Ummm...wtf?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was bit by a spider this past weekend,, top of my right hand (luckily the bite wasn't on my problem arm) and have been taking antibiotics for 5 days (prescribed antibiotics for seven days)now and they are not helping. The little tiny puncture wound has now opened up into a big lesion, red, gross, greenish-brown fluid leaking onto the band aid. My entire arm cramps up, nauseated, dizzy. Wednesday night I had a temperature. Anyways after the bite occured I headed to a walk in clinic the next day because it was very swollen, nausea, arm cramping etc. I am allergic to penicillan (break out in a rash, feel nauseated) so I was prescribed Erythromycin 3x day.

I keep taking the antibiotics with food etc, not helping. The redness is worse, lesion has grown.

I decided to head to the ER today near my house. I wasn't able to get in to see my family doctor. I hate going to the ER because I feel I am not dying or badly injured, wasting their time.

So the doc looked at my hand, said it looks infected. I told him my arm is cramping, nausea, loss of appetite etc. He asked me why I can't take penicillan. I told him about the rash etc. He said "Do you think you can tolerate the rash if I give you penicillan?" I said "No, I would prefer something else . I don't want a rash." He said "Continue taking the Erythromycin. I don't know much about spider bites. " He left the room, end of it.

The nurse came in, hooked me up to the IV antibiotic. Within minutes I felt odd, nauseated, somewhat itchy. I waited for a bit and realized it was becoming worse, summoned the nurse. She looked at the IV bag and said "Oh my, I gave you penicillan! This was suppose to be for the other patient!" She unhooked everything.

I realize mistakes happen but I felt uneasy with the situation and left the hospital.

Ugh! My arm is cramping. I will continue the antibiotics until they are gone, but in the mean time, my lesion, and redness is worse not better! wtf?

Just ranting!

What kind of spider was it? You may want to go to a doctor that knows more about spider bites. The cramping sounds like a reaction to venom. It sounds like the spider could have been poisonous.

I hope you feel better soon! Update us on how you're doing.

I'm not sure what kind it was. I remember it was a brown color. As far as I know we do know have dangerous, poisonous spiders in my Province. I know in BC, Alberta there are black widows but not where I live. In hindsight I should have tried to capture it.

You never know, venomous spiders can be carried in through cargo etc.

I did go to the ER, they didn't help. Tomorrow I will try somewhere else.

Yikes I hate spiders. Yesterday I got bitten by a mosquito who seemed to be starving to death because it attacked me like crazy and caused a huge and I mean it HUGE bump on my eyelid and chin. I looked like Rocky Balboa after a boxing match
frown.gif
Now I realize I might be allergic to mosquito bites.

I hope you feel better soon and keep an eye on that infection. I can't believe they made that stupid mistake with penicillan!

OMG! She's lucky you aren't allergic to penicillan! Sorry about the bite. I hope it's nothing serious.

Yikes! I think you should see another doctor, that sounds pretty serious, especialyl if you are having symptoms like that. My sister had a bad spider bite about a year and a half ago but she didn't have symptoms like that. Feel better hun and take it easy!

my mum has had a spider bite also, from a white tip spider.

the bite turned into wat ur saying but it was dry around the outside and kinda dipped in like a crater after a day, she went to the hospital and found out she had to get surgery, they had to dig away where it bit so it wouldnt spread, she still has the scares. she was on antibiotic till they could fit her in!!

OMG, are you serious? What a crock of a dr and nurse. It's a good thing your allergy to penicillan isnt really bad. You poor girl. I hope you get some relief soon.

Almost sounds like a Brown Recluse bite (my ex had the same symptoms). Although, I definitely don't know much about spiders short of how to kill them, and I dunno if you even have those in Canada. I'd try to see if you can't have someone else look at your hand, or go back because it's not supposed to be getting worse! Best of luck, and I hope everything's okay soon Shelley!

Oh that sucks! You should definitely go to a different ER. That doctor/nurse is a nut.

both the doctor and the nurse are crazy. you should had file a complaint for that nurse for giving you the wrong medication. that's very unprofessional and could jeopardize someone's life.

Ditto...... you should go see a differant doctor..... I think you post a pick too!!!

yuck spider bites! sounds so scary to go through! the dr is an idiot. I think you need to go to a different one

Latest posts

Back