using e/s wet and MAC e/s

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm finding that eye shadow doesn't fade or crease nearly as quickly if I apply it wet. I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now. Does applying it wet in any way "ruin" the eye shadow?

Also, is there a site that lists which MAC eye shadows are which formula? Does the maccosmetics site list it?

Thanks Charmaine! I guess that shows you how often I'm on the MAC site. And it turns out that all my MAC shadows are frosts, what a strange coincidence!

Originally Posted by Charmaine I've never used an e/s wet so I can't help you with that, but on the MAC website, there's alittle drop down menu below the main picture of the e/s where you can pick a finish and it will show all e/s with that finish.

I think MAC e/s are not designed to be used wet, so you may be damaging them somehow. Trisha would know.

Originally Posted by wongy74 I think MAC e/s are not designed to be used wet, so you may be damaging them somehow. Trisha would know. This is true. MAC e/s are not designed to be used wet. If you do use them wet, a film will form over your shadows (bleh). Just use 'em dry with an angle brush.
Or if you really want 'em wet -- try Laura Mercier or another line that specifically designs eyeshadows to be used in that way.

NP Charmaine!

Yea, I ruined my Retrospeck back in the day. Water seeped deep down into the shadow & ruined the pigment quality. I haven't been able to get rid of that film layer.
frown.gif

Oh NO!!!! How bad of a film?? If I use them dry they just fade and crease too quickly. Well maybe no more MAC shadows for me.

Originally Posted by Joyeuux This is true. MAC e/s are not designed to be used wet. If you do use them wet, a film will form over your shadows (bleh). Just use 'em dry with an angle brush.
Or if you really want 'em wet -- try Laura Mercier or another line that specifically designs eyeshadows to be used in that way.

Have you tried an e/s base? Trisha and Janelle like Urban Decay's primer potion.

Originally Posted by leobrat Try using scotch tape on the surface of the shadow. It works for me. omg...when i first read this i thought you were saying you use scotch tape as a shadow base! i better go to bed...

Originally Posted by wongy74 Have you tried an e/s base? Trisha and Janelle like Urban Decay's primer potion. I love UD PP. My e/s never crease when I use it.

Oh hmm I was hoping that I wouldn't have to buy another product to make the MAC shadows work, but I guess I will. I already have Tony and Tina eye shadow base, but I've only used it to even out the skin tone on my eye lids, never as an actual eye shadow base!
icon_redface.gif
I'll have to try it tomorrow with my MAC shadows.

I used pigments wet and it was no problem, but yea, I used MAC pan shadows wet and they got all weird, so be careful. I know that you can use Urban Decay wet because I talked to a few people who put eye drops on their UD shadows and put the brush in and it's no problem.. so I am not sure, maybe only certain finishes can handle the water.. I can see mattes and satins being ruined by water, but not so much the frosts.

Originally Posted by leobrat Try using scotch tape on the surface of the shadow. It works for me. Yea, i've heard that works but you have to do it immediately. I left my poor shadow sitting wet too long...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Marisol I love UD PP. My e/s never crease when I use it. Me too!!!

I've used my mac frosts wet, just dampen the brush and use, so it doesnt get real wet, and I haven't had a problem yet. I've havn't done that to my matte shadow. I better be careful because I didn't know these could ruin the shadow.

I know that Stila shadows are designed to be used wet. I've used both their matt and shimmer shadows wet with no problems at all. I have a really neutral light pinky-peachy-browny colour called eden which looks great dry, but fabulous wet.

Originally Posted by Lealabell I know that Stila shadows are designed to be used wet. I've used both their matt and shimmer shadows wet with no problems at all. I have a really neutral light pinky-peachy-browny colour called eden which looks great dry, but fabulous wet. Oh well I guess I will have to switch to other brands for my eye shadow. If only MAC didn't have so many beautiful tempting colors!!!

Since I don't use MAC, I don't know how they are wet, but I do use most of my shadows wet at some point. I never wet the actual shadow-just the brush and then only slightly. Some pan shadows do tend to get a bit filmy on top when you do this if it gets too wet(I've found it mostly happens with matte colors). But when that happens, I just take a palette knife(but you can use anything) to scrape of the top layer and then it's back to normal. I mostly use this method with shimmer colors. When I want a stronger look with matte colors, I usually use a liquid sealer or eye drops with it instead of plain water.

Latest posts

Back