Urban Decay Cosmetics are expanding to China and are no long cruelty free =/

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not against animal testing for medical reasons but I don't see the need for animal testing in cosmetics. My thoughts is that Urban Decay wants to "change" the Chinese mind set but by the Chinese government forcing animal testing on the products then UD won't be able to do that otherwise they can't sell their products in China. What UD should have done was tell the Chinese government that unfortunately they won't be selling in China after all.
Agreed.  Im very upset about this.  Im a loyal supporter and fan of UD, they have lots of my money.  I think my business with them is over.

Two things that have bothered me in the whole fracas (and, no, cruelty-free isn't a deal breaker for me), both from friends of mine on Facebook. The first one is a gal who said that she's signing all the petitions and emailing UD to tell them that she won't be buying from them--but admitted to me that she will. Kinda defeats the purpose, no? The other was a gal who when I said that "cruelty-free isn't a big issue to me" jumped all UP in my face about how it's horrible for "animals to die for human vanity." This wouldn't have bothered me, except that she is a designer herself--whose first collection is ALL LEATHER. Not pleather--animal skin. 

SMH

http://www.urbandecay.com/Animal-Testing-Policy/animal-testing-policy,default,pg.html

Animal Testing Policy Urban Decay is a cruelty-free brand and is committed to ending animal testing. We do not test our finished products on animals, nor do we allow others to test on our behalf. Additionally, we require our suppliers to certify that the raw materials used in the manufacture of our products are not tested on animals. Our practices are certified by both PETA and The Leaping Bunny Program (CCIC) as cruelty-free.

UD Decides Not to Sell in China After careful consideration of many issues, we have decided not to start selling Urban Decay products in China. While several factors were important in reaching this decision, ultimately we did not feel we could comply with current regulations in China and remain true to our core principles. We know there are many progressive consumers in China who would embrace an opportunity to purchase non-animal tested products - our hope remains that we have the chance to offer Urban Decay products to these consumers someday in the future.

Following our initial announcement, we realized that we needed to step back, carefully review our original plan, and talk to a number of individuals and organizations that were interested in our decision. We regret that we were unable to respond immediately to many of the questions we received, and appreciate the patience our customers have shown as we worked through this difficult issue.

Since our founding in 1996, we have been committed to ending animal testing in the cosmetics industry. As demonstrated by the renewed support we have received from organizations like PETA and the CCIC, this principle remains at our core. Urban Decay does not test its finished products on animals, nor do we allow others to test on our behalf, and we require our suppliers to certify that the raw materials used in the manufacture of our products are not tested on animals. Urban Decay is proud to be 100% cruelty-free.

If you have additional questions, please email us at [email protected].

Vegan Products
vegan_cert_notext.gif
If you see a purple paw print next to a product, Urban Decay certifies that it does not contain any animal-derived ingredients. Please note that within a product category, such as Eyeshadows, some shades will be marked with the vegan paw print, and others will not. We have an ongoing initiative with our laboratories to not only create shades (and entire product lines) that are vegan from the start, but also to identify which of our non-vegan products can be converted. In many situations, plant-derived or synthetic alternatives to animal-derived ingredients become available. As long as we can deliver the same high-quality products with rich color and texture, we will convert that product to 100% vegan ingredients, so be on the lookout for new offerings. We are often asked which of our products do not contain animal by-products, and for those customers, we offer our paw.

Animal Testing Policy
Urban Decay is a cruelty-free brand and is committed to ending animal testing. We do not test our finished products on animals, nor do we allow others to test on our behalf. Additionally, we require our suppliers to certify that the raw materials used in the manufacture of our products are not tested on animals. Our practices are certified by both PETA and The Leaping Bunny Program (CCIC) as cruelty-free.

UD Decides Not to Sell in China After careful consideration of many issues, we have decided not to start selling Urban Decay products in China. While several factors were important in reaching this decision, ultimately we did not feel we could comply with current regulations in China and remain true to our core principles. We know there are many progressive consumers in China who would embrace an opportunity to purchase non-animal tested products - our hope remains that we have the chance to offer Urban Decay products to these consumers someday in the future.

