Welcome to the FOTD (Face of the Day) Forum! Tips for taking clear pics inside!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I feel like such an idiot! I've ben struggling with blurry closeup pics for so long! I never even knew there was a closeup option. I just went and changed it in my camera. I should have better luck now in the future! And I wil try the tissue trick! I'm grateful for this thread! Thanks!

Originally Posted by **Jen** Trisha,
While we are on the subject, how do you get your Avatar's so clear? What setting do you put your camera on? I can't get my avatar clear? I'm not sure how to resize the picture to the correct pixels (or whatever we are supposed to do) so that the picture comes out clear on the avatar.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Jen

For your avatar use the lowest quality setting so you don't have to resize or crop. Resizing and cropping from a 3mp pic is what makes your pics blurry.

I just got a Casio Exilim Z-750 and I LOVE IT! It is a 7.2 megapixel camera, but it is soooooo tiny!!

Also it has a great Macro function, you can trim and resize your pics IN the camera, AND you can set the intensity of the flash!! When I take eyemakeup pics I set the flash intensity to -2 and it comes out great! I put an example below...

Also, I have noticed that the bathroom is NOT the best place to take pics of makeup... It seems to wash out the colors badly... I put an example of that as well...

Great thread! I can replicate the looks here for any occasion that I need to attend. tnx guys!

Sorry to bump up such an old thread, but I wanted to add that there is a feature on MOST more modern cameras that has a "pic" or graphic of a flower. That function is for taking extreme close-up without the camera focusing on the details in the background. If you cover your flash and choose the "flower" shot, then you should be able to get really close close-up pics (of just your eye or something) and still have it come out clear. HTH.

Here is my face of the day
icon_redface.gif
...taken by my boyfriend!

https://forum.makeuptalk.com/att...1&d=1138924762

I know that I am bumping an older thread, and I apologize, but I do have a trick for people wanting to resize photos for avatars. Instead of doing the resizing in one step, try doing it by, say, sizing the photo to 80% of its original size, then sharpening, then 80% of THAT size, then sharpening, etc. This helps reduce blurriness.

Also, if you use Paintshop Pro or a comparable program, it's usually best to set the resizing option to resample using "Smart Size", "Bilinear" or "Bicubic". Setting it to Pixel Resize can end up in some really choppy-looking photos.

I hope this helps someone!

How do you take pictures of yourself while applying makeup for tutorials? LOL I am planning on picking up a digital camera this weekend. I really don't want to buy a tripod, but I can't figure out how to take good pictures if I have no one around to take them for me.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Charmiane! Those tips are very helpful...thanks.

I have a question though., should the camera be pointed towards the subject at eye level?

I tried Liz's tip with the mirror but this is what i got. I will try not using the flash.

Originally Posted by MACGoddess I just got a Casio Exilim Z-750 and I LOVE IT! It is a 7.2 megapixel camera, but it is soooooo tiny!!Also it has a great Macro function, you can trim and resize your pics IN the camera, AND you can set the intensity of the flash!! When I take eyemakeup pics I set the flash intensity to -2 and it comes out great! I put an example below...

Also, I have noticed that the bathroom is NOT the best place to take pics of makeup... It seems to wash out the colors badly... I put an example of that as well...

Wow! Your mu application has improved so much!! It just goes to show how much practice makes perfect. And look at ya now.....you work for MAC!!

I'm still learning, even after nearly 9 months, but here goes!

I have a Konica Minolta Dimage Z10 only 3.2 mp.

* type of light - bathroom, probably not the best place since the walls are peach, but I thought that if I changed the bulbs to natural light it would help. It has helped a bit, but natural light or flourescent light is best for taking mu pics (IMHO).

* time of day - various.

* setting on camera - auto (i need to play with it some. i wonder if i have a setting for flash intensity. i have had my cam for over a year and I'm still learning)

* self taken/tripod - both

* covered flash? - sometimes

i just dicovered the easiest way to cover the flash on a camera so it doesnt bleach out your makeup colors....scotch tape!...i just took a few pics and it worked perfectly
w00t.gif
w00t.gif
w00t.gif

Originally Posted by simplykrazy07 i just dicovered the easiest way to cover the flash on a camera so it doesnt bleach out your makeup colors....scotch tape!...i just took a few pics and it worked perfectly
w00t.gif
w00t.gif
w00t.gif
OMG, thank you! I don't have any Scotch tape in the house (which shocked me), but I put some clear shipping tape, along with a tiny square of 1-ply bath tissue. It worked perfectly!

great tips. i've always been wondering how you guys get your pictures to come out so clean. i'll try it and see if it works for me. thanks again

i was just thinking, isn't there anything i can do to prevent my photos lookin so washed out and all along Leila had it sussed. just set the flash to -2 and the photos look so much better. Very useful thread

i've been trying to figure out how to take clear pics, then somoene mentioned the flower figure on some cameras(which i have) and it worked!!!! or i put it on manual so now i can post on the FOTD forum! yay

Originally Posted by alittlebit i've been trying to figure out how to take clear pics, then somoene mentioned the flower figure on some cameras(which i have) and it worked!!!! or i put it on manual so now i can post on the FOTD forum! yay YAY! Can't wait to see your FOTD.

Latest posts

Back