Very Oily Skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been struggling with this for a while now: very oily skin!

I cleanse daily using Clean & Clear Shine Control facial wash whilst I'm showering, and then I use baby wipes to freshen up my face when I'm feeling oily. 

I don't usually moisturise, except occasionally when I use a Garnier oil-free moisturiser.

do like to wear make-up every day, so my oily skin is a big problem for me. I wear a foundation - Max Factor Lasting Performance - and a power over the top of this (Rimmel Stay Matte), which I usually need to top up at least twice a day. This can feel pretty horrible because it gets heavy on my skin.

I've recently been trying out Milk of Magnesia as a base under my foundation. People have been describing it as a miracle cure that tightens pores and reduces shine, but it does little for me.

I basically think it's time to start looking at options to stop or reduce my skins oil production, rather than dealing with the oil after it settles on my skin.

Does anyone know of any way of doing this? I'm open to creams, treatments, medication (over the counter and via doctor) - you name it! It's driving me nuts. 
plain.gif

I should note that I do not suffer from acne. I get a few spots occasionally, but no more than the next person. This all started around 3-4 years ago (I'm 25) so I am betting it's down to some sort of change in hormone levels.

Thanks,

K

I too suffer from extremely oily skin. I used to wash my face with the same stuff. And I've actually found that gentler is the way to go. I used to was my face with clean & clear then use benzoyl peroxide, no lotion. My face would look like a pool it would be so oily. So I went the opposite way. I now wash my face with Ahava rich cleansing cream mixed with Ahava mud exfoliator (both are creamy) and then I follow it with Alba Botanica Rainforest Hydrating Oil Control Moisturizer. Once a week I use Shea Terra's Deep pore cleansing black soap. So far this has worked great for me. I also only wash my face at night. Hope you find something that works for you!

According to my experience best moisturizer for oily skin may seem like a challenge to some. Many people are afraid to moisturize their oily skin. They don’t realize that even oily skin needs moisture and nutrients delivered by such products.

I too have oily skin and I learned that you have to steer clear of toners with alcohol because it causes the skin to product more oil. Also it's not advisable to skip the moisturizer because if the skin gets dry from cleansing, the skin will produce more oil needed by the skin. Use a moisturizer that's suited for your skin type and you will be okay.

My dermatologist told me that I have oily skin because I don't moisturize enough. It sounded backwards, but when I started using moisturizer, the oil factor decreased a lot. I still get shiny nose and Tzone, but my face used to be sopping wet with oil. (Exaggeration, but I was really oily all over my face!)

To take care of your skin its essential to maintain daily skin care routine and Try the beauty product whose ingredients suits your skin otherwise it will damage skin. So be careful while choosing the beauty products.

Nice article I would say I am impressed with the article. People with oily skin are more prone to developing blackheads rather than people with dry skin. Individual or clusters of black color bumps usually seen around the nose, chin and cheeks are the symptoms of blackhead. They are tiny, dark bumps on the skin caused due to blockage of pores caused by excess sebum, dead skin cells. Thanks.

I've been using a 20% salicylic acid solution that I got from Amazon for a little while now and have found that it has cut down the amount of oil my skin is producing. Regarding moisturizers, make sure they contain oils which are good for the skin and which balance sebum production. Moisturizing is definitely important for oily skin. As is a good cleanser. Try dumping your current cleanser and use just a mixture of green clay and unpasteurized honey. Massage it all over your face really well, let it dry on your skin, then rinse off with barely warm - tepid - water. Hot/too warm water also increases oil production. The clay cleans gently but very effectively without stripping and the honey helps control bacteria and acts as a humectant. Foaming cleansers are absolutely not necessary to get your skin clean. We've just been brainwashed into believing that by the skin care and cosmetics industries. The cleanser you're using now is very likely a big part of your problem. Cleansers with SLS in them strip the skin, resulting in the overproduction of oil. Avoid toners as well. You can very easily mix up a solution of distilled water and apple cider vinegar with the 'mother' (it's foggy and has sediment). Try Bragg's brand. Great stuff. Fred Myer carries it and it's inexpensive. Add some essential oils to the water/vinegar mix that would be good for your skin like authentic sandalwood and lavender. That helps tighten the pores without stripping your skin like toners do. The essential oils are also very beneficial to your skin. And no, the vinegar doesn't make you stink. The smell dissipates very quickly. You can either swipe it over your face with a cotton pad or mist it on with a fine mister. Just be sure that if you're buying essential oils that they are 100% real. Sandalwood is very expensive, but you can buy it at 3% or 10% strength in jojoba oil (also very good for the skin and controls sebum production) which cuts down on the cost. Or buy your oils from a wholesaler like I've done for 20 or so years. It saves a lot of money and allows you to get high quality products for a fraction of the price.

Latest posts

Back