Following our initial announcement, we realized that we needed to step back, carefully review our original plan, and talk to a number of individuals and organizations that were interested in our decision. We regret that we were unable to respond immediately to many of the questions we received, and appreciate the patience our customers have shown as we worked through this difficult issue.

Since our founding in 1996, we have been committed to ending animal testing in the cosmetics industry. As demonstrated by the renewed support we have received from organizations like PETA and the CCIC, this principle remains at our core. Urban Decay does not test its finished products on animals, nor do we allow others to test on our behalf, and we require our suppliers to certify that the raw materials used in the manufacture of our products are not tested on animals. Urban Decay is proud to be 100% cruelty-free.

If you have additional questions, please email us at [email protected].

I seriously could not be happier about this!!! For people who are Cruelty free will this affect your decision whether or not to purchase the brand?

I am SO SO SO happy about this. People speaking their minds and calling them on completely going against everything they've stood for really made a difference. Now time for me to start saving up for that smoked palette without any guilt. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Wow, that turned around very quickly. I'm sure the backlash was enough to scare UD from taking the risk of losing customers.

This makes me smile. With so much crappy stuff happening in the world it is good to see people influencing change for the better. Society hasn't lost their conscience yet.

I'm glad they stepped back, looked at what their company has stood for, and reconsidered. I will continue to buy UD products, because while I don't like the fact that they were willing and ready to compromise their moral standards, I do like the fact that they really thought about it, and realized what should come first.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm glad they stepped back, looked at what their company has stood for, and reconsidered. I will continue to buy UD products, because while I don't like the fact that they were willing and ready to compromise their moral standards, I do like the fact that they really thought about it, and realized what should come first.
Idk, I don't they think they changed their mind due to them realizing they were making a mistake.  I believe they changed their mind due to not wanting to take the risk of losing long loyal standing customers in the chance of not making a profit in China.  It really does lower my opinion of UD. In in the end it's all about money.

This is great news! Leaping Bunny has also issued a statement reinstating their certification with them. 

Quote: July 6, 2012The Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics’ (CCIC) Leaping Bunny Program is pleased to announce that it has recertified Urban Decay as cruelty-free after the company made the decision to cancel plans to sell its products in China, a country that requires animal testing. â€œWe are very happy with Urban Decay’s decision and appreciate that they came through with what we needed for recertification,†said CCIC Chair Sue Leary. The CCIC removed Urban Decay from its list of cruelty-free companies in early June when the company informed them of its intent to enter the Chinese market. Responding to an outpouring of extreme disappointment from compassionate consumers, Urban Decay has reversed its decision and recommitted to the Leaping Bunny Program’s Corporate Standard of Compassion for Animals. The company stated that it has no intention of selling products in China until it can do so without the need for animal test data. â€œWe've decided not to start selling Urban Decay products in China because we did not feel we could comply with current regulations in China and remain true to our core principles,†said Urban Decay Cofounder, Wende Zomnir. “Our hope remains that the adoption of alternatives to animal testing worldwide will enable us to offer Urban Decay products in the future to anyone, including many progressive consumers in China, who value cruelty-free cosmetics.†Leary added, “This wouldn’t have happened without all the compassionate consumers who protested the company’s move into China. Clearly, there is a substantial market segment that makes buying decisions based on a company’s position on animal testing. Companies ignore that at their peril.†The Leaping Bunny Program offers the most up-to-date list of companies that have committed to no new animal testing throughout their manufacturing process, from ingredients to finished products. The Leaping Bunny Logo is consistently ranked by third parties as the cruelty-free logo that can be trusted the most. Since 1996, the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics (CCIC) has been connecting compassionate consumers with cruelty-free companies. The CCIC is made up of the following organizations: American Anti-Vivisection Society; Animal Alliance of Canada; Beauty Without Cruelty, USA; Doris Day Animal League; Humane Society of Canada; The Humane Society of the United States; and the New England Anti-Vivisection Society. CCIC’s international partner is the European Coalition to End Animal Experiments. For more information, contact the CCIC at (888) 546-2242 or [email protected]. 

