What are some high end products you aren't impressed with?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do a lot of research before I spend more than $10 or so on any one product, but there have been a couple times I have gotten something I did not like.

Benefit They're Real mascara - I went in to Sephora right after Christmas with a giftcard and one of the things I really wanted was a nice volumizing mascara to get a more dramatic look. I had seen a lot of hype over the They're Real mascara and when I asked the salesperson about what they recommended specifically for volume she showed me the They're Real. I looked at the box and it showed the before and after. I even pointed at it and asked her if the after photo was actually consistent with what people were getting from it and she said it was. The photo shows very dense and volumized lashes, the likes of which I have only had when false lashes have been applied on me. So I get it back to my hotel room and immediately try it only to be disappointed. It was only a bit more volumizing than the E.L.F. mascara I already had, and it made my lashes stick together instead of fanning them out. I have since tried various application techniques and find that I never get the volume, but it does make my lashes super long and with some careful application and combing they do not stick together so much. The video Sephora has on their listing of the mascara is much more consistent with what I actually get than the box pictures were (though I suspected from moment one that the lashes in the after photo were fake). Thankfully I only bought the smaller $10 version and while it is not worth the hype, I can still get some use out of it.

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil - I got this (in Zero) in my Urban Decay The Black Palette (which I love). I thought Urban Decay eyeliner would be awesome, but no such luck. It refuses to apply over any eyeshadow at all, where my cheaper liners have no problem. Thankfully I did not buy the palette for the liner at all.

Eyeko Skinny liquid eyeliner - I got this in a Skinny Mini duo package with a mascara which I am still deciding on. I cannot get this to apply over eyeshadow, which is apparently common with this type of liner, so I also tried applying it first, no luck. The tip is really flimsy which may be part of the problem. I can get it to apply to the back of my hand okay, so I know there is still product in there (as there should be since I have only tried to use it maybe 3 times). I want to like it because everyone else seems to have great luck with it, but it just will not work for me. I am not sure if I just got a bad tip on mine or what. If I was given it again or somehow got it cheap, I would try it again, but I definitely will not buy it full price.

I've tried tons of mascaras but I never really see any difference. Dior, Lancome, Benefit, Mac.. All of them just kind of blah. And way too expensive. Drugstore mascaras are just as good! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I was also a little bit disappointed with the vitalumier aqua Chanel foundation. The smell of it was weird, and even though it looked good for about two hours, I always ended up extreme oliy. I also found it weird that I had to shake it so much before applying it. Same goes with the Mac fluid foundations. I do love many Mac products but their foundations make me oily, break out and look cakey. I've tried blushes, eye shadows and lip prodcts from Smashbox and didn't like any of it. I do like Benefit's highlighters, powders and blushes but I wasn't impressed by their eye shadows. I'm a lipstickaholic and when the color is beautiful I'll almost like any lipstick, but I bought a few from Kat von D, and I didn't like any of them :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've tried tons of mascaras but I never really see any difference. Dior, Lancome, Benefit, Mac.. All of them just kind of blah. And way too expensive. Drugstore mascaras are just as good! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I was also a little bit disappointed with the vitalumier aqua Chanel foundation. The smell of it was weird, and even though it looked good for about two hours, I always ended up extreme oliy. I also found it weird that I had to shake it so much before applying it. Same goes with the Mac fluid foundations. I do love many Mac products but their foundations make me oily, break out and look cakey. I've tried blushes, eye shadows and lip prodcts from Smashbox and didn't like any of it. I do like Benefit's highlighters, powders and blushes but I wasn't impressed by their eye shadows. I'm a lipstickaholic and when the color is beautiful I'll almost like any lipstick, but I bought a few from Kat von D, and I didn't like any of them :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The MAC tinted moisturizer! I guess coverage was about what I would expect, but it broke me out like crazy! I just ordered thebalm's tinted moisturizer from hautlook and I'm hoping its better!

Too faced eye pallets omg the fallout is horrible and frankly I am not in love with any eye pallet by them 

Originally Posted by heatwebb000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Too faced eye pallets omg the fallout is horrible and frankly I am not in love with any eye pallet by them 
Too faced in general for me. Over priced terrible products....blech. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me, it had to be the Makeup Forever HD Foundation. I saw others that had really amazing results with this foundation, but it just didn't give me the coverage I needed and whenever I wore this, it always looked really obvious that I had foundation on. 
THIS! I got a sample of this and have not been able to finish the sample up! I just dont get what is so great about it! No matter what I do, it looks like i have foundation on my face. I just cant make it look good. pass! i did however get a sample of MUFE Face and Body... now that is a completely different story! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

A product that i tried recently that i just cant get into is the new Tarte BB Cream. I put that on my face and it just disappears! what the what?! no way i would pay $34 for a glorified moisturizer! bleh. 

Gotta agree about the Makeup Forever foundation. I was so disappointed! It magnified my pores and was so visible no matter how much I blended. It sunk in to every fine line and just looked awful. I returned it. Another, for me, is Benefit's Porefessional. Doesn't matter how I apply it, it just doesn't make that much of a difference to justify the price.

I had a stint with loving Bobbi Brown products and as time has gone on and I've worn them more, I stopped liking them so much. The colors are never totally unique and new. Sometimes they get boring. 

The Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 is super runny. I also don't think the color ever looks right on me, all of her face makeup products are yellow based. I have rosacea and would much prefer a pink based foundation or concealer. All of her powders are also yellow... These really wash me out. This makeup was really expensive, I think $48 so I am definitely going to use up the bottle.. but I wont buy it again. 

I also bought her gel eyeliner, which the sales staff at the counter absolutely raved about. It was very expensive I bought both brown and black and I don't think it's worth it. I don't know if that is because I really like pencils better or what, but I don't love it. 

I'm not impressed with anything made by bobby brown. I don't understand how and why her line is popular. Lancôme teinte foundations are overrated. I sampled it in the store and was disappointed. Urban decays primer potion is another product that I can live without. Mac products are a great disappointment.

I just got a sample of the new Urban Decay beauty balm, and it is teh sucks. AWFUL. It just totally vanishes, doing absolutely nothing to my face. I'm glad it was just a sample and I didn't shell out the $34 or however much that awfulness costs. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just got a sample of the new Urban Decay beauty balm, and it is teh sucks. AWFUL. It just totally vanishes, doing absolutely nothing to my face. I'm glad it was just a sample and I didn't shell out the $34 or however much that awfulness costs. 
Agreed...if they called it a primer, maybe. A beauty balm? Absolutely not.

Benefit BadGal mascara - It's not BAD, just nothing special, did nothing more for my lashes than any cheap drugstore mascara.

MAC in general - I've tried only pigments, eyeshadow, blush, and lipsticks - but again, nothing that stands out to me, and I don't get the hype. Products aren't bad but I get better results from pigments from Indie brands, and the shadows, blushes, and lipsticks are just ordinary for me.

UD Naked Palette - I got it as a gift and promptly gave it to my sister. While the formula of the shadows is awesome, on me, the shades look boring, muddy, and similar...might as well have been a palette of like, 4 shades. Also tend to be a bit warm for me.

I'm not really feeling the UD Naked palette, either one of them. Though I don't have it, I can not bring myself to purchase it either. It just seems so... so... lacklustre...? The colors aren't anything special. I have similar shades, if not, exact same colors in MAC or another brand, they just didn't all come together in one palette. Eh... just not into it at all.
I couldn't agree more! UD is just full of hype. Shadows have too much fallout. I used to be a fan of UD and now I switched over to theBalm, they have amazing products.

That product is horrible, and what's with that minty smell it has?! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yves Saint Laurent EVERYTHING. Seriously. I have tried their foundations, lipsticks, eyeshadow pallets, and most recently, that hugely-hyped lip stain crap (and I mean that in the kindest way, LOL), and I will never drop another dime on that company. Totally not impressed. Same goes for most all of the Dior products I've tried. Very happy with my Lorac and MUF purchases almost wholeheartedly though! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Mss T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not impressed with anything made by bobby brown. I don't understand how and why her line is popular. Lancôme teinte foundations are overrated. I sampled it in the store and was disappointed. Urban decays primer potion is another product that I can live without. Mac products are a great disappointment.
I'm right there with ya! I bought several BB cosmetics once and they've sat basically untouched except for the day I brought them home. Just ho-hum IMO.

For me it's the Chanel Bronze universal . I used to see Pixiwoo sisters use all the time to contour and it looked amazing on them. I went out and go out and I tried every single brush to make it work but I always end up with a muddy Finish :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm an NW25 by the way .

-Sunday Riley's Perfecting Foundation (It was like using a tinted moisturizer more so than a foundation.)

-Estee Lauder's Matte Perfecting Primer (My foundation and makeup started to flake throughout the day. The texture is very awkward, as well. This is easily Estee Lauder's weakest product.)

-Ken Gen Do's Liquid Treatment Concealer (It was like using a luminizing pen more so than a concealer.)

-Becca's Mineral Bronzing Powder (My face looked muddy by the end of the day.)

-Dolce & Gabbana's Secret Eyes Lengthening Mascara (This mascara produces a relatively invisible color payoff. It lacks pigment and doesn't deliver real results, as promised. D&G's other mascaras are superior.)

-NARS Larger Than Life Lipgloss (More like icky sticky. I love NARS, but this gloss is a disappointment in comparison to a vast majority of their other products.)

-Ellis Faas Eyeliner (Quite possibly one of the worst applications I have ever used in an eyeliner. After turning the knob waiting for product, it decided to come out in huge globs.)

-Givenchy's L'Ombre Noire Multi-Purpose Eyeshadow (Dries way too quickly and the color payoff produced is so insigificant. Definitely one of the worst products they have created.)

-Josie Maran's Magic Marker Lip & Cheek Stain (After using it three times, it dried out. It's also not really pigmented. I've used drugstore lipstains that are better.)

-Laura Mercier's Moisture Supreme Foundation (It was like using mud from a spa on my face. Definitely Laura Mercier's weakest product.)

-Chantecaille's Real Skin Makeup (Minimal coverage, not much product, didn't last long, etc. Very weak product.)

-Guerlain's Noir G de Mascara (Not a fan of the smell nor the design of this mascara. Definitely one of Guerlain's weaker products.)

Back