Urban Decay Cosmetics are expanding to China and are no long cruelty free =/

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone read Lush's statement regarding selling in China? This is what UD should have done. This whole thing really saddens me. I also think Cora wrote a fantastic blog post about it, definitely check it out if you have a little bit longer than a few minutes. 

Sorry if I offend anyone, but

I think it's total bullshit that they say they're going to start selling in China so they can possibly change their mind about animal testing.

China is not going to change their laws on animal testing just because of UD.

I think they just want more money, like every other company that recently started selling in China.

This is saddening. I am not hardcore about only purchasing cruelty free products but I feel better about supporting the companies that are cruelty free. I always get a smile and a warm feeling to see "this product has not been tested on animals" or other statements of the like. My money does lean towards cruelty free though. I am more willing to pay a higher price if it is cruelty free. What is also disappointing is the statement they put out. They are not going to "change China's policies" by going along with them. You show people it needs to change by refusing to participate until it does change, otherwise you are supporting them silently by not speaking out against their practices and refusing to participate in them.

i decided to go completely cruelty free as of this weekend. i already started clearing out everything. it's tougher than i thought, i and i'm sad about getting rid of my favorite foundation (estee lauder), my favorite blush (mac "uncommon" cream blush), and my favorite eyeshadow palettes (Nnaked... sigh). but i keep reminding myself that it's really just make up. it should be fun, and shouldn't hurt anyone. ever since I first heard about the UD thing... i just... i don't know. i'm so upset. i used to only use cruelty free and i honestly don't know what happened. had horrible dreams tonight and i can't stop thinking about it. in some way i need to thank urban decay, as weird as that sounds, or getting me thinking again. 

goodbye urban decay.. and estee.. and smashbox.. and MAC... looking forward, however, to trying more tarte, more thebalm, more physician's formula and more sephora brand make up including their exclusive lines like kat von d and tarana tarantino! and, now, i can also finally justifying dropping ridiculous money (when i have it, of course) on hourglass, guerlain and givenchy :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> LOL!

is there a group or assigned thread for cruelty free beauty on MUT? i know a few gals on here solely use CF make up. it would be nice for a once-again newbie to have someone to talk to! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Katie-Gaslight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i decided to go completely cruelty free as of this weekend. i already started clearing out everything. it's tougher than i thought, i and i'm sad about getting rid of my favorite foundation (estee lauder), my favorite blush (mac "uncommon" cream blush), and my favorite eyeshadow palettes (Nnaked... sigh). but i keep reminding myself that it's really just make up. it should be fun, and shouldn't hurt anyone. ever since I first heard about the UD thing... i just... i don't know. i'm so upset. i used to only use cruelty free and i honestly don't know what happened. had horrible dreams tonight and i can't stop thinking about it. in some way i need to thank urban decay, as weird as that sounds, or getting me thinking again. 

goodbye urban decay.. and estee.. and smashbox.. and MAC... looking forward, however, to trying more tarte, more thebalm, more physician's formula and more sephora brand make up including their exclusive lines like kat von d and tarana tarantino! and, now, i can also finally justifying dropping ridiculous money (when i have it, of course) on hourglass, guerlain and givenchy :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> LOL!

is there a group or assigned thread for cruelty free beauty on MUT? i know a few gals on here solely use CF make up. it would be nice for a once-again newbie to have someone to talk to! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I just created one here: https://www.makeuptalk.com/groups/show/22/cruelty-free-cosmetic-lovers

Katie - I think you should continue to use your products until you run out then not buy anymore items. It's a waste of an animal's life to throw away the products you already have but that's just my personal opinion.

I have a few UD products that I plan to finish out and be done with.

This this just furthers my support for a brand that I already use a lot, tarte cosmetics. Love their products and that they're cruelty-free. Team tarte! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Katie - I think you should continue to use your products until you run out then not buy anymore items. It's a waste of an animal's life to throw away the products you already have but that's just my personal opinion.
Zadi, I totally know what you mean. I am hoping to be able to swap some of my higher end products for animal friendly alternatives (e.g. I'm hoping to trade the Naked Palettes for something like the Too Faced Natural or Nude Eye Palettes), and see what I'll do with the rest. Throwing them away in the trash would definitely be a shame, especially because I bought them in good faith. I think I wouldn't let it get to that; I'd rather give them away as freebies to close people I know (if they want them, of course - haha). I was also thinking about trying to just return some things I bought recently. Sigh. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@Pancua: THANKS LADY!!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Depending on what you are getting rid of I'd be potentially interested in swapping/buying from you?

Open up a trade thread!

great idea! i will complete my "inventory list" tonight, i hope, and will open one tomorrow with pictures and such! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Perfect! Hopefully I can snag some stuff from you! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm sorry that you had to give up some of your makeup. I definitely admire your strength though. I appreciate you standing up for what you believe. I don't necessarily subscribe to the cruelty-free thing(seeing as I'll be getting some of the products from you I hope :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) but I understand completely why people do, and the only reason I don't is because I don't think I have the strength to give up some of the cosmetic lines that unfortunately aren't cruelty-free. 

