Volumizing ?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i am thinking of volumizing my thin, flat hair by perming it at the roots. is this effective? has anyone tried it?

i always thought the big sexy hair mousse made my hair more volumous, but when i took a picture..it looks so flat! i am so sick of flat hair
frown.gif

Originally Posted by sugersoul i am thinking of volumizing my thin, flat hair by perming it at the roots. is this effective? has anyone tried it?
i always thought the big sexy hair mousse made my hair more volumous, but when i took a picture..it looks so flat! i am so sick of flat hair
frown.gif

You can get a root perm, but if your hair is super resistant, it might not last long..
icon_neutral.gif

I'm not sure if it will work or not, but definately ask a good stylist.=)

Seventeen (Oct. issue) has a good article on how to get voluminous hair. I'll just type up some stuff for you from that article.
wink.gif
So credit to Seventeen magazine.

Tip:: Shampoo your hair every other day--your scalp's natural oils add body to your strands. (and also, shampooing your hair every day is not good because it contribute to drying out your hair, so do it twice a week. On the other hand, conditioning your hair everyday is better.)

Get the right cut::

For Straight hair**Ask the stylist to cut short layers at the crown and long layers all over.

**This is optional, but layers do seem to make hair have more body and extra hair.

For Straight hair style it: After you cut short layers, follow these steps to pump up the volume.

(refer to the picture I took with my camera below.)

Products you will be using~

1) Volumizing mousse

2) A round brush

3) A hairdryer

4) Velcro rollers

5) Volumizing hairspray

----------------------------

Step 1:

Finger-comb a golfball size dollop of volumizing mousse through damp hair from roots to ends.

Try: Suave Volumizing Foam, $2 drugstores

Step 2:

Blow-dry hair using a round brush to lift your roots and curl your ends under. (this works great for me, because my hair is also flat and thin)

Try: Goody Round Boar Brush, $10 drugstores

Try: Conair Ion Shine Dryer

Step 3:

While hair is still warm, wrap 3"-wide sections in Velcro rollers. Let hair cool. (about 10 minutes).

Try: Velcro Classic Stylers, $9 for 20, Sally Beauty stores

(Sally Beauty store is awesome (great products, affordable prices), try finding it in your hometown. Here's the website, http://www.sallybeauty.com/

Visit http://www.sallybeauty.com/content/faqs/ for beauty tips.

Step 4:

Remove rollers, scrunch hair, then spritz firm-hold hairspray all over to keep your hair from falling flat.

Try Pantene Pro-V Volumizing Hairspray in Maximum Hold, $4 drugstores.

Before and After Pic: (sorry it's kinda blurry ^^; )

17 Tip: To make your style last all day, try not to touch it--the grease from your palms will weigh it down.

----------------------------

Really hope this helps. ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Experiment around with your hair, get to know your hair...Get to know your hair type, everyone's hair type is different. Is it thin but easily dried out--Flat and straight--etc.

Find what products work and don't work for your hair.
icon_neutral.gif

I'm pretty sure a hair stylist can help you. Go to a salon, ask for a free consultation.

Good luck.
wink.gif

I have thin damaged hair , I started using Biotin Vitatress Volumizing shampoo for thinning hair, its made a big difference in my hair. My hair dont fall out at all anymore, it gives good volume to my hair. Only drawback is, it does make your hair a little dry, but if you use leave in conditioner/shine spray afterwards it looks fine. Plus since it has biotin it does stimulate hair growth. I've noticed my hair grows faster too.

I have a question of my own....I'm looking for a good volumizing shampoo/conditioner. What do you reconmmend?

Not anything that'll make my hair huge. lol. Just nice and more full.
smile.gif

Also any good volumizing mousse?

I have thin oily hair. Dove shampoo was terrible, it left my hair dark and waxy looking.

I liked Matrix volumizing shampoo/conditioner. Biosilk shampoo/conditioner worked well also, even though it's not a volumizing product, it rinses very clean.

Back to Basics makes a couple of different volumizing shampoos/conditioners that are reasonably priced and work very well.

I love Biolage shampoo & conditioners... but if you want one for more volume, BigSexyHair's shampoo helps.
smile.gif

L'oreal Vive volumizing shampoo --> perfect!! it doesn't leave your hairy too dry and plus, the volume lasts longer
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Cirean I have thin oily hair. Dove shampoo was terrible, it left my hair dark and waxy looking.
I liked Matrix volumizing shampoo/conditioner. Biosilk shampoo/conditioner worked well also, even though it's not a volumizing product, it rinses very clean.

I bought the Dove Shampoo/Conditioner a few days back. I only used it twice, so I'm not sure how that'll turn out. But it seems like my hair is a little bit more yet also pretty soft. Hope it doesn't end up as a disappointment.
icon_confused.gif

thanks you guys, I'll consider one of these products.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by bebexkhmergrl I bought the Dove Shampoo/Conditioner a few days back. I only used it twice, so I'm not sure how that'll turn out. But it seems like my hair is a little bit more yet also pretty soft. Hope it doesn't end up as a disappointment.
icon_confused.gif

thanks you guys, I'll consider one of these products.
smile.gif

Hope it works for you... it's always nice to find something that finally works! lol Well, it smells good anyway - so you're not at a total loss if it doesn't
wink.gif

i def. want to try that from seventeen .. it came out so pretty. i just wish my hair could stay like that.

Originally Posted by Linab5 SAMY volumizing shampoo and conditioner. It is sooo good, I love it! and it smells awesome! It doesn't dry out your hair either and leaves NO residue, it contains no wax. I loooove the smell of SAMY products!!!
tongue.gif

I just bought a product called "Root Boost" from LaCoupe and it ROCKS! I too, have limp flat hair (even using volumising mousse, shampoo and whatnot). LaCoupe just launched this product last month as part of their "Volume" line and it's really effective. I spray it in my hair at the roots while it's damp and then I use a bit of mousse (but not at the roots). It smells so good too! I used to only use the LaCoupe volumising mousse but I've noticed a big difference using the "Root Boost"... my hair is still full of body even the morning after. I have a layered haircut that's past my shoulders and I use velcro rollers in the morning to add more volume. HTH!
smile.gif

Yeah.. Dove makes hair more soft and moisture. My hair are natural silk and thin so they look flat and lifeless. i hope pantene volume shampoo will help.. any comment abt this shampoo?

icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by Dolphin Yeah.. Dove makes hair more soft and moisture. My hair are natural silk and thin so they look flat and lifeless. i hope pantene volume shampoo will help.. any comment abt this shampoo?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Pantene shampoos and conditioners have a lot of wax in them... so very rarely have I ever seen them make your hair look more voluminous - usually it weighs it down.
icon_confused.gif

Pantene doesn't work well for me at all especially the "Full and Thick" which for me was a total waste of $ because my hair was limp and flat..it must be full of wax and other things lol. Sexy Hair and Pureology work great for me.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Pantene shampoos and conditioners have a lot of wax in them... so very rarely have I ever seen them make your hair look more voluminous - usually it weighs it down.
icon_confused.gif
Omg are u serious?? did u use before.. oh.. then my hair..........
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by Dolphin Omg are u serious?? did u use before.. oh.. then my hair..........
icon_eek.gif
I've used it... I'm sure everyone has at one point, right? lol It just has a lot of ingredients in it that will cause buildup and can leave your hair looking dull over time. You can use it, just use a good clairfying shampoo once a week to remove the residue. Some people like the feeling the wax leaves... that's why your hair can seem so smooth and shiny the first few times you use it... but eventually it does build up on the hair - and if you're going for volume, well - it doesn't really help much.
icon_confused.gif

Latest posts

Back