War of the Worlds

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided to check it out and I liked it. I haven't seen the original but the special effects where great and I thought that Dakota Fanning did an amazing job. Anyone else see it?

* MINOR SPOILERS! *

We saw it last weekend, I thought it was very intense and suspenseful through the whole movie! Maybe a little too intense for young children if they get scared easily, I saw one girl (about 5 or 6) leave the theater shaking, she was so worked up, yet she claimed she liked the movie ....

I read the book in high school but don't remember it much, although hubby read it just before seeing the movie. Of course there were changes -- in the book it takes place in 1800's England and the main character is alone (no children)! The tripods were also not buried but came down from the sky.... But some other major plot elements were similar, like the crazy guy in the basement and the ending .... I also thought the movie did a pretty good job of representing human emotions in such a disaster, especially the scene where they drive the van through the crowd of people ....

Hubby wants me to tell you that the book is better than the movie though
wink.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek I also thought the movie did a pretty good job of representing human emotions in such a disaster, especially the scene where they drive the van through the crowd of people .... That scene was pretty intense. Also the scene where they are jumping on the ferry. Reminded me of the Titanic.

Originally Posted by Marisol That scene was pretty intense. Also the scene where they are jumping on the ferry. Reminded me of the Titanic. Yeah, my mom saw the movie and emailed me and said "they just stole a bunch of scenes from other movies! The ferry scene is like Titanic, the clouds like Independence Day, the aliens in the basement like Signs .... "
However, Steven Spielburg did plan on making this movie several years ago, but after Independence Day he decided to wait so people wouldn't think he was copying it
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Marisol

I decided to check it out and I liked it. I haven't seen the original but the special effects where great and I thought that Dakota Fanning did an amazing job. Anyone else see it?

We saw this today. Really liked it. Almost a horror type of movie. Some of hte scenes were done very well. The aliens were much more powerful than us HUMANS. Tom Cruise was excellent with the little girl too.

I guess I'm the only one who didn't like it.
icon_neutral.gif

The character storyline needed some real help! I really didn't understand why Cruise's character wanted to get his kids to their mother so bad. Then all of a sudden he becomes this nice guy after they made him out to be such a prick with his kids in the beginning.

It was visually fun to look at and the effect were great, but that was about it.

Just my opinion!

Oh I can answer this. Because the girl wanted to go there? They clearly felt safer and more at home with Mom.

Originally Posted by redrocks

I really didn't understand why Cruise's character wanted to get his kids to their mother so bad.

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Oh I can answer this. Because the girl wanted to go there? They clearly felt safer and more at home with Mom. Right, but why all of a sudden did he care what his kids wanted when 10 minutes before he was being an a-hole and couldn't care less about what his kids wanted. It was all about him.

I just thought the story line was dumb and needed some help.

At the beginning it was probably because of what his son said, that Tom Cruise only wanted to take the kids to their mother so he wouldn't have to protect them! However I think going through such stress together with the kids brought them together ... even in real life traumatic experiences can (sometimes) bring a family closer together!

However I'll agree it wasn't the best character development, but I didn't go see the movie for the characters, lol...

Originally Posted by Trisha What are the ratings in the US and what did War Of The Worlds get? x The ratings in the US are:
G - General Audience

PG - Parental Guidance Suggested

PG-13 people under 13 shouldn't see without an adult

R or NC 17- no one under 17

NR - Not Rated

Most theatres do not force these rules. Some theatres will force the R on NR films, but not like they used to.

Basicly anyone can go into any film they want except for the X rated films (but those are in "special" theatres)

War of the Worlds was PG-13, which means that parental guidance is strongly suggested for children under 13 ... however I see kids under 13 in PG-13 movies all the time. It seems like for the last few years, about the only movies that are rated less than PG-13 are the kid-friendly family movies.

Originally Posted by Trisha

Loved the film, but gota agree about Tom Cruise's character (although i really cant stand him so maybe thats got something to do with it!)
How come kids so young were watching it? The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) awarded it a 12A over here (a parent can take a child under 12 but its not really advised for very young children)

What are the ratings in the US and what did War Of The Worlds get? x

Oh, my kids are classic cases of unsheltering. We explained it to Cameron and he always understands. He is rarely afraid. THis is just the way we do it. We have friends, who are total religious people who dont' even allow thier kids to have sugar or TV ever. WAYYYYY to sheltered. Hello, there is a real world out there, not just religion

i had little "me" day the other day and went to go see this by myself
icon_eek.gif

it was alright. it kills me when people take forever to talk about things and don't hurry up and leave or run!!! it aggrivates me so much! lol. they just stand there talking. hello!!! the aliens are going to get you!

i totally knew that the ferry was a bad idea. i would have been going somewhere by myself. duhhh. they're going to go after the large groups of people!

i was hesitant to see this movie because of all the tom cruise/brooke shields drama about scientology and stuff because now i pretty much hate tom cruise but it wasn't as awful as i expected it to be although i thought it was a little stupid how the aliens just die off i mean it would have been more interesting if they fought u know, but i thought Dakota Fanning was wonderful in it!

The movie wasn't that bad and not that good either.

Steve Spielberg effects and ideas, always awesome though.

I don't really like Tom's character on the movie. But, I admire Dakota; I think she's brilliants.

I think she's the one who got my interest to see the movie.

Originally Posted by chellebelle99 i was hesitant to see this movie because of all the tom cruise/brooke shields drama about scientology and stuff because now i pretty much hate tom cruise but it wasn't as awful as i expected it to be although i thought it was a little stupid how the aliens just die off i mean it would have been more interesting if they fought u know, but i thought Dakota Fanning was wonderful in it! yeah. i thought the ending was kind of stupid also. everything is really bad, then all of a sudden they start dying. i understand that the idea and everything. it just happened all of a sudden and fast.

Originally Posted by Liz yeah. i thought the ending was kind of stupid also. everything is really bad, then all of a sudden they start dying. i understand that the idea and everything. it just happened all of a sudden and fast. exactly its like they get to the mom and then boom guess what the aliens are dead like THAT its like ok wouldn't you think that them being so smart and stuff like knowing how to get into ground and things that they would have figured out a way to build up immunities, and not to mention what was with them needing human blood???and if they used the human blood it has the immunities in the blood so wouldn't they be protected? i thougth it was really unresolved

eww. yeah, i didn't get the whole blood thing. with them sucking it out and then itexpldoing everywhere

Originally Posted by Liz yeah. i thought the ending was kind of stupid also. everything is really bad, then all of a sudden they start dying. i understand that the idea and everything. it just happened all of a sudden and fast. Well, that's how it happened in the book too ... they all just suddenly died of Earth diseases at the end!

Latest posts

Back