Urban Decay Cosmetics are expanding to China and are no long cruelty free =/

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Urban Decay just posted this to their Facebook page"

"To all our UDers: We have decided to sell Urban Decay products in China. Because of China’s policies, this has upset some of our loyal fans who are also animal rights activists. For complete information, please visit www.urbandecay.com/chinainfo. We are listening to all of your feedback and questions, and will try to address every single one of you. We do want to address one FAQ: No, Urban Decay will not test on animals in China. However, the Chinese government may conduct a test using our products before they can be sold there. We absolutely realize that for many of you, it makes no difference who is doing the testing. But, animal rights are still very much important to Urban Decay, and our decision was a thoughtful one. Changes are already happening in China, and we will give our all to help advocate alternative methods."

As a customer of more than 12 years am VERY disappointed in this. Their products have always clearly stated "We don't do animal testing. How could anyone?". By knowingly selling their products to a market they know by law has to test on animals they are losing their Leaping Bunny & cruelty free certifications that have always been on their products and site 
plthumbsdown.gif

Thoughts? 

Well, that is a big let down. Obviously they are putting profit above their supposed moral standards. As a company, one of their big draws was the cruelty free things (you can even tell, as they label their products vegan, cruelty free, etc), and I don't see this going well for them for people who care about that, which imo are a large part of their market. Obviously, I'll use up the products I have from them, but more and more I turn to Tarte. If I'm going to spend that much on a product, I want to feel good about the purchase. 

For me personally, I don't like how they addressed this and made up excuses for it. I use other brands that does animal testing because they sell in China, such as MAC, but the way UD addressed it was just a big no. I feel like it's just a sucky move on their part since UD is always raving about how they're cruelty free & all that, just to pull out of it and say "Just kidding, we're going to not be 100% cruelty free anymore because we feel that if we go into another country that requires testing on animals, that we can address other issues such as womens rights" and all that crap.

I'm not against animal testing for medical reasons but I don't see the need for animal testing in cosmetics. My thoughts is that Urban Decay wants to "change" the Chinese mind set but by the Chinese government forcing animal testing on the products then UD won't be able to do that otherwise they can't sell their products in China. What UD should have done was tell the Chinese government that unfortunately they won't be selling in China after all.

it seems like there are approaches they could have been taken to raise awareness about animal testing in china.

educate makeup buyers there, tell them urban decay's stance on it, tell buyers why urban decay cannot sell makeup in china because it goes against their moral beliefs. urban decay can't make the government change their policies, the people of china have to want the change.

so i just don't see how selling their make up there before doing anything like that is going to fix anything? it seems me to me that they're just out to give people what they want before other makeup retailers get in there.

This is really disappointing especially after all the years they have been against it. I don't feel like they are being completely honest with their customer base either when they say the Chinese government "may" test their products there is no "may" if the products are sold over there they will have been tested on animals. With a population of over a billion people it's clear that the money is the reason why they are diving into that market, even if they say that's not what their going for.

Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

it seems like there are approaches they could have been taken to raise awareness about animal testing in china.

educate makeup buyers there, tell them urban decay's stance on it, tell buyers why urban decay cannot sell makeup in china because it goes against their moral beliefs. urban decay can't make the government change their policies, the people of china have to want the change.

so i just don't see how selling their make up there before doing anything like that is going to fix anything? it seems me to me that they're just out to give people what they want before other makeup retailers get in there.
I don't think the people of China really have an input, or are allowed to.

Did you guys know that each ingredient has been tested on it's own, but a company can say no animal testing when the product in it's whole state has not been tested on animals.

The more companies that keep going to China the harder it will become for their government to keep up their draconian ways.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think the people of China really have an input, or are allowed to.
you're probably right there. i know people have been jailed for speaking out about human rights and internet and such. i'm sure the same would happen to any dissent about any government held opinion.

once again, it's the almighty dollar and corporate greed rather than sticking to the standards and morals the company was founded on and known for. I find it disgusting. All they had to say is they don't sell to anyone who will test on animals. I don't understand why they would even need to test on animals considering the UD line is already released and being sold as a "safe" cosmetic here in the US. So if it's the same formula with the same ingredients... then why?

