 

My base is sheer.  Yours appears to have either medium to full coverage (that'd depend on who ever has it on).  To me, someone's medium is my heavy.  I'd never use your recipe as I'd feel too masked.  I don't know what % my colourant is to my base but I just keep adding my colour mix until it matches my face but I don't think it is 10%.  It may need more colour if it has heavier coverage I suppose.  

What are you using to grind it?

Originally Posted by Heathermarie26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok see. That's how I started. I didn't include the pigment percentage. Then I started looking online and I read that it should be about 10-20% to the base. Thanks! That helps me a little bit more now that I know not to include the pigment amount. Yeah I think the scale I have is for that. It measures grams. 

I'm getting frustrated b/c I had wrote down some recipes that I had already tested, and I think my son threw it away in the trash!! So now I have to start over again! I don't remember what I had done exactly! 

Thanks for your help! 
biggrin.gif

I'm so sorry it took so long for me to reply to you. Usually it doesn't as I was planning my son's 9th Birthday party. It had to be Beyblade themed so I was on a mission to find EVERYTHING Beyblade. This week was crazy. Anyways glad it is over. 

In reply to your question, the grinder I used I bought off Walmart.com. I love it. It actually works so well! It is a nut and coffee grinder. I'm not sure exactly which one it is. 

Beyblades lol!  My son liked beyblades too when he was 9.  

I prefer grinder thats fully enclosed like a magic bullet or a blender.  I found that I was loosing product in a coffee grinder.  It was ending up in the housing and leaking out thru the cord :/  It also ended up in the air which is BAD.  If you are planning to do this on a regular basis, I'd recommend the bullet or similar or used blender from the V.V. or sally ann for bigger batches and a jewellery scale.

Latest posts

Back