Using Eyeshadow Wet?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've heard a lot of colors look more intense or last longer when you use them wet. How exactly do you do this? When I've tried, it hasn't gone on at all...and the brushes have to recover from being used wet. Is there a trick or a special way to do this? Help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Also, I've been wanting to try NARS eyeshadows...any recommendations? (these go together because I've heard these eyeshadows aren't that noticeable sometimes unless you use them wet)

You can get loads more colour out of e/s if you use them wet, but this only works with some brands. Both Stila and Shu Uemura e/s are designed to be used wet. When I use them wet I have a little spray bottle that I use to put water on the brush and then I dip the brush it the shadow. This works really well for lining when you want to get a deeper colour.

I have a couple of NARS shadows and I'm not very impressed. They're not really very pigmented and tend to leave just the sparkly bits on your skin after a while.

Like Lea said, only some work well when used wet. Especially some of the cheaper brands. They will not work wet unless they say they are meant to be used wet or dry. I think there are a few but you have to look harder to find them.

It has to do with the ingredients in the shadows. The ones that are used wet are basically the same type of stuff they use to make cake eyeliners where as the cheaper ones have different types of oils in them that don't mix with water. This is probably done to prolong the life of the product and possibly to save costs since it's not a pure pigment once you start adding different emolients into the shadows. My teacher in school also said they make the drugstore brand eyeshadows like that so that it's easier for the average person to use. I sort of agree with that because it did take me some time to learn how to manipulate professional shadows.

I have also found that it's hit & miss with some shadows within the same brand (as in MAC) some of them work well wet and some of them do not. Stila is known for having one of the best formulations of shadows that work well when used wet or dry. Maybe that's why Trisha is always raving about them!
icon_smile.gif

You'll know right away if it is meant to be used wet. Try it out, it can't hurt. You just might have to wash your brushes afterwards!!

I like using my eyeshadows wet because I can get better control and don't have powder falling all over my cheeks. Don't use MAC shadows wet. Big mistake on my part. I hope that I haven't already ruined any of mine.

The only time I wet my eye shadows is when I'm using them as an eyeliner. You can take any eyelining brush, I prefer the MAC flat angled brush, you just dab a little water on the brush and glide it on the eye shadow and violla you have eye liner.

Other than that I don't wet the eye shadows. If you're looking for a more vibrant look another route you can go is to get a Base Cream eye shadow from MAC or take any nuetral colored creme eye shadow, apply it to your eye and then apply your powdered eye shadow right on top of it. This will make the colors much more vibrant and allow the colors to stick and last longer.

Hope that helps=)

Originally Posted by Blondtgr So I've heard a lot of colors look more intense or last longer when you use them wet. How exactly do you do this? When I've tried, it hasn't gone on at all...and the brushes have to recover from being used wet. Is there a trick or a special way to do this? Help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Also, I've been wanting to try NARS eyeshadows...any recommendations? (these go together because I've heard these eyeshadows aren't that noticeable sometimes unless you use them wet)

Oh another thing, natural hair brushes tend to absorb water, so if you are doing any wet looks or creamy shadows you should be using a synthetic brush.

Good info, thanks. I didn't know Mac shadows weren't for wet lining.

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl I like using my eyeshadows wet because I can get better control and don't have powder falling all over my cheeks. Don't use MAC shadows wet. Big mistake on my part. I hope that I haven't already ruined any of mine.

I use pretty much all of my eyeshadows wet, iLOVE that it grabs the color so much better and intensifies it as well!

I have found that the Milani Eyeshadows work very VERY well wet, the color is very rich. Some d/s brands don't work well wet, and some higher end ones don't as well...

It is my belief that it never hurts to try, so I experiment with all of my shadows to see what I can make them do...

Don't use MAC shadows wet, eek!

To add to the list of Stila & Shu Uemura, you can also wet Laura Mercier shadows.

Okay, I was at the drugstore today and decided to check into which brands make wet and dry eyeshadows. I only found two; Marcelle and Rimmel. Some of my MAC shadows do work well when used wet so I really think it depends on which shadow. As mentioned by someone else, it never hurts to try!

Originally Posted by gamaki Okay, I was at the drugstore today and decided to check into which brands make wet and dry eyeshadows. I only found two; Marcelle and Rimmel. Some of my MAC shadows do work well when used wet so I really think it depends on which shadow. As mentioned by someone else, it never hurts to try! Might have to try my one Rimmel shadow wet, then...thanks for the info, gamaki!

Originally Posted by MACGoddess I have found that the Milani Eyeshadows work very VERY well wet, the color is very rich. Some d/s brands don't work well wet, and some higher end ones don't as well... Thanks Leila. I have some Milani shadows so I will have to try them using a wet brush.

I use saline solution when I use my e/s wet - I need to get a spray bottle though, as that's a good idea!! I also wanted to say that Milani e/s do work well wet! I've used Java Bean and Spice wet to line, and my shadows held up just fine.
smile.gif

Yep! I use my MAC matte shadows wet, especially as liners, all the time! Some of them work really well, and others.... not so much.

stila products are really good for being wet so can you use them wet for their palletes too?

sometimes i use my lustres wet. i do a dry layer of e/s first, then spritz my brush with fix + spray and then another layer of e/s like that

I love using most of my e/s wet! :icon_love When I apply it this way, they seem to last longer on my eyes and the color is much more vibrant.

I experimented with my Lancome e/s wet and unfortunately the color did not change, but it lasted awhile on my eyes. With MAC e/s, I've gotten very good results!
claps.gif

On my eyes, NARS e/s does not seem to have the intensity like that of MAC colors, but I think that is NARS style, to be more soft. When I use a base first, the color lasts longer.

I agree with the other gals that it doesn't hurt to try and have fun experimenting!
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Liz sometimes i use my lustres wet. i do a dry layer of e/s first, then spritz my brush with fix + spray and then another layer of e/s like that Isn't it hard to blend the shadow if it goes on wet? Is it blendable once it dries on the eye?

I love applying e/s wet.. I find it gives a more metallic and polished sheen, where sometimes an e/s applied dry can look chalky eventually.

Latest posts

Back