Originally Posted by TheNittyPretty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

once again, it's the almighty dollar and corporate greed rather than sticking to the standards and morals the company was founded on and known for. I find it disgusting. All they had to say is they don't sell to anyone who will test on animals. I don't understand why they would even need to test on animals considering the UD line is already released and being sold as a "safe" cosmetic here in the US. So if it's the same formula with the same ingredients... then why?
Different governments have different laws. Surprisingly, the US FDA's standards are not very strict. I know waaaaay too much about regulatory thanks to my job, but there are a lot of agreements and things that certain countries sign off on in regards to regulations, but I only know about the one's for medical devices, not cosmetics. Either way, for a country that IS regulated, usually the product needs to be approved by their own FDA (or corresponding governing body), no matter where else it has been approved.

UD was my gateway drug to makeup addiction so this breaks my heart. but as they have abandoned their principles in search of profit, i shall end my loyalty to their brand.

I agree this is super sad and will be the end of my relationship with Urban Decay.  I have unliked them on FB and am unfollowing them on Twitter, will use what products I have and support other brands.

As of late last night/early this morning Urban Decay's site no longer has the Leaping Bunny or Cruelty Free bunny logos on their site. Press release from Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics’ (CCIC) Leaping Bunny Program.

http://www.leapingbunny.org/press6.php Leaping Bunny Program Removes Urban Decay:
China’s Animal Testing Requirements are the Reason

June 6, 2012

PHILADELPHIA—The Leaping Bunny Program, administered by the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics (CCIC), regrets to inform compassionate consumers who look for the Leaping Bunny Logo that Urban Decay is no longer certified as cruelty-free by the Leaping Bunny Program. The company has notified us that they have elected to sell their products in China, which, due to animal testing requirements in that country, will cause them to be in violation of our Corporate Standard of Compassion for Animals.

Concerned individuals may be aware that animal testing requirements implemented last year in China have caused other companies, such as Mary Kay, to be removed from the Leaping Bunny list due to similar concerns. And there may be more, as CCIC continually investigates reports of companies that may be a party to animal testing in order to sell in China.

The Leaping Bunny Program sets itself apart from other cruelty-free lists by reviewing companies’ adherence to a strict no animal testing standard and removing those companies that no longer comply. “The tragedy of this is that testing cosmetic products and ingredients on animals is cruel and unnecessary,†commented Sue Leary, Chair of CCIC. The certification program remains in dialogue with companies and other experts on the issue, and supports efforts to persuade Chinese officials to accept non-animal alternative test methods.

Companies certified through the Leaping Bunny Program pledge to eliminate animal testing from all stages of product development. The company's ingredient suppliers make the same pledge and the result is a product guaranteed to be 100 percent free of new animal testing. All Leaping Bunny companies must be open to independent audits for verification, and pledge commitments are renewed on an annual basis.

Since 1996, the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics has been connecting compassionate consumers with cruelty-free companies. The CCIC is made up of the following organizations: American Anti-Vivisection Society; Animal Alliance of Canada; Beauty Without Cruelty, USA; Doris Day Animal League; Humane Society of Canada; The Humane Society of the United States; and the New England Anti-Vivisection Society. CCIC's international partner is the European Coalition to End Animal Experiments. On the web at www.LeapingBunny.org.

For more information, contact Vicki Katrinak at (888)546-CCIC or [email protected]

I noticed that last night when I went on their website before I deleted them from my favorites. quote name="zadidoll" url="/t/126224/urban-decay-cosmetics-are-expanding-to-china-and- are-no-long-cruelty-free#post_1886392"]As of late last night/early this morning Urban Decay's site no longer has the Leaping Bunny or Cruelty Free bunny logos on their site. Press release from Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics’ (CCIC) Leaping Bunny Program.

I am literally heartbroken by this.  Like.. devastated.  As an employee at Sephora & a vegan cosmetics user, this makes my job AND my personal cosmetics a much harder situation.  I have personally contacted UD multiple times to thank them for their cruelty free ways and commended their efforts to the cause.  I feel like I've been punched in the gut or they've spit in my face.  I'm disgusted & completely disappointed by their decision, and even more disgusted by the bs statement they made, as if we're too stupid to see through they're excuses.  UGH.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As of late last night/early this morning Urban Decay's site no longer has the Leaping Bunny or Cruelty Free bunny logos on their site. Press release from Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics’ (CCIC) Leaping Bunny Program.

I mentioned this in my initial post. Leaping Bunny was on top of revoking their certs

Latest posts

Back