Waterproof Makeup Suggestions?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm going to Hawaii this summer (first real vacation in... soo many years lol) and realized that my daily look is definitely not water-friendly. Do you guys have any product suggestions/tips for waterproof makeup, or finishing sprays for regular makeup? I have more of a problem with makeup staying on the whole day, than smudging or anything.

Do you guys have any recommendations for waterproof gel liners, or should I stick to liquids? By waterproof, I mean able to stay put even if you go swimming. My go-to liner is the tarte "emphaseyes" clay liner--I love it, but since I have dry skin I found that it tends to dry up and crumble after contact with water (plus, if I rub my eyes in general, it all crumbles off).

Should I even bother wearing eyeshadows, or should I just wear some colored pencil-liner above my normal eyeliner or something? Any great waterproof shadow brands? If I find a good fixing spray, will it literally make it waterproof?

Hey! I've been in your situation, many times! In all honesty, i don't trust the finishing sprays. The ones i've seen &/or heard of, just set your makeup, really. I don't think they help with making it waterproof. If i were you, i would just go with waterproof eyeliner, & if you wear mascara, go with a waterproof one, as well. I used waterproof foundation once, & after swimming & such, i still got that streaky look. So, i just get waterproof eyeliners, mainly liquid, & a waterproof mascara. 

Hope this helped!  :]

For terms of liner that seriously stays put, Laura Mercier's Tightline mixed with the Tightline Activator.  It isn't a candidate for waterline use, but for tightlining and lining your upper lid it's really nice.  I know it's a cake liner instead of a gel, but I haven't found a gel that holds up to this.

I find that gel liners stay put better. YSL has one that stays on really well. I have it and love it. Also they have a waterproof pencil but I haven't tried it. I love Dior waterproof mascara. It really stays on until I take it off.

I just started using Stila's smudgesticks, and I'm a big fan. I went wakeboarding last weekend and face-planted in the water a few times and (miraculously), no raccoon eyes! Not saying that you don't still have to be careful about rubbing your eyes, but this is the best I've found so far for staying put through real water contact!

Thanks for the recommendations in this thread - I plan to do more swimming this summer than I have in the past few years, and I need to stock up on some waterproof makeup! I definitely don't want the "raccoon eyes" look!

I use Bare Escentuals Weather Everything. First I line my eyes with whatever pencil I am using. Then I place a drop of WE onto a pointed brush on go over the liner with the brush. This stuff really sets your eyeliner and I have to use eye makeup remover to remove my liner at night. Cleanser and water will not remove it alone. I have not tried this technique on the waterline just regular lining and tight lining.

I use Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner. Bobbi Brown's gel eyeliner is my favorite. It only comes off when you want it to. It is really waterproof but comes off with only soap and water. Plus, it comes in tons of colors.

Thanks for all the suggestions! lol I definitely need a new liner now anyway--mine was getting dry so I added a drop of mineral oil, and now it just wipes right off.

Should I not bother with eyeshadow on days I know I'll probably go to the beach/pool?

I have very oily skin so I'm always looking for mu that will cling to me.

I've found that both the Kat Von D tattoo liner and the Stila All day liner refuse to budge (with kvd I was stuck in a rainstorm and it was still in place). Both are very easy to apply.

For ES you could try Sephora's fat pencil type ones- those have pretty impressive staying power. I really like the khaki (sp?), gold, green and turquoise in that line. These work as a liner too.

You need to try Wet N Wild H2o liquid liner, that stuff never moves , I have used it on people that sweat like crazy and it wears all day.

Eye Studio Master Drama Eyeliner or Eye Studio Master Drama Gel Liner by Maybelline - LASTS and LASTS all day.

and Covergirl Lashblast 24 Hour Mascara. 

If you want some eyeshadow that lasts just as long, or goes even longer, L'Oreal Paris Infallible 24 Hour Eyeshadow. Great colors, long wear.

Good luck, have fun!!

For a pricier option, Makeup Forever has waterproof eye makeup, and their face&body foundation is waterproof as well.

I use Mally Beauty eyeliners, and they last through a day of work and a 2 hour dance class without budging.

For eyeshadows I use either L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadows which are really vibrant and gorgeous and wont budge... or for something more natural, The Jane Iredale eye gloss is great! For liners I either use Makeup Forever's Aqua Eyes pencils or Bobbi Brown's longwear eyeliner gel. For foundation that will not budge I would go for Estee Lauder's Double Wear, it's a full coverage foundation that also has an spf formula.

All of these offer a wide range of colors and look beautiful on. Living in Miami, I work on a lot of swimwear shoots and these products have all been saviors for me!

Oh also for lips and cheeks go for a stain like Benefit's 'benetint'. 

Have fun! Hope this helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I highly highly highly suggest Liquid Last by MAC. That stuff stay put till the next day! It'll stay on for sure

Latest posts

Back