waxing advice

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i would like to try waxing the usual female areas but i am nervous, as i have never waxed before. any advice! i thought i read something somewhere that putting baby powder on your skin before the wax would help things not be so painful. i am particularly concerned about waxing my most private of areas especially after reading a story off another post here. it was how someone had tried waxing this area and ended up waxing everything closed! OMG! please no!
icon_eek.gif

I personally would not try this at home!!!Maybe you could use something with lidocaine in it to help with the pain.Ive never been waxed down there,but i hear it does hurt,but i guess it depends on your pain tolurence.Hopefully other girls who got waxed down there,will jump in on this post with more help and tips,goodluck
smile.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif

well, i was going to try it at home. but i am a bit nervous. i would think that it would be important to get a pretty thin layer of wax. probably grips hair better than a thick layer. might be best if i try my legs first. not quite so delicate of spot. but the idea of going in and having someone groom me down there, well... i'm a shaver now but have been looking for something better. i tried veet hair remover. it's okay but it made my skin react.

oh,i know what you mean,im not too keen on someone hanging out down there,lol maybe you should try a sugar wax,this method only attaches to the hair and not the skin so you dont have to worry about taking skin off,also its good fro sensitive skin cause its a natural method.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by nydoll23 oh,i know what you mean,im not too keen on someone hanging out down there,lol maybe you should try a sugar wax,this method only attaches to the hair and not the skin so you dont have to worry about taking skin off,also its good fro sensitive skin cause its a natural method.
smile.gif
sugar wax. is that like the nads kit? i'll check out the reviews. thanks!

Originally Posted by karrie ann well, i was going to try it at home. but i am a bit nervous. i would think that it would be important to get a pretty thin layer of wax. probably grips hair better than a thick layer. might be best if i try my legs first. not quite so delicate of spot. but the idea of going in and having someone groom me down there, well... i'm a shaver now but have been looking for something better. i tried veet hair remover. it's okay but it made my skin react. Hmm... well if you've never waxed yourself before it is probably best to try a less sensitive area first. I just to to a salon because I could never wax my own legs or bikini area all by myself. Well maybe my legs and probably pits too, but I certainly couldn't do my own bikini area. Do you have a close friend, cousin, sister, etc that could help?

Since you have never waxed at all before, I think you should go to someone to get it done. You might tear some skin if you try it yourself. Make sure you find someone who's reputable and knows what they are doing, especially when it comes to down there. Know ahead of time what shape you want it in and about 30 min before you have it done, take some kind of pain reliever-it will help a little, but I ain't gonna lie...the s**t hurts!!! But if you keep up with it, you'll get used to it eventually. I usually go to someone to get waxed, but lately I've been so busy that I have to do it at home. Many years ago, I tried to wax myself and after several attempts I just gave up. I couldn't do something that I knew would hurt so much. It's so much easier for someone else to hurt me
confused.gif
But now, I've been getting waxed for so long that it's a lot easier for me to do at home. Since you're a first time waxer, I really wouldn't recommend you doing it yourself.

Originally Posted by envymi Since you have never waxed at all before, I think you should go to someone to get it done. You might tear some skin if you try it yourself. Make sure you find someone who's reputable and knows what they are doing, especially when it comes to down there. Know ahead of time what shape you want it in and about 30 min before you have it done, take some kind of pain reliever-it will help a little, but I ain't gonna lie...the s**t hurts!!! But if you keep up with it, you'll get used to it eventually. I usually go to someone to get waxed, but lately I've been so busy that I have to do it at home. Many years ago, I tried to wax myself and after several attempts I just gave up. I couldn't do something that I knew would hurt so much. It's so much easier for someone else to hurt me
confused.gif
But now, I've been getting waxed for so long that it's a lot easier for me to do at home. Since you're a first time waxer, I really wouldn't recommend you doing it yourself. Yeah, good advice! I concur. The first time I had anything waxed was BRUTAL! It isn't so bad anymore. I prefer to have the salon do it too. It may cost a bit more, but it is so much easier to let someone else do all the work.

Originally Posted by envymi Since you have never waxed at all before, I think you should go to someone to get it done. You might tear some skin if you try it yourself. Make sure you find someone who's reputable and knows what they are doing, especially when it comes to down there. Know ahead of time what shape you want it in and about 30 min before you have it done, take some kind of pain reliever-it will help a little, but I ain't gonna lie...the s**t hurts!!! But if you keep up with it, you'll get used to it eventually. I usually go to someone to get waxed, but lately I've been so busy that I have to do it at home. Many years ago, I tried to wax myself and after several attempts I just gave up. I couldn't do something that I knew would hurt so much. It's so much easier for someone else to hurt me
confused.gif
But now, I've been getting waxed for so long that it's a lot easier for me to do at home. Since you're a first time waxer, I really wouldn't recommend you doing it yourself. yeah, you are right. this sentence really says it all! "I couldn't do something that I knew would hurt so much."
eek.gif

maybe someone knows a skilled technician in the portland oregon area...

I have been waxing for about 10 years now and doing it myself. I use a product called Moom - a cold sugar type wax that is water soluble. Do not attempt waxing right before your period, the skin is especially fragile because of your hormones....my skin tore and it was extremely painful and took a long time to heal.

I wax my legs and bikini area (I opt to be completely hair free down there) about every 3-5 weeks. The regrowth is minimal now and so smooth, no razor stubble.

spa finder is a pretty good source for locating spas across the country. you should be able to find and esthetician in your area to perform your services. here's a link. http://www.spafinder.com/let us know how it works out for you.

Originally Posted by karrie ann yeah, you are right. this sentence really says it all! "I couldn't do something that I knew would hurt so much."
eek.gif

maybe someone knows a skilled technician in the portland oregon area...

Originally Posted by karrie ann i would like to try waxing the usual female areas but i am nervous, as i have never waxed before. any advice! i thought i read something somewhere that putting baby powder on your skin before the wax would help things not be so painful. i am particularly concerned about waxing my most private of areas especially after reading a story off another post here. it was how someone had tried waxing this area and ended up waxing everything closed! OMG! please no!
icon_eek.gif
I do brazilians at home. I use the GiGi at home brazilian kit, it comes with the gels and powders for before and after waxing. The kit is about $20 and is sold at beauty supply stores. This is the same brand wax that most salons use. I suggest taking a pain reliever about 20 minutes before the wax and stay relaxed. Do not wax in the week before or during your period, the pain will be more intense. Also do not drink caffeine as it can also make a wax more uncomfortable. I prefer to use a wax kit with strips, it is easier to grip. Sometimes it is easiest to have a pro wax and then maintain the shape they give you. Ity can also help for you to watch their technique. Hope that helped. :icon_love

Originally Posted by monniej spa finder is a pretty good source for locating spas across the country. you should be able to find and esthetician in your area to perform your services. here's a link. http://www.spafinder.com/let us know how it works out for you. great advise ladies. thank you! i think it sounds like the best thing to do is to have a pro handle this, at least the first time. skin ripping makes me cringe... i had a mishap with a razor once down there and that was bad enough!!!
icon_redface.gif

i'm going to check this link out for spafinder.

thanks again and i'll let you know how it all goes down!
icon_lol.gif

Latest posts

Back