However, I hate the way UD went about this. They basically lied, and then came up with this dumb "change china laws" excuse, that will NEVER happen, and if it does, it isn't because of UD :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If they want to change the laws, they can do so BEFORE entering the market if they're so confident with themselves(I believe in their press release they claim they must be in the market to make the change, but I think that's bologna) :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've also decided to go completely cruelty free, but I'm going to finish my products that I already have. The hair line (devacurl) I use is cruelty free and a lot of it is vegan, so I'm fine there. I think once I'm out of all my products (which honestly, its going to be a while), I'll try out cargo's plantlove line. 

i'll be finishing my UD products and experimenting with others in the meantime to find CF replacements. i will soon be trying tarte mascara to replace lush lash. *fingers crossed* that i love it.

awww...that sucks. i mean, i think animal testing isn't needed for makeup.

they should be testing it on a person. i mean, animals don't have the exact same

skin as we do, so it doesn't make sense to why they have to test on them.

some people can still be allergic to makeup or have a reaction, that's why you are

suppose to test on your forearm or wrist. i'm not gonna completely just shut out

urban decay because of this. they aren't the ones doing it anyways, its the chinese

who want to. if they feel like they have to, then that's their problem. not urban decay's.

Originally Posted by ShortyPirate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

awww...that sucks. i mean, i think animal testing isn't needed for makeup.

they should be testing it on a person. i mean, animals don't have the exact same

skin as we do, so it doesn't make sense to why they have to test on them.

some people can still be allergic to makeup or have a reaction, that's why you are

suppose to test on your forearm or wrist. i'm not gonna completely just shut out

urban decay because of this. they aren't the ones doing it anyways, its the chinese

who want to. if they feel like they have to, then that's their problem. not urban decay's.
that's a big controversy with the current situation. nobody held a gun to urban decay's head saying "go sell in china, or else...". they decided to enter the market out of free will, because they want more money and such. i think that's a major point why me, and so many other people, are disappointed and completely pissed off. 

Personally, I think only way to be truely cruelty free when it comes to cosmetics is to just not wear them. Where do you draw the line? Does the finished product have to not be tested on animals, or ever single one of the ingredients? Every single ingredient in cosmetics, at some point or another, has been tested on animals one way or another.

Luckily, I don't own much UD stuff... I bought the Naked pallette, I have the Urban Bride set, and an eyeliner. I personally feel I can still use the products that I have because they were manufactured under the "cruelty free" label. So I know that what I have has not been tested on animals. But as of recently with this whole China merger thing... I will NOT buy another UD product.

As far as "Not taking out on UD but taking it out on the party that will be testing (China)... Sorry but NO. UD is selling to China with the full knowledge that the products will be tested on animals which goes against everything they stand for. They may not be the ones testing on animals but with them going into this with the full knowledge that China will... UD may as well be too.

It kind of reminds me of those shelters that claim to be "kill free". Yeah, they claim to be kill free and I'll give them the fact that they are. But what you don't know is they can't keep animals in their shelters long so if they aren't adopted out in a certain period of time, they hand them over to shelters that do euthanize. So is it fair to say it's not the Kill Free shelter's fault because they weren't the ones to actually do it even though they knowingly sent the animal to a shelter that does? Think about it.

Originally Posted by hjc682 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally, I think only way to be truely cruelty free when it comes to cosmetics is to just not wear them. Where do you draw the line? Does the finished product have to not be tested on animals, or ever single one of the ingredients? Every single ingredient in cosmetics, at some point or another, has been tested on animals one way or another.

We can't change what happened 20,40, or 70 years ago. And finished products are barely tested anyway, this is just a blanket term someone invented to not straight up say "yes, we test". I mean, they don't go arround applying blush on a bunny or making sure the bronzer looks good on a dog. Just sayin'. 

Originally Posted by hjc682 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not to be rude, but I don't agree with your statement. It's true there aren't clear lines, but there can be distinctions made. Company A that uses an ingredient once tested on animals by Company B cannot and should not be held liable for Company B's actions. For a company to be CF, it should be linked to their current company involvement with animal testing, not for any actions done previously.

In the argument of animal testing, I'm probably more pro (which also probably means that my opinion is an unwelcomed one in this thread haha). I value AT for its place in developing safe products for consumers. However, I've been looking online, but haven't really been able to find a reason why cosmetics companies today continue to conduct animal testing with cosmetics, unless it's to test new materials/ingredients not used before. It's expensive in resources and time, so I can't imagine why corporations would continue to animal test unless there was a reason behind it.

I think financially speaking, this was a smart move for UD. It's unfortunate because they've kind of been touting themselves as CF/etc., and now they sort of have to retract that. It's true that they aren't the ones testing, which in my mind does make a difference. As someone who isn't a strictly CF product consumer, I'm going to continue buying UD cosmetics.

Back