Tutorial Request For Members

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To all of the lovely makeuptalk members who post tutorials (photo or video) I have a request for you.

Actually this request comes from my younger sister.

She wanted to know if anyone could do some eye look tutorials and post them here (in our designated tutorial thread) with the special request that they contain shadow/colour and liner only on the top lid and lash line, keeping the lower lash line free from liner and smudged shadow.

If  you google or do a search for eye looks or eye makeup, every photo and video contain shadow or liner smudged across the lower lash line or colour lining the eyes completely.

Although she knows she can skip that part or leave it out, she would still like to see some makeup videos without it because this is how she prefers her makeup. Or if you know of any tutorials like this would you mind sharing them? .

Thank you!

Mmm, not everyone does the lower eye. I only do it when I wanna do a very bold eye look. Usually though I keep it to the top lid only. But granted, I do cat-eye flicks, so not sure if she'd want that. 

I generally don't do anything on my lower lash except for some shimmery champagne liner to brighten things up a bit so I can totally do a tutorial about that. What sort of looks does she like? What sort of colors?

I think having no liner on the bottom looks light and fresh--you can probably get away with more bold and dramatic looks without it being overwhelming. If I were her, I would: emphasize the lashes (just long, not thick or clumped together) have crisp extended eyeliner (gel or liquid liner? in the below pics, the eyeliner is extended beyond the outer corners), and use some sort of highlighter to brighten the look.

She could look up tutorials for retro/pinup makeup (MissChevious has one). The celebrities I can think of that sometimes wear makeup like that are Megan Fox, Katy Perry, and Dita von Teese; although instead of lower liner, they might wear eyeshadows or a white liner.

If she's fine w/using eyeshadows on the lower lid but worries about fallout, she could wear primer under her eyes. If applied carefully, it can soften a look and make your eyes really stand out; I would recommend a softer color (smokey grey, bronzey brown, etc) lightly applied.

If she wants really clean makeup with nothing on the lower lid, she could just wear liner, mascara, and a bright eyeshadow to make the eyes pop (like Kate Winslet)

Tell her to check out SamanthaSchuerman on Youtube.  She does looks with no bottom liner quite often. 

Thank you ladies! I will pass on a few of the youtube gurus listed here.

I think a lot of girls/women leave the lower lash line free of colour on a daily basis but it is hard to find any tutorials that do.

It really does give your makeup a cleaner, fresher look to it. Lining the bottom lash line or smudging shadow creates a more dramatic look and is good for a night out though.

Originally Posted by Turboweevel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I generally don't do anything on my lower lash except for some shimmery champagne liner to brighten things up a bit so I can totally do a tutorial about that. What sort of looks does she like? What sort of colors?
She wears a lot of brown shades but she has started wearing more colour recently. Purples, Blues, Greens....etc. She'd be happy with any and all tutorials, looks and shadow placment instructions.

So upon talkling with her further, she is into the champagne light colour under her eyes if anyone has a tutorial on that.

She has difficulty applying liner and shadow on her lower lash line, and because she needs a look that is wearable on a daily basis for work she prefers a clean look.

She doesn't wear much liner on her upper lash line, aside from a thin black line (liquid liner) because she doesn't have any oppurtunity to touch up her makeup all day while working, and it seems to get smudged and run or she experiences fall out after a few short hours. It looks a mess by the time she gets home.

The Katy Perry photos posted above are great, very pretty and clean looking. She says Thank you for pointing her out, she hadn't noticed her more simple eye looks before.

has she tried the NYX slide on pencils or the UD 24/7's?  (You want to leave them alone for a good 5-10 minutes after applying to allow them to set, but once they're set they're usually good for the rest of the day)  Actually I like liquid liners too, but it's fun to have variety.

Getting a good shadow primer is also a huge deal to prevent smudging throughout the day.

Back