Urban Decay Cosmetics are expanding to China and are no long cruelty free =/

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great news
claps.gif

Originally Posted by hjc682 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

THIS. I see people on their page still saying they wont support their brand. To an extent I can kind of understand, but really? They tried to branch out and possibly increase their profit margin, they got a lot of backlash for it, they decided not to do it. What more do people want? I understand for some people just the idea that UD would sell out like that is enough to not want to purchase anymore, but they never even sold so much as a lipstick in China. Everyone makes mistakes, they decided to make it right. I guess there are just people out there you just cant please. I do think its a bit redonkulous some of the people on their page are still threatening to sell their entire UD stash......even if they went to China, selling your old stuff wouldnt really mean anything, as their old stuff would have still been vegan.

Im glad they decided to not do it, even though there are still some naysayers for the brand.
I just don't see why anyone would even think that UD would care if they sold their used UD stuff, lol. Not making new purchases is what would actually impact UD. People are so silly sometimes. 

Me too!   I so sad when I saw the Smoke palette that I would not be able to buy it, but now I can! 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am SO SO SO happy about this. People speaking their minds and calling them on completely going against everything they've stood for really made a difference. Now time for me to start saving up for that smoked palette without any guilt. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Quote: Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Idk, I don't they think they changed their mind due to them realizing they were making a mistake.  I believe they changed their mind due to not wanting to take the risk of losing long loyal standing customers in the chance of not making a profit in China.  It really does lower my opinion of UD. In in the end it's all about money.

I see what you are saying, but I prefer to think being called out on it  made them realize they were foregoing everything they had stood for. 

And as far as it being all about money, they are a for profit company, so if going back to their roots and long standing ethical code is good for them as a business, I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

Going against your morals for money is one thing, and what would have happened if they entered the chinese market. To me, practicing what you've preached and making a profit off of it is another story. 

Also, I doubt they will be making more money here staying cruelty free than they would have if they had expanded into China. They still had 500k likes on facebook, and less than 8000 people had signed a change.org petition about it. To be honest, UD's biggest customer base is not actual vegans/cruelty free customers. While yes, UD appeals to that customer group, they also have a whole lot of customers who don't care about that and like UD for the quality products they produce. 

Going into China would have opened them up to a billion new customers, they gave that up to stick with what the company stands for. To me, that means something. 
I get what your saying & agree with a lot of what you mentioned. If nothing else, hopefully all this did make them at least realize what a dedicated fan base they have.

Faith in humanity, RESTORED. Sorry my fellow sisters in China & Hong Kong. You still have to get your little butt to the US to get your hands on Urban Decay :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I agree with this.  Sad.  I'm just getting into makeup and stuff, and the Urban Decay eyeliner in Covet was the first thing I bought at Sephora.  Now I'm going to be looking for my cruelty-free products somewhere else.  Does anybody have recommendations?

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not against animal testing for medical reasons but I don't see the need for animal testing in cosmetics. My thoughts is that Urban Decay wants to "change" the Chinese mind set but by the Chinese government forcing animal testing on the products then UD won't be able to do that otherwise they can't sell their products in China. What UD should have done was tell the Chinese government that unfortunately they won't be selling in China after all.

Originally Posted by studiomakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did you guys know that each ingredient has been tested on it's own, but a company can say no animal testing when the product in it's whole state has not been tested on animals.

The more companies that keep going to China the harder it will become for their government to keep up their draconian ways.
I had heard this, especially about products containing SPF.  In the U.S. the specific product they put the SPF ingredients may not be tested on animals, but SPF is considered a drug by the USDA, so it has been tested on animals.  Sad, but true.  We all need sunscreen. 

I am SO happy they changed their mind. I swapped a bunch of stuff I had, but nothing that couldn't be repurchased, and I love the stuff I got in return, so that's alright. I'm still a bit iffy because I hope they don't keep flopping around and around and change their minds every couple of months, but we shall see. I'm very pleased, especially because not only did they change their mind, but also helped me "open my eyes" I guess. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Clearly I did not read the entire thread before I posted earlier. 

Originally Posted by Beauty-Flawed /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is great news! Leaping Bunny has also issued a statement reinstating their certification with them. 

Quote: July 6, 2012The Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics’ (CCIC) Leaping Bunny Program is pleased to announce that it has recertified Urban Decay as cruelty-free after the company made the decision to cancel plans to sell its products in China, a country that requires animal testing. â€œWe are very happy with Urban Decay’s decision and appreciate that they came through with what we needed for recertification,†said CCIC Chair Sue Leary. The CCIC removed Urban Decay from its list of cruelty-free companies in early June when the company informed them of its intent to enter the Chinese market. Responding to an outpouring of extreme disappointment from compassionate consumers, Urban Decay has reversed its decision and recommitted to the Leaping Bunny Program’s Corporate Standard of Compassion for Animals. The company stated that it has no intention of selling products in China until it can do so without the need for animal test data. â€œWe've decided not to start selling Urban Decay products in China because we did not feel we could comply with current regulations in China and remain true to our core principles,†said Urban Decay Cofounder, Wende Zomnir. “Our hope remains that the adoption of alternatives to animal testing worldwide will enable us to offer Urban Decay products in the future to anyone, including many progressive consumers in China, who value cruelty-free cosmetics.†Leary added, “This wouldn’t have happened without all the compassionate consumers who protested the company’s move into China. Clearly, there is a substantial market segment that makes buying decisions based on a company’s position on animal testing. Companies ignore that at their peril.†The Leaping Bunny Program offers the most up-to-date list of companies that have committed to no new animal testing throughout their manufacturing process, from ingredients to finished products. The Leaping Bunny Logo is consistently ranked by third parties as the cruelty-free logo that can be trusted the most. Since 1996, the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics (CCIC) has been connecting compassionate consumers with cruelty-free companies. The CCIC is made up of the following organizations: American Anti-Vivisection Society; Animal Alliance of Canada; Beauty Without Cruelty, USA; Doris Day Animal League; Humane Society of Canada; The Humane Society of the United States; and the New England Anti-Vivisection Society. CCIC’s international partner is the European Coalition to End Animal Experiments. For more information, contact the CCIC at (888) 546-2242 or [email protected]. 

i'm thrilled, though i must say that i did discover some good stuff from tarte, Too Faced and ELF while my boycott was in place. i don't think anything can ever replace some of my 24/7 pencils, though.

Originally Posted by Jess Bailey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i don't think anything can ever replace some of my 24/7 pencils, though.
I've been in love with NYX Slide on Pencils which are half the price, although I still have a bunch of UD 24/7's still lying around, lol.

How can we expect a company to be out of the largest potential market in the world? As capitalists, we almost have an obligation to capitalize on such opportunities. China is the one that has to change its backward policies! 

Juliana 

Just wanted to add this update here, kind of old news but it wasn't mentioned in this thread!

Urban Decay Decides Not to Sell in China - at Temptalia.

So how does everyone feel about this situation now? Personally I'm glad they listened to their customers and reconsidered. Would it have been better if they had never done it in the first place? Sure. But in life, you live, you make mistakes, you learn. Hopefully you never do them again once you're learned that lesson. Companies are run by human beings, so the same kind of mistakes can happen. Let's hope it won't be repeated (and comes as a warning to other companies who might try to do the same) and be glad that this disaster was averted!

Originally Posted by Juliana PB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How can we expect a company to be out of the largest potential market in the world? As capitalists, we almost have an obligation to capitalize on such opportunities. China is the one that has to change its backward policies! 

Juliana 
A country needs to change its policy so that a foreign company can go in and profit from it. Awesome philosophy! 

Back