wet application and sunscreen

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just had a thought as I'm falling in love with buffing a wet app of minerals on for that dewy finish.  I've done both a damp sponge and damp flat brush.  BUt do any of you think that can take off your sunscreen protection that you just applied before the makeup??  the guy from my sunscreen (zinc oxide only baby) said that if you use a damp brush and buff too much, it can take it off.  Anyone have opinions or how to know how much buffing is too much?? I like to blend blend blend to make everything smooth, but not I'm not sure I should do that. 

mamaherrera i imagine it wouldn't take off the sunscreen but if you put on to much it would probably be harder for the sunscreen to work.So i would probably use just a little bit of the makeup just to be on the safe side.

I don't think it would necessarily take it all off, but no matter what they say about sunscreens being waterproof, they're not. One thing you can try is applying your sunscreen first, then your face moisturizer. Dr Schulz (dermtv) actually explained that with chemical sunscreens, they were more effective if applied first because they need to sink in.

Actually I use a physical sunscreen, all zinc oxide and i would put it on before my moisturizer, but sinc e it has oil, it will seal in moisture and then if I want to put a moisturizer afterwards, my skin won't be able to absorb all the good stuff in my moisturizer.  But I do wonder how much comes off even with dry applications because of all the buffing and movement going on with the face.  But yeah, it's a shame because I like a damp application.  Even a hydration spray that you spritz on, probably takes a bit off of your sunscreen.  who knows how well it binds to the skin.  But then think about it too, if you apply a liquid foundation that has water too.  And that shouldn't make it come off.  

mamaherrera, I apply my mineral make up and dab just a bit of almond oil, wow! amazing dew look!

That's a great tip for real.  But how do you apply that dab of almond oil to the whole face without disturbing the rest of your makeup?  and do you use that in place of finishing powder???

You can buy water dispersible Titanium Dioxide and put it in your spritz. I'd do it at a 10% volume. Then you are adding extra sunscreen on top of everything!

As for the buffing. That's only necessary with certain brands, namely the ones containing bismuth oxychloride, as it is a large particle heavy metal and has to be "buffed buffed buffed" into the pores.

Smaller particle minerals don't require buffing. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Great idea!! Where in the heck do you find titanium dioxde that can be dispersed in water though?  and can you find zinc oxide like that as well???  Also, if you don't buff mineral makeup, like I've got kinds that don't require buffing, what is the correct application technique for applying???? 

Plus, my other question is if I do a damp application of minerals, do you think the water and the movement of applying (I usually use like a stippling motion when I do a damp application and a bit of a swirl), do you think the water PLUS the movement on the face will take off a lot of sunscreen?? I don't think so because I only put one spritz of water on my brush (just to settle down airborne particles) and I don't even feel it really "wet" going on.  

Originally Posted by beautyboo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

mamaherrera, I apply my mineral make up and dab just a bit of almond oil, wow! amazing dew look!
This really works well!!

Originally Posted by mamaherrera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great idea!! Where in the heck do you find titanium dioxde that can be dispersed in water though?  and can you find zinc oxide like that as well???  Also, if you don't buff mineral makeup, like I've got kinds that don't require buffing, what is the correct application technique for applying???? 

Plus, my other question is if I do a damp application of minerals, do you think the water and the movement of applying (I usually use like a stippling motion when I do a damp application and a bit of a swirl), do you think the water PLUS the movement on the face will take off a lot of sunscreen?? I don't think so because I only put one spritz of water on my brush (just to settle down airborne particles) and I don't even feel it really "wet" going on.  
You can buy water dispersible TiO2 (titanium dioxide) from TKB trading.com.  

Z-Cote zinc oxide is water dispersible.

Application of mineral makeup: Dip kabuki or dense powder brush in minerals, Swirl in minerals, tap of excess and apply in circular motion. (I consider buffing repeated circular application, with a lot of pressure,  with a flat buffer brush)

I would recommend letting your sunscreen absorb/dry before applying minerals. Wet application of minerals should not effect your sunscreen. Especially with the light amount of water you are using.

But if you want the most protection: use sunscreen moisturizer, minerals with sunscreen ingredients, then spritz with hydrosol or water with SPF ingredients.

Latest posts

Back