What are these "BB Creams" I'm hearing so much about??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of buzz about these new BB creams and I'm not exactly sure what they are! I'm sure I'm just out of the loop but can someone fill me in? what are the best ones and are they worth the money? Thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

A BB Cream stands for "Beauty Balm" or "Blemish Balm" and is

basically supposed to hydrate and benefit the skin while adding the pigment level of a light to medium coverage foundation. Unfortunately the BB creams we have in the West are not at all the same formula, quality or product they have in Asia.The majority of BB creams you'd find in the drugstore and Sephora are just repackaged tinted moisturizers that masquerade as BB creams but really aren't. Also the Asian style BB creams are considerably more pigmented.

A true Beauty Balm should go on nearly clear or white and adjust to your skin tone giving your skin that "renewed" nourished effect and a fair degree of coverage. The closest version to the true BB cream formulation is the one by L'oreal - the rest are knock offs, trust me.

I suggest visiting the missha US website. They make amazing BB creams.

I never liked any BB cream I tried, until I tried these.

They have totally replaced my Make Up Forever HD foundation. (which was my staple)

Thank you for the replies! They are helpful! I have some more questions though like does it have very good coverage or is it basically the same coverage as a tinted moisturizer? Are you suppose to wear it under regular foundation? Because I have VERY acne prone skin and I need lots of coverage so would a bb cream be for me?

Very acne prone skin or acne ridden skin (like do you have a lot of acne on your face right now)? If you have very bad acne and pimples that are "raised" than a BB cream no matter the formulation probably won't be enough coverage on it's own but you could totally use it as a base for your foundation. It will take away some of the redness but it won't give that bluring effect to pimples like a full coverage foundation would.

Originally Posted by Suzy<3makeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you for the replies! They are helpful! I have some more questions though like does it have very good coverage or is it basically the same coverage as a tinted moisturizer? Are you suppose to wear it under regular foundation? Because I have VERY acne prone skin and I need lots of coverage so would a bb cream be for me?
BB creams are Blemish Balms..so they actually heal acne.I would say it's medium coverage...way more than a tinted moisturizer, but you would want to wear it under foundation if you need heavy coverage.

BB creams are Blemish Balms..so they actually heal acne.I would say it's medium coverage...way more than a tinted moisturizer, but you would want to wear it under foundation if you need heavy coverage.
Beauty Balm, not blemish balm. I'm pretty sure they don't heal acne. Edit for clarification: I think in the US we tend to use Beauty Balm vs Blemish Balm in Asia.

I also hear that the US BB Creams aren't as good quality as the asian / korean bbcream. The US is coming out with CC Cream (lol) now that is supposed to be better!

Originally Posted by captainamanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Beauty Balm, not blemish balm. I'm pretty sure they don't heal acne.

Edit for clarification: I think in the US we tend to use Beauty Balm vs Blemish Balm in Asia.
Same difference. A true BB cream (Asian BB cream) can heal blemishes, scarring as well as have anti aging wrinkle reducing and skin brightening properties.

Not to mention decent coverage and SPF!

It really is a multi- tasking product. Which is why it became all the rage.

Originally Posted by aquaeyes77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The majority of BB creams you'd find in the drugstore and Sephora are just repackaged tinted moisturizers that masquerade as BB creams but really aren't.
Exactly.  Here in the US it's a marketing tool.  They slap the name "BB cream" on a package of tinted moisturizer and then triple the price.  

You really have to do your reseach to make sure you're getting a product that's worth the price they're charging.

Good to know.  I was tempted to try one out, but I think I'll just stick with my moisturizer with sunblock and my primer over that!

Latest posts

Back