Weight Loss Tips

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 12 year old daughter is about 5'4, and weighs 214 pounds. She tells me she wants to lose the weight but she always gives up. Do you have any tips that might help her??

Thank You!

Ashley

Originally Posted by BuTt3RfLyKiSz3s My 12 year old daughter is about 5'4, and weighs 214 pounds. She tells me she wants to lose the weight but she always gives up. Do you have any tips that might help her??
Thank You!

Ashley

I know it sounds dorky, but when I diet, I keep thinking of that saying "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" and run that through my head when I eat. I also think Dr. Phil's Weight Loss book is very helpful because it's very encouraging without being preachy. He has so many helpful tips in that book.

Originally Posted by BuTt3RfLyKiSz3s My 12 year old daughter is about 5'4, and weighs 214 pounds. She tells me she wants to lose the weight but she always gives up. Do you have any tips that might help her??
Thank You!

Ashley

At her age, I think proper nutrition should be the main concern. Make sure she's eating balanced meals, with lots of fruits and veggies. Drop any white flour and white sugar. Also, avoid fast food and processed foods and soda. Talk to her about healthy eating, and offer her healthy snacks like yogurt, trail mix, carrot sticks, etc. Let her have a small "treat" once a day..can't completely deprive yourself. If she's eating cafeteria food or junk food for lunch at school, make her bag-lunches together at home so she can be a part of changing her diet. Perhaps have her cut down on her carbs or eat them primarily in the morning, and have her try not to eat too late at night.
If she's not exercising, maybe have her start walking more, or just turn on some music and dance for 1/2 an hour a day. Make it fun!

I'm no expert, but I've been applying this to myself for the last month and have lost a pound a week. Which is not drastic, but healthy, and I'm not hungry and eat a lot. I've had several people come up to me and tell me they've noticed a change. I must add however, that I'm not overweight to start out with, so I don't personally know how that feels. I'm just trying to lose about 7 pounds to get back where I was before I had kids. It must be a very difficult time for your daughter. It's great that you're making an effort to help her. I wish your daughter good luck! Keep us posted.....

Have you talked with the doctor about this? He or she may have some suggestions. Make sure that the whole family is supporting her. If there are certain foods that she's not allowed to eat, then make sure that no one eats them in the house or around her. It just isn't fair if everyone else gets ice cream sundaes and she gets nothing. She might also get tempted if you keep the foods she's not allowed to eat in the house. A support group might be good for her. Having to check in with other people trying to loose weight can be great motivation.

I hope you can help her take better care of herself!!

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl Have you talked with the doctor about this? He or she may have some suggestions. Make sure that the whoele family is supporting her. If there are certain foods that she's not allowed to eat, then make sure that no one eats them in teh house or around her. It just isn't fair if everyone else gets ice cream sundaes and she gets nothing. She might also get tempted if you keep the foods she's not allowed to eat in the house. A support group might be good for her. Having to check in with other people trying to loose weight can be great motivation.
I hope you can help her take better care of herself!!

Yeahhhhh, Once when my husband tried a diet, I would eat cookies in front of him and he broke his diet. So now, if he has to diet, I diet with him too
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by bluebird26 Yeahhhhh, Once when my husband tried a diet, I would eat cookies in front of him and he broke his diet. So now, if he has to diet, I diet with him too
biggrin.gif
That's wonderful! My mother used to make everyone in the house go on a diet when she did, but she never found a good diet to help her lose weight. My sister and I were the only ones in the family to loose weight, and we're also the only vegetarians. Coincidence?

What about taking her to a nutritionist and teaching her what good eating habits are. She is young enough where she could learn new behavior in eating and also know that the key is moderation. Its not about taking all the junk food away or not eating carbs. But knowing what works for your body.

What about exercise? Doing aerobic or running might now interest her but how about making fitness fun? For example, going on family picnics and playing some bball or swimming.

If you truly are serious about helping her, you and the rest of your family need to be open to eating changes too. Let us know how it goes.

A good, painless and healthy way to loose some weight is to have some soup before your main course. By this I mean, soups like vegetable, manhattan clam chowder, tomato, chicken noodle, etc. Stay away from cream type soups or only have them now & then. The soup will fill you up and you will eat less. It is also a good way to get some veggies in your diet. There is a veggie soup called "diet soup" that is very tasty and healthy and you can have as much of it as often as you like and you will shed quite a few pounds. Basically it is chicken broth, to which you would add chopped veggies (onion,carrots,spinach,green & red pepper, zucchini, chopped tomato ,celery, a potato) Spice it up with dried basil, oregano, salt, pepper and a dash of cayenne pepper, dried celery leaves. Before you eat this, add some noodles or brown rice or small type of pasta.Sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese on top and enjoy.

This soup is actually quite good and is enjoyed by those even not dieting.

If you add some brisk walking several times a week, you got it made. Leslie Sansone has "Walk Away the Pounds" videos/dvd's and they are very good to use indoors...and you will break out a sweat.

Petite Syrah

Latest posts

Back