Weighty issues with myself

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi friends at mut. I have a problem. I have so little confidence in myself for a while now and it is always about my weight. I need to lose 10 pds but it is so hard. I am 5'0 and I weight 115. I am in a normal range but I wanna be in the lower range. I dont have time to exercise. I work 24 a week at a lab and I am carrying 16 credits in heavy hardcore sciences. I barely have time to think but I am always eating because I am nervous and I wanna be as pretty as the women on tv. Can anyone offer me any suggestions on how I can lose this weight with no to minimal exercise and without starving or do anything bad. I really wanna lose this weight. I am mean to my boyfriend. I wont even let him touch my tummy. Ive tried patches, grapefruit diet, atkins diet, low cal diet and nothing seems to work. All those skinny girls out there what do you do to keep thin and keep on track

thank you to all my girls who read this

...and my calendar hung itself waiting for me

Honestly, THE only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you eat. So you will need to either cut back on calories or start exercising, or preferably both just because exercise is healthy! (And some exercises can help firm up your tummy muscles!) If you say you are "always" eating, then a good start would be to buy less snack food or buy healthy stuff (fruits, veggies, etc) -- if you don't have junk food laying around the house, you won't be tempted to eat it! Or at least, I can't resist the lure of junk food when I'm studying, especially late at night which is probably the worst time to eat lots calories!
wink.gif
But essentially, you just have to find a diet and exercise plan that works for you -- start by doing a few quick and easy exercises that you might enjoy, and possibly can do at home rather than taking time to go to the gym (crunches, weights, jump rope, walking or running, etc.). Also work on cutting calories, either by eliminating certain foods or at least by limiting portion sizes. Remember you have to splurge a little -- if you love chocolate, then go ahead and let yourself have a mini candy bar or two, and just cut back on something you may not like as much, say fried foods or soda.

Anyways, these are just things I've read, I have a naturally high metabolism and wish I could gain weight and can't! But my mom has lost a lot of weight (and maintained the loss) over the years by making simple changes like that -- reducing portions, substituting foods (e.g. 2% milk cheese instead of regular, light and fat-free versions of foods -- you would be amazed at how many calories you can eat through condiments alone!), and slowly adding more exercise into her routine. Also, since you're at college, be careful about eating cafeteria food! The food at my undergraduate college must have been incredibly fatty; my roommate (who was already pretty slender start with, about 120 or 130 lbs and 5'2") lost 15 lbs right after graduation without even trying, just from cooking her own meals instead of eating school food! (And her asthma attacks dramatically decreased after graduation, because the greasy cafeteria food always gave her congestion!)

But I understand your frustrations about college, the last two years of my undergraduate schooling and now in grad school, I have very little free time and it is very hard to eat healthy and exercise! Even though I don't need to lose weight, I do want to eat healthy just to get all my vitamins and nutrients, and calcium to prevent osteoporosis! It is a little easier now that I'm living in an apartment rather than a dorm though! (Plus, hubby cooks for me often when I don't have time!
biggrin.gif
)

However your comment about wanting be "as pretty as the women on tv" is a little worrisome to me.... Such women are definitely not the norm, and they have tons of professionals working on their hair, makeup, diet, and fitness routine, along with plastic surgery and breast implants and who knows what else... I saw something on TV the other day that talked about how much work it is for most actresses to stay thin, most of them have to diet and exercise a lot to keep their figure! They're not just "magically" pretty -- they have to work at it!
smile.gif
It's most important that you learn to love yourself regardless of your body (and I know that is hard!) because if you are unhappy with your weight now, are you sure you will be so much happier if you lose 10 lbs? Or will you just want to lose more, or find something else about your appearance that you don't like? I'm all for making the best of the body that you have and emphasizing your best features, but be careful if you feel the need to change a lot of things!

Anyways, that was much longer than I planned, but hopefully something will help!

Hey thank you for your amazing and inspirational response. I know the women spend lots of money that I dont have. But more than anything I would want to lose 10 pounds. I normall take in 1500 calories and stay at 115 pounds. I dont know how many I burn in comparison to what I take in. they say if you decrease your intake by 500 cal a day you can lose a pound a week. But i tried that and it didnt work. How much should i take in? A friend of mine is 103 pounds and eats only 800 calories a day. How can anyone do that? plus she dosent exercise. I just hate exercising. I really do. It dosent make me feel good at all.

