What are some high end products you aren't impressed with?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The title explains it all!

What high end products have you tried that you just aren't impressed with? What did you not like about them? 

For me, it had to be the Makeup Forever HD Foundation. I saw others that had really amazing results with this foundation, but it just didn't give me the coverage I needed and whenever I wore this, it always looked really obvious that I had foundation on. 

I'm less impressed by high end products than most are, I think, because the drugstore items seem to be stepping up their game at the same time that the high end companies are starting to disappoint. The most recent HE item I was truly "meh" about has to have been Diorshow mascara, though. Wasn't bad, just didn't seem to justify the hype AT ALL. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm less impressed by high end products than most are, I think, because the drugstore items seem to be stepping up their game at the same time that the high end companies are starting to disappoint. The most recent HE item I was truly "meh" about has to have been Diorshow mascara, though. Wasn't bad, just didn't seem to justify the hype AT ALL. 
Oh, most definitely. I think another thing that drugstore brands do really well are dupes of well-known cult favorites, like NARS Orgasm blush for example.

And as far as disappointments go...oy vey, look at MAC! I'm impressed with the Hey, Sailor collection, but the Beth Ditto one that they just churned out has not impressed many. The quality looks to be really, really poor. It seems like some brands (MAC, cough cough!) are just poppin' out collection after collection, and quality and originality has been really declining as a result. 

I'll agree on the Diorshow. I do really like the way my lashes look when I put it on, but a $30 mascara does not impress me, especially since I chunk mine religiously every three months. I just ordered the Maybelline Colossal mascara which I've heard is really similar, so we'll see. 

surprisingly, posietint by benefit. I almost bought it, but fortunately got a small sample in a trade, and I'm glad I did. I can't get any color to show on my cheeks for the life of me, and I'm super pale. It just doesn't work, at least not for me. 

I prefer my 8 dollar sula cheek tint. 

Perfekt Eye Perfection Gel, it felt nice going on, but did absolutely nothing. For $45, its gotta actually DO SOMETHING.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

surprisingly, posietint by benefit. I almost bought it, but fortunately got a small sample in a trade, and I'm glad I did. I can't get any color to show on my cheeks for the life of me, and I'm super pale. It just doesn't work, at least not for me. 

I prefer my 8 dollar sula cheek tint. 
I feel the same way about Benetint! I'm very much over it. I've found that it wears off of my lips and cheeks very, very quickly. Not worth it. 

$45?! Seriously? That is a massive letdown. Were you able to return it?

Originally Posted by suenotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Perfekt Eye Perfection Gel, it felt nice going on, but did absolutely nothing. For $45, its gotta actually DO SOMETHING.
Oh, and the mention of Benefit reminded me of another product. Benefit's boxed powder in Georgia. This powder is the WORST. The color is too faint to use as a blush, there isn't any shimmer so it wouldn't make a decent highlight, and it gives a weird cast to your face if you use it all over. The only thing its good for is for putting it on over cream blushes to tone down dewiness if there's too much. All in all, a total waste of $30 ($35 including shipping). 

Yes, I returned it. I said the same thing to the clerk, who probably couldn't care less (just shrugged and gave me my money back). I should know better anyway, few products, if any, actually will correct lines or wrinkles. I have no idea why I thought it would do what it said on the box. Honestly, I have never had a problem returning items to Sephora, I think because of that, I feel more free to try things (knowing that if I hate it, I can return it).

Oh, I also bought Anastasia Illumin8 eyeshadow palette in Carnival. Now, I have a couple of her palettes and really like them, but this one, it had so much fall out, powder just fell everywhere on my face and the color was all wrong on me. I can tolerate, or expect a bit of fallout, but this stuff was crazy messy. Dermstore took it back, but you need a RMA to return things there and if you got any GWP those go back too. Not quite as return-friendly as Sephora.

Recent Dior quints have been a disappointment. Also most Chantecaille products I've tried, but I'm not really in their target demographic, so that may be why everything sucked on me.

