Volume at the roots

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What kind of hairspray will give me volume at my roots?? My hair always always lays flat at my part! I hate it.. I know you might say get a haircut but I've done that and it doesn't work for me! So what can I do to give me some volume up there? Thanks girls! =)

I just stick my hands in the middle of my hair and push up. I don't really need any extra product or anything. Also, putting your hair half up when it's damp for awhile will give it extra volume too.

You can always rely on Big Sexy Hair products. I have used all their hairsprays, but I found the aerosol spray to be the best.
smile.gif

Teasing is a quick, non-fail way to achieve volume as well!

Before you blow dry, apply Big Sexy Root Pump Plus to the roots, you can apply this throughout your head, not just the crown. Dry your hair upside down are straight up with fingers/brush. Then you can get more volume by using the Big Sexy Spray and Play hairspray. Just lift up small sections in your hair and spray that onto the root area and use a fine tooth comb and tease it...dont be afraid to tease! After you do that for a few sections, take a large tooth comb or a brush and comb down your hair so that the volume is evened out and not just in one spot. Does that make sense at all? Hope I helped.
smile.gif

These are great suggestions! I'll have to try them out because I have exactly the same problem
frown.gif
I find that if it's annoying me too much then I just clip the front section of my hair straight back and poof it up a bit my pushing it forward and clipping it....hmm it's hard to explain. Like in my avatar but poofed up.

I'm scared of teasing too, maybe I'll try this out. What I hat about flat roots is that it makes it look like I have greasy hair when I don't!

Maybe a slightly side part can help? Because then one side will have more hair and look thicker? Lol! I think it will be a case of experimentation
biggrin.gif

Oh, and also don't use a moisturising shampoo - I find that this weighs my roots down, and my roots are the only place I shampoo (unless I've had heaps of product in my hair), so it's not like I'm depriving my hair of moisture by using a normal shampoo instead.

Originally Posted by Jobunny /img/forum/go_quote.gif .
I'm scared of teasing too, maybe I'll try this out. What I hat about flat roots is that it makes it look like I have greasy hair when I don't!

Why are you afraid of teasing? It wont harm your hair...unless you dont tease right.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Stylist101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Why are you afraid of teasing? It wont harm your hair...unless you dont tease right.
smile.gif
So what's the right way to tease? You need a teasing comb right? I have no idea how to do it and I didn't even know there was a 'right' way to do it!

when i want more volume w/ my hair, i dry my hair upside down, it really works! you should try it.

Originally Posted by Jobunny /img/forum/go_quote.gif So what's the right way to tease? You need a teasing comb right? I have no idea how to do it and I didn't even know there was a 'right' way to do it! A teasing comb is helpful but not necessary. You can find them at Sally's..I'm not sure of what brand they carry there. But, its basically a skinny brush that has boar bristles on it that help with teasing. They work really well and last a long time. But you can still use a regular comb, but tease with the fine end of the comb...and then comb through the teasing with the wide teeth so that your hair is proportionate. Here is hopefully...a help way to help you tease:
Lift up about 1/2 inch section of hair (start at the back of your crown area) hold this section of hair straight up and tight. Then, take some strong hairspray (this will help with keeping the teasing in place but it is not necessary if you hair holds it well) and spray it on just the root area of the hair that you are holding straight up. After you spray that, take your comb and basically, rough up the root area. You want to do this on the back side of the hair you are holding up. When I say rough it up..I mean strong up and down motions with your comb. If you are doing it right, your final result will look like you just made a big knot in your hair...but you didnt! After you tease that section, let go of it and let it fall. Then tease a few more sections, normally I tease around the part. After you are done teasing, take a brush, or the wide tooth of the comb, and lightly comb down your hair, but do not use pressure. This will just even everything out!

Originally Posted by Stylist101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif A teasing comb is helpful but not necessary. You can find them at Sally's..I'm not sure of what brand they carry there. But, its basically a skinny brush that has boar bristles on it that help with teasing. They work really well and last a long time. But you can still use a regular comb, but tease with the fine end of the comb...and then comb through the teasing with the wide teeth so that your hair is proportionate. Here is hopefully...a help way to help you tease:
Lift up about 1/2 inch section of hair (start at the back of your crown area) hold this section of hair straight up and tight. Then, take some strong hairspray (this will help with keeping the teasing in place but it is not necessary if you hair holds it well) and spray it on just the root area of the hair that you are holding straight up. After you spray that, take your comb and basically, rough up the root area. You want to do this on the back side of the hair you are holding up. When I say rough it up..I mean strong up and down motions with your comb. If you are doing it right, your final result will look like you just made a big knot in your hair...but you didnt! After you tease that section, let go of it and let it fall. Then tease a few more sections, normally I tease around the part. After you are done teasing, take a brush, or the wide tooth of the comb, and lightly comb down your hair, but do not use pressure. This will just even everything out!

Thanks so much! I'll try this!

Use big hair products and blow dry your hair upside down. TEASE,TEASE,TEASE.

Go to sally or davidsons and check out the new hair tease brushes.

Also check out the french lace brushes from Canada. They are expensive but worth the money.

Latest posts

Back