But seriously thank you for you help

Hi friends at mut. I have a problem. I have so little confidence in myself for a while now and it is always about my weight. I need to lose 10 pds but it is so hard. I am 5'0 and I weight 115. I am in a normal range but I wanna be in the lower range. I dont have time to exercise. I work 24 a week at a lab and I am carrying 16 credits in heavy hardcore sciences. I barely have time to think but I am always eating because I am nervous and I wanna be as pretty as the women on tv. Can anyone offer me any suggestions on how I can lose this weight with no to minimal exercise and without starving or do anything bad. I really wanna lose this weight. I am mean to my boyfriend. I wont even let him touch my tummy. Ive tried patches, grapefruit diet, atkins diet, low cal diet and nothing seems to work. All those skinny girls out there what do you do to keep thin and keep on track. I need something easy, fairly quick like 1-2 months

Most "diets" don't work longterm, you may loose weight but in the end you will gain it back if not more. The only way to loose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. You say you are very busy so I take it as you are active. I would start cutting out processed foods, limit fast food, candy/snacks full of sugar and salt. Eat more vegetables and fruit, and drink plenty of water. Most times hunger is mistaken for thirst if you think you are hungry, drink a glass of water and if you are still hungry after that then eat. Before making a change I would monitor what I one day and see how much of that food is processed foods full of sugar and sodium. If you make these changes in your lifestyle you should start to see results.

I have no idea exactly how many calories you should eat, it just varies from person to person how much you need to eat to lose weight but still be healthy! Everyone has a different metabolism!

Originally Posted by xotinkerbellglo Hey thank you for your amazing and inspirational response. I know the women spend lots of money that I dont have. But more than anything I would want to lose 10 pounds. I normall take in 1500 calories and stay at 115 pounds. I dont know how many I burn in comparison to what I take in. they say if you decrease your intake by 500 cal a day you can lose a pound a week. But i tried that and it didnt work. How much should i take in? A friend of mine is 103 pounds and eats only 800 calories a day. How can anyone do that? plus she dosent exercise. I just hate exercising. I really do. It dosent make me feel good at all. But seriously thank you for you help

Well, cutting your caloric intake will only do so much; exercise is what will push you to lose weight. It doesn't necessarily have to be in a gym, but just what you do to be active, like walking, biking, hiking, etc. Finding something you like is key; doing something you hate will only make you give it up.

Originally Posted by xotinkerbellglo How much sugar is too much? Thank you soo much for your help and encouragement. I will try this I personally dont know how much sugar is to much, but when possible always go for natural sugars such as fruit as opposed to refined sugars such as candy bars. Just use some common sense if you are having cereal in the morning dont add heaps of sugar in your cornflakes. If you want some candy, cookies or snack food like that eat in moderation. If necessary count out the serving size and put the bag away somewhere so you won't eat more. HTH!

*note* i have merged the other thread from the advice forum with this this thread.

HI there! You might want to talk to a doctor or nutritionist or other health care professional. Since you aren't looking to really loose a whole lot of weight it sounds like you might just need to eat healthier. I know it can be hard, especially if you have the stress of school and work, but make sure you are taking care of yourself mentally and physically. Losing weight if you're not obese is NOT the only way to gain confidence. Take care of yourself and don't let ten measly pounds add to your stress level!

Originally Posted by xotinkerbellglo Hi friends at mut. I have a problem. I have so little confidence in myself for a while now and it is always about my weight. I need to lose 10 pds but it is so hard. I am 5'0 and I weight 115. I am in a normal range but I wanna be in the lower range. I dont have time to exercise. I work 24 a week at a lab and I am carrying 16 credits in heavy hardcore sciences. I barely have time to think but I am always eating because I am nervous and I wanna be as pretty as the women on tv. Can anyone offer me any suggestions on how I can lose this weight with no to minimal exercise and without starving or do anything bad. I really wanna lose this weight. I am mean to my boyfriend. I wont even let him touch my tummy. Ive tried patches, grapefruit diet, atkins diet, low cal diet and nothing seems to work. All those skinny girls out there what do you do to keep thin and keep on track

i see my roomate in the same position as you are
frown.gif
she is pre-med and at the same time does research every other day.
my suggestion is to start doing yoga during your study breaks. around 10-15 min yoga can make a differance if done right! sometimes you can even do jump rope during study breaks as well, that's what my roomate does, and eat every 3 hours, like a peice of fruit.

and of course, do everything you can excercise related DURING study breaks. i know it's hard, but my roomate has been doing it for a couple of months now and she looks great!

goodluck!

