Watermark, logo or URL?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

internetchick

Beauty Blogger
Reaction score
I am beginning to think I should spend some time creating a logo for my blog to use as a watermark. Anyone create their own? I am thinking it might be less intrusive than a URL. I don't want to go watermarkless due to stolen photos (though to be honest a watermark hasn't stopped people from stealing my images).

What do you prefer and why?

I honestly think nothing will stop a person from stealing images if they want them, they will take them regardless of whats on them.  At least if you have them watermarked you will get publicity from their pages lol

Yeah I agree with Bonnie. I don't even bother marking my photos, it takes up time and really doesn't accomplish much (in my opinion). Oh, one thing I hate though, is when bloggers OVER watermark their pictures. I hate peering through 5 layers of "omgz this is property of bestbeautyblogeverintheworld.com" to see a swatch lol.

I was more interested in if a logo or URL was better, not so much to watermark or not to watermark. Not that I am telling you all to not say anything lol.

Ooooh in that case LOL definitely logo :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> a text logo would be nice too.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was more interested in if a logo or URL was better, not so much to watermark or not to watermark. Not that I am telling you all to not say anything lol.

I started adding my URL to all my photos after I found someone upload my birchbox as their own personal pin on pinterest. I dont really understand pinterest, but I want credit for spending time getting the right lighting, setting up everything perfectly, editing the photo, etc. Plus, I have found that it has greatly increased my traffic! 

If/when I get around to it, I plan on making a logo for my blog. But that won't happen until at least summer when I can get my computer up and running. Right now it is storage since I have my work laptop to muck around with online.

Originally Posted by snllama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I started adding my URL to all my photos after I found someone upload my birchbox as their own personal pin on pinterest. I dont really understand pinterest, but I want credit for spending time getting the right lighting, setting up everything perfectly, editing the photo, etc. Plus, I have found that it has greatly increased my traffic! 

I don't fully understand Pinterest, though I do recall reading somewhere in their TOS that once you Pin something to their site they are free to do with it what they want. I need to read their TOS for myself, but if true I prefer not to use a site that wants to lay claim to my content.

The best way I have been able to describe pinterest is like a giant pinboard you may have had growing up, where you put up pictures out of magazines or maybe ones that you took.

Here is the TOS for Member Content

Quote: Member Content We may, in our sole discretion, permit Members to post, upload, publish, submit or transmit Member Content. By making available any Member Content through the Site, Application or Services, you hereby grant to Cold Brew Labs a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free license, with the right to sublicense, to use, copy, adapt, modify, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, stream, broadcast, access, view, and otherwise exploit such Member Content only on, through or by means of the Site, Application or Services. Cold Brew Labs does not claim any ownership rights in any such Member Content and nothing in these Terms will be deemed to restrict any rights that you may have to use and exploit any such Member Content.   You acknowledge and agree that you are solely responsible for all Member Content that you make available through the Site, Application and Services. Accordingly, you represent and warrant that: (i) you either are the sole and exclusive owner of all Member Content that you make available through the Site, Application and Services or you have all rights, licenses, consents and releases that are necessary to grant to Cold Brew Labs the rights in such Member Content, as contemplated under these Terms; and (ii) neither the Member Content nor your posting, uploading, publication, submission or transmittal of the Member Content or Cold Brew Labs’ use of the Member Content (or any portion thereof) on, through or by means of the Site, Application and the Services will infringe, misappropriate or violate a third party’s patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights or other proprietary or intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy, or result in the violation of any applicable law or regulation.

So basically by uploading your photos, you are allowing them to use it as well, royalty free but they will not claim ownership.

Yeah I didn't have a pinterest account at the time. Birchbox pulled my photo from my twitter account and posted it on their pin board. Then another person repinned from there. So it's like I lost rights to my own photo without my knowledge!

So this month with my URL the same thing happened and I have gotten some actually really good traffic from birchbox repinning. I'm okay with that ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have decided to go watermarkless for a clean look. I am going to do what I can to prevent theft, and try not to get high blood pressure from any theft that might happen lol.

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So basically by uploading your photos, you are allowing them to use it as well, royalty free but they will not claim ownership.

But they also can alter it, sell it, etc. and you get nothing.

Latest posts

Back