Leaping Bunny just posting saying UD will be getting their cruelty free certs back

Special Announcement! We are very pleased to announce that Urban Decay has made the decision to cancel plans to sell its products in China, a country that requires animal testing. They have already officially recommitted to the Leaping Bunny Program and are back on our cruelty-free list. This reversal happened because of customers like you who told the company that you only buy cruelty-free cosmetics. They listened and did the right thing. Thanks, LB Peeps, for standing up for the animals! For more information, visit our website: http://www.leapingbunny.org/press5.php

Peta has also issued a statement and re certified them

Quote: Great news! Following thousands of your e-mails and talks with PETA, Urban Decay has announced that it won't sell its products in China until non-animal testing methods are accepted there. We are delighted that Urban Decay is staying true to its ethic of producing top-quality products without harming animals—even though it means giving up a market share in China—and we're pleased to return the company to our list of cruelty-free companies!

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Idk, I don't they think they changed their mind due to them realizing they were making a mistake.  I believe they changed their mind due to not wanting to take the risk of losing long loyal standing customers in the chance of not making a profit in China.  It really does lower my opinion of UD. In in the end it's all about money.
I see what you are saying, but I prefer to think being called out on it  made them realize they were foregoing everything they had stood for. 

And as far as it being all about money, they are a for profit company, so if going back to their roots and long standing ethical code is good for them as a business, I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

Going against your morals for money is one thing, and what would have happened if they entered the chinese market. To me, practicing what you've preached and making a profit off of it is another story. 

Also, I doubt they will be making more money here staying cruelty free than they would have if they had expanded into China. They still had 500k likes on facebook, and less than 8000 people had signed a change.org petition about it. To be honest, UD's biggest customer base is not actual vegans/cruelty free customers. While yes, UD appeals to that customer group, they also have a whole lot of customers who don't care about that and like UD for the quality products they produce. 

Going into China would have opened them up to a billion new customers, they gave that up to stick with what the company stands for. To me, that means something. 

Wow! It's great to see a company truly take customer opinions/feedback into consideration and actually act on it. How refreshing!

This may have already been answered, so I apologize if its a repeat:

So in order to sell in China, the Chinese government would have to test it on animals, does that rule not apply for products that are actually manufactured there? I would think if they have to animal test it to sell it there, they would test any products that are made there as well. 

Originally Posted by hjc682 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This may have already been answered, so I apologize if its a repeat:

So in order to sell in China, the Chinese government would have to test it on animals, does that rule not apply for products that are actually manufactured there? I would think if they have to animal test it to sell it there, they would test any products that are made there as well. 
They only have to test to sell there, not to manufacture there. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see what you are saying, but I prefer to think being called out on it  made them realize they were foregoing everything they had stood for. 

And as far as it being all about money, they are a for profit company, so if going back to their roots and long standing ethical code is good for them as a business, I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

Going against your morals for money is one thing, and what would have happened if they entered the chinese market. To me, practicing what you've preached and making a profit off of it is another story. 

Also, I doubt they will be making more money here staying cruelty free than they would have if they had expanded into China. They still had 500k likes on facebook, and less than 8000 people had signed a change.org petition about it. To be honest, UD's biggest customer base is not actual vegans/cruelty free customers. While yes, UD appeals to that customer group, they also have a whole lot of customers who don't care about that and like UD for the quality products they produce. 

Going into China would have opened them up to a billion new customers, they gave that up to stick with what the company stands for. To me, that means something. 
THIS. I see people on their page still saying they wont support their brand. To an extent I can kind of understand, but really? They tried to branch out and possibly increase their profit margin, they got a lot of backlash for it, they decided not to do it. What more do people want? I understand for some people just the idea that UD would sell out like that is enough to not want to purchase anymore, but they never even sold so much as a lipstick in China. Everyone makes mistakes, they decided to make it right. I guess there are just people out there you just cant please. I do think its a bit redonkulous some of the people on their page are still threatening to sell their entire UD stash......even if they went to China, selling your old stuff wouldnt really mean anything, as their old stuff would have still been vegan.

Im glad they decided to not do it, even though there are still some naysayers for the brand.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This makes me smile. With so much crappy stuff happening in the world it is good to see people influencing change for the better. Society hasn't lost their conscience yet.
This!

Back