Under Eye Circles (NOT wrinklies, puffiness, or hyperpigmentation)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everybody. First of all I have to admit I am a guy. I made an account here because I have almost always had these horrible under eye circles, which are really take a toll on my self esteem. At times I can barely look people in the eye because I feel so self concious. Now its important that I make clear that its not wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, or puffiness that I have and I dont trust problems that claim to fix "puffiness and under eye circles" because they seem like two almost opposite problems to me. I have genetic under eye circles which are purple ish in color and i believe are caused by my thin translucent skin. Has anybody found any creams that actually work for this kind of under eye circle??? I would really appreciate if if somebody finally cured this problem that has been driving me insane for all these years.

(plz no concealers plz. i dont want to look like im wearing makeup cus im a guy)

There are factors like sleep, diet, hydration, exercise, weight that could all be causing this. It could also be 100% genetic. I know there are products that claim to do fix this but I have to yet to see one that actually does. Most of us do end up using concealers.

Hopefully one of the other ladies has good experience with a product for this.

tkonon- If you have purple-hued under eye circles, there's a very strong chance that it's due to dehydration or lack of sleep. Yes yes, I'm sure you've heard of this, but here me out- The skin around the eye area is extraordinarily thin. There's not a lot going on between your blood and the rest of the world. When you are dehydrated or have little sleep, your skin gets thinner and more transparent. That purple hue is very likely just your blood flow showing through. First things first: Get a good nights sleep and drink plenty of water to plump your skin up. If those two things don't help, I'm pretty certain it's hyper pigmentation (even if you say it isn't.) You may want to give EyeDews a try. I got sent a bunch of samples, and I don't have under eye issues put to experiment I put them on anyways. Holy cow, my under eyes were bright afterwards! 

Can hyper-pigmentation be purplish though? I thought it was always a brownish tan looking thing. 

As for sleep, there are times during break when I had a pretty solid sleep schedule and they still occur.

Dehydration is a possibility.  I have experimented by drinking excessive amounts of water and then looking for a change, but to no avail. I guess if drinking water is an accumulative thing then maybe I should be more strict with it. I probably drink about 2 water bottles of water daily. Should I be drinking more?

One idea I had was some sort of skin irritating/peeling cream which would cause the skin to come back thicker? Are there any products that can thicken skin in that way?

Originally Posted by tkonon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can hyper-pigmentation be purplish though? I thought it was always a brownish tan looking thing. 

As for sleep, there are times during break when I had a pretty solid sleep schedule and they still occur.

Dehydration is a possibility.  I have experimented by drinking excessive amounts of water and then looking for a change, but to no avail. I guess if drinking water is an accumulative thing then maybe I should be more strict with it. I probably drink about 2 water bottles of water daily. Should I be drinking more?
Yes it can be purple or bluish as well.

You absolutely need more water than that. The best way is to carry around your cup or water bottle with you and keep sipping throughout your day. I found that when I started drinking a larger volume of water consistently that my skin really got brighter, softer and the coloring evened out a bit. It's actually surprising at how much of an effect it has.

Things like hydration, good rest, and less stress all have a cumulative effect. In other words, the more you do it regularly the more of a positive effect it has on your body. You can't just do these things for a few days and expect great results. If things are damaged, they need time and care to heal. Your body always rewards you when you care for it.

I have been drinking more water and trying to get more sleep and I think I can see some slight improvement. I dont think this will completely make my under eye circles to go away but it does seem to help. I heard that retinol cream makes skin thicken which would definitely help because most of the reason i believe i have under eye circles is because of my thin translucent under eye circle skin. Has anybody had any success with retinol?? 

I haven't used retinol before, but maybe you could look into an anti-aging eye cream? These products are pretty girly (https://www.bonaclara.com/), but my man uses my night cream from time to time when he had a really crazy week and didn't get much sleep (although I doubt I could get him to admit that in public!). The reason I personally love this brand is because they don't use any harsh chemicals in the products - it's all natural, so it doesn't irritate my skin at all. The skin around your eye is some of the most delicate and sensitive on your body, which is why I go with natural products.

My man also loves Kiehl's as well (and I use their Ultra Facial Moisturizer) - and I know they released some new anti-aging products and a new eye repair serum that has gotten really great reviews! Check out their website here (http://www.kiehls.com/), and if you're looking to sample the product before using, I know you can get some at Nordstrom or an actual Kiehl's store.

Hope that helps! GOOD LUCK!

Latest posts

Back