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl HI there! You might want to talk to a doctor or nutritionist or other health care professional. Since you aren't looking to really loose a whole lot of weight it sounds like you might just need to eat healthier. I know it can be hard, especially if you have the stress of school and work, but make sure you are taking care of yourself mentally and physically. Losing weight if you're not obese is NOT the only way to gain confidence. Take care of yourself and don't let ten measly pounds add to your stress level! I second this!
I never do diet in my life. I'm 5'0, my weight doesn't even close to 100 pounds. Maybe I weight around 92 pounds lol. But I'm small so maybe I'm underweight, but I don't look that skinny though.

I found myself is difficult to gain weight. But I think, maybe my dislikes of Junk food and sweet foods make my body difficult to gain weight. I don't even drink tea with sugar. I don't drink coffee though, but I do drink tea everyday, green tea, apple tea, mango tea, lavender tea, you mention it, I drink all kinds of tea but with NO SUGAR. The only sweet stuff I eat and drink often maybe Fresh fruits and 100% Orange Juice. I rarely do exercise except 4 hours walking for SHOPPING and HOUSE CHORES.

I cook my own meal, and I don't eat beef that much, but I do love having fish and veggie in my meals at least twice a week. For breakfast, I drink only Orange Juices and eat onigiri (Japanese Food) or bread in the morning. Lunch time I often have pasta or fried rice with veggie and seafood on it.

So just relax, you just need to eat healthy and balance your meals everyday. I can only suggest you to stay away from Junk Food and cook your own meal when you have time.

Quick ideas:

- Split your daily calories into 5 or 6 meals instead of just 3, never eat less than 1200 calories per day.

- Make breakfast your largest meal, supper your smallest, don't eat within 3 hours of bedtime. Not eating after 6pm is silly if you go to bed at midnight.

- Give yourself lots of time to lose this weight, without exercise and because you are already in your range, it will take longer (aim for January).

- Stay away from refined foods like pasta and bread, they turn to sugar.

- Remember than liquid calories still count, fat free doesn't mean calorie free when you get a latte at Starbucks.

- Eat yogourt at least once per day, the active cultures help with digestion and will make your tummy look flatter... this helps mentally.

- Eat 1 fun meal a week at your fav restaurant, deprivation will derail you!

- Drink water and take a multi vitamin.

- Weigh yourself once a month, you're not going to see much change weekly with so little to lose.

Being the best you can be includes accepting that you don't have time to excercise at this stage in your life. If it helps any I am in sort of the same situation. I am at the middle of my weight range but want to be at the bottom, I had 7 pounds to go when my doctor told me to stop exercising. I have to count every calorie and most days I feel like the weight will never come off. I have set a long term goal to get the weight off by December 1st and let me tell you, it seems like a 100 years away!

Let us know what you decide to do and how it's coming along.

Thank you ladies for all your help. January is so far and it depresses me to see my figure for that much longer. I am trying to eat basically unprocessed foods. You know who I really admire and this is a compliment are asian women. They have a beautiful culture and simplistic diet. Lots of fruits, raw fish, brown rice and steamed veggies. I watch other asian women and they will have a bowl, massive in size filled with fruit and are so slender. I know i basically have to try to cut out processed things. Yesterday I had a small salad with salsa, small cup of pasta with red sauce ( bad choice), pudding, apple and lean cuisine and damn it 2 small pieces of chocolate. Its hard I dont get in from class till 9 and the dining hall is closed so I am forced to have a processed and high sodium dinner. IN which I dont get it till 9 so I am eating after 6. I dont go to sleep till 2am so I am hungry at like 8pm still when i am done class. All the dining hall has is fried fried fried foods. I live off of salads...i need options. I took some fruit but it makes me so bloaty. I mean my stomach actually sticks out ok lol. OK maybe this post is too long. I pour my life you to you women! Thank you ladies!