Originally Posted by lolaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recent Dior quints have been a disappointment. Also most Chantecaille products I've tried, but I'm not really in their target demographic, so that may be why everything sucked on me.
That's a bummer! Dior stuff ain't cheap,either. What was disappointing about them?

Originally Posted by suenotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I returned it. I said the same thing to the clerk, who probably couldn't care less (just shrugged and gave me my money back). I should know better anyway, few products, if any, actually will correct lines or wrinkles. I have no idea why I thought it would do what it said on the box. Honestly, I have never had a problem returning items to Sephora, I think because of that, I feel more free to try things (knowing that if I hate it, I can return it).
Sephora seriously has the best return policy. Every time I want to purchase something high end, I always get it from Sephora. I was able to return my Clarisonic there. That's another product I had heard so many great things about, but for someone who had active, hormonal acne, it was my worst nightmare lol.

Originally Posted by lolaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep!

Kérastase Elixir Ultime

Received it in a BirchBox, used it as directed. Did not notice any improvement in shine, manageability, or condition of my hair. At $54 for four ounces, it needs to be a performer :)

Cha Cha Tint: There was no pigmentation at all, and I have fair skin, it was just all sparkle and I looked like Edward Cullen when he stepped into the sunlight.

Not very 'high end' per say. But it's one of the most expensive things I bought (I usually buy e.l.f products)

Originally Posted by Vera7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cha Cha Tint: There was no pigmentation at all, and I have fair skin, it was just all sparkle and I looked like Edward Cullen when he stepped into the sunlight.

Not very 'high end' per say. But it's one of the most expensive things I bought (I usually buy e.l.f products)

Apparently the tints are just...no good! haha, we've mentioned benetint, posietint, and chachatint in this thread.

Lancome eyeshadows are the worst I've ever tried, including drugstore brands. They're chalky and the pigmentation is just unbelievably bad--but I only ever buy lancome products when they have good GWP's, so I can't really complain :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's a bummer! Dior stuff ain't cheap,either. What was disappointing about them?
The pigmentation and texture. I don't mind the price, but it has to at least perform decently.

I hated the MUFE HD foundation, too- It was horrible. Totally couldn't figure out why it's so popular.

I also haven't been super impressed with any of Tarte's powder products- The payout from their blush and bronzer's is almost nonexistent for me :/

I know! I have like 4 different hair oils/creams from sub companies. they don't do anything to my hair other than weigh it down/make it greasy (well grease is shiny right? lol). you'd probably reap the same benefits using olive oil or something anyway. I wish they'd include volumizing hair products

Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Kérastase Elixir Ultime - Received it in a BirchBox, used it as directed. Did not notice any improvement in shine, manageability, or condition of my hair. At $54 for four ounces, it needs to be a performer :)
I bought the tarte 2011 holiday "starlet" palette which had like 52 eyeshadows, and I returned it because almost all were chalky and badly pigmented. but I did like the blushes that came with the kit though. they're very sheer, but I layer it up. I just like the texture--when I wear it you can't tell it's a powder even up close.

Originally Posted by sprite9034 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also haven't been super impressed with any of Tarte's powder products- The payout from their blush and bronzer's is almost nonexistent for me :

I came in here specifically to say Dior's mascara. It seems like there's a lot of hype, but meh, I didn't think they were any better than any other mascara

Most of the high-end mascaras just leave me kind of...meh. Not so much that any of them suck, but none of them shine either. Of these I'm least impressed with the Lancome mascara that vibrates, because that's just a silly premise. If I want something long that vibrates...I'm not buying it at Macy's, I can tell you that! I do a lot of GWPs and they almost always include a mascara. I rarely have to buy them because of this, but when I do I just go to Rite Aid and pick me up some Cover Girl Lash Blast. It does the job just fine. I'm freakish about replacing my mascara every three months so I'm not going to spend $30 on it when I can get a nice lipstick.

Latest posts

Back