Washing your brushes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've noticed that I wash my brushes... a lot. I don't like my eye shadow colors to mix so sometimes I washing my eye shadow brushes daily. Anybody else wash their brushes this frequently? I figure MAs must wash their brushes pretty often. Washing them this often won't ruin the brushes will it?

if you want to clean them, but not over clean (?) them, try using a brush cleaner. that's what the MUAs use inbetween makeovers.

what should i wash my brushes with??? is shampoo okay or should i use soap and how would i dry them???

I use baby shampoo to wash, blot gently to get most of the water out, then air dry completely.

I always use brush cleaner for my brushes when I'm working...I wash them every once in a while, but I only wash them with a non-soap cleanser. Mine is an all natural fruit cleanser from my local health food store. Shampoos and soaps are a little too harsh to use as a regular cleaner.

i use brush off and love it. you spray it, take a tissue and wipe it, and it's dry in literally 2 seconds. of course, i wash my brushes 1-2 times a week with baby shampoo or hand wash.

Originally Posted by chellebelle99 what should i wash my brushes with??? is shampoo okay or should i use soap and how would i dry them??? Shampoo or soap might be too harsh. If you can find baby shampoo or a brush cleaner it would be better for your brushes. To dry them, lay them flat and shape them to before they get completely dry.

Thanks for all the suggestions lovely ladies, but what brands are all these products?? I've been using either just plain water or my face cleanser. I think a gentler cleanser would be a good idea for me to use.

Originally Posted by Trisha I wash my brushes daily (just the ones ive used of course) that's so funny because as i was getting all of my brushes outta the bathroom just now (washed them last night), i was like, does trisha do this EVERY DAY with the amount of brushes she has? LOL

I've tried the Brush Off - that's some good stuff!!! It's great for inbetween cleanings. I use my MAC Brush Cleaner about once a week and give them a good deep cleaning.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha That would take me ages!! Tho they all have a big bath together 2x a month x you know what's funny about that? i actually find that normal and not weird, whereas someone who doesn't know a thing about makeup will probably think you're crazy LOL only makeup addicts
biggrin.gif

I wash my concealer and eyeliner brushes daily. With the eyeliner brushes, I don't know how you couldn't wash them after every using? The product hardens on them.

Powder/Blush brushes I wash once a week.

I use a mild antibacterial soap.I have to wash my brushes,bacteria loves brushes and i love a clear complexion so i try to keep ontop of cleaning them
smile.gif

I wash mine about once weekly with Johnson's Baby Shampoo and have not worn them out yet. I wash my foundation brush more than any of the others.

I deep clean with MAC brush cleaner 2-3 times a month. In between I have some of the cleaner in a spray bottle and spritz a tissue and wipe til clean.

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! I'll probably check out Brush Off and MAC Brush Cleaner first. Maybe I can find them for cheap on ebay. I think my brushes will be much happier!!

I LOVE CINEMA SECRETS BRUSH CLEANER

http://store1.yimg.com/I/professionalsecrets_1836_113653 <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Home > More > Brush Cleaner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>http://store1.yimg.com/I/professionalsecrets_1837_2858766
trans_1x1.gif
http://store1.yimg.com/I/professionalsecrets_1837_2872092

Professional Brush Cleaner will clean, sanitize, deodorize and condition all make-up brushes. It kills viruses, bacteria and removes all traces of make-up, creams, waxes and powders. Environmentally safe and non-carcinogenic.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Originally Posted by Leadfoot I wash my concealer and eyeliner brushes daily. With the eyeliner brushes, I don't know how you couldn't wash them after every using? The product hardens on them.
Powder/Blush brushes I wash once a week.

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl I've noticed that I wash my brushes... a lot. I don't like my eye shadow colors to mix so sometimes I washing my eye shadow brushes daily. Anybody else wash their brushes this frequently? I figure MAs must wash their brushes pretty often. Washing them this often won't ruin the brushes will it? For my personal brushes, I wash them about once a week. But for those I use on other people, they get cleaned pretty much after every person. I just use regular shampoo though.
I've heard that Parian Spirit and Cinema Secrets are good though.

Originally Posted by Trisha we use this or Brush Off at work and i hate them! Even small eye brushes take agggges to dry! (yes im using it properly!) x that's so weird! i use brush off and it doesn't take long to dry at all. i don't even have to wait. could it be our brushes are made of different hairs?

Latest posts

Back