Hm, I'm not sure if I have a lot of ideas for dorm-room food, it's hard when you don't have a real kitchen! If you have a freezer and microwave you can always eat lots of Healthy Choice and other frozen dinners (I personally think Healthy Choice has the most flavorful options with the largest portions compared to other healthy dinners!). And of course healthy snacks, fruits, raw veggies, you can throw in a yogurt dip or low-cal veggie dip or salsa for some variety... I would get sick of salads every day but I'm not sure what else is easy to eat in a dorm room... maybe some healthy cereal like Special K and skim milk? Low-fat string cheese if you need more calcium? I also like low-fat granola bars as snacks but if you're doing the low-carb thing that may not work. If you want more protein, sometimes beef jerky has a surprisingly small amount of fat! (Just avoid the processed meat sticks like Slim Jims, those are fatty!) You could also keep sandwich ingredients in a dorm room fridge -- some whole grain bread (which is good for everyone!) and whatever healthy fillings you like, low-fat meats and cheese, mustard (mayo is fatty!), you already have lettuce from your salads you can use... If you have the time and money, you can occasionally get a healthy fast food meal like at Subway for variety!

As for exercise, remember you can work in small amounts during the day, like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walk or bike to campus rather than riding the bus (if you're at a big school like me!), walk faster than normal, etc. My old dorm room was on the 6th floor and sometimes I would take the stairs, and when you're out of shape like me, that's quite a workout! lol (Just make sure you're not wearing uncomfortable heels! lol)

I don't know what body type you are, but sometimes that plays a major role in your weight. How long have you weighed 115? Because maybe your body is comfortable at that weight. For instance, when I was pregnant I gained 60lbs. I'm 5'5" and before pregnancy always stayed at 120lbs. after having my baby I went on a strict diet: protein bar for breakfast and lunch and meat and veggies for dinner and lost the weight and then some down to 110, but when I started eating regularly AND exercising I still went to 120lbs. So maybe you are suppose to weigh 115, but I would really start doing some type of exercise to build lean muscle because you will speed up your metabolism and maybe that would help.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I personally think that you need to improve your low confidence first BEFORE you lose weight. Learn to LOVE yourself, then people will love you. It begins with confidence. Start to believe in yourself and stop comparing yourself to other people, that only makes you feel even lower. Good luck on losing your weight, as i said..you need to gain more confidence first. Drink plenty of water. Eat 3 meals a day, do NOT snack inbetween. Cut down on sugary foods, and try and walk about 3 times a week for 10 minutes or so each time, then increase your walking time til you feel comfortable. You know you can do iT!
biggrin.gif

`Honey, you need to take a deep breath. 5'0" and 115 pounds is NOT FAT. Now I undewrstand you wan't to be a little smaller. I'm in the same boat as you, I need to lose about five pounds.

What concerns me about your post is how stressed you seem to be about it, and that's dangerous, because you seem to be obsessing a bit and that takes away from your happiness.

Please don't go on any crash diets, or try to hate your way into starving yourself. You'll make yourself miserable. What you really need to do is just stop obsessing about food, diets, and how you wish you looked and do something else. Go walking, go hiking, go to the art museum (they don't sell food there, right?) Go anyplace you can keep yourself moving and engage your mind, get your mind off of your weight obsession. You don't have to torture yourself. It's not so hard to cut down, to say "no cheese on that. please", "sugar-free iced-tea, please?", and so on. The problem is the stress you're causing yourself. Over time, you WILL lose the weight. Just be easy on yourself. Keep busy, keep your mind off of food.

Whenever I obsess about dieting, I break my diet and I'm always a mess. When I focus on life and just choose healthy foods, I lose the weight. Sometimes it's hard to see when you're in diet-obsession land.

Take care. I'm going to take my own advice and go for a walk now.

Thank you for your reply. I really always do drink sugar free items, avoid cheese, frying, red meats, etc. I think my problem is my snaking. I take in 1500 calories. This week I have cut down to 1100-1050 consistently. I am hoping in a few weeks I will see a difference. I dont have time to exerise in college. I have an etremely heavy load. I joined a hip hop aerobic class that meets once a week. Its not much exercise but maybe it will make me happier because I miss dancing. But there are going to be so many girls with nice bodies. I was so happy when I was 107. I also eat late. But i have class literally from 10am to 8pm two of my 5 days a week, which forces me to eat late and the dining hall is closed and I end up getting nasty take out or eating a sodium filled microwave dinner. I try to eat lots of fruits and veggies but our dining halls fruits are at the bottom of the barrel. I have to eat at this dining hall because we are forced to have a meal plan and my plan which is the cheapest cost me $840. Anyway, I have also made good choices I really think I need to cut out processed foods. I am trying but my options are limited. I am just hoping with cutting back on my calories that I will see some weight loss in a few weeks to encourage me to keep going. Thank for all your help

Latest posts

Back