What colour makeup should I wear, now my hair is red?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My hair is red.  Very red indeed.  I'm happy with the colour, but I'm stuck as to what to wear makeup wise.  My skin is very fair, my eyes are green and another thing I have to consider is that I'm 37, so I really need to get my makeup right, or else I'm going to look like mutton dressed as lamb!

I'm just sticking with 'browns' at the moment, but does anyone have any advice as to what other colours would suit?  I wondered about grey eyeshadows, but not sure if it would make my face look even paler still, even with my bronzer?

Any recs, gratefully received!

I think that eyeshadow in the green and gold families would look lovely on you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Grey should work decently as well, since it's a neutral. It sounds like you have beautiful coloring!

I'm a redhead, too, but I have blue eyes. I wear browns and golds/bronzes most often on my eyes, but plums and even some light purples sometimes. I think greys could be pretty.

I'm dying to try some sort of orange-y tones in eyeshadows, as well...maybe peaches (which work great for blushes on me) or maybe even some pale orange, like the Stila mimosa shadow.

I like being pale! I just play around with enough blush and highlighter in nice warm tones!

Ooh, thank you for your replies!

I'm not a natural redhead, in fact the name of the shade I use is 'Intense Spice' so I am actually a bit of a chilli head; I don't think I made that very clear though, lol.

I like the idea of the purple eyeshadows - and the green ones too.  In fact, I did have some purple eyeshadow, but shortly before I dyed my hair I chucked it out.  Now I wish I hadn't...

Oh well, live and learn as they say!

I'm not naturally a redhead, either. (Mom is, though). And a "chili pepper" shade of hair will look great with plums and such. I would say, though, that redheads IN GENERAL and in my opinion only, tend to look better with more dramatic eyes and a more downplayed lip. Too easy for the lip to clash with the mane, ya know?

No Calexxia, I totally agree with you, redheads in general do look better for accentuating eyes not lips!

THIS was the red hair that I had. Not quite a chili pepper shade, but definitely bright.

Wow, that colour really suits you!  What made you switch to brunette, if you don't mind my asking?

Brunette is my natural shade. I always loved how my father's hair looked as it silvered, and since I'm going to be turning 40 soon, I've stopped coloring my hair, in anticipation of when mine starts silvering (because I know if I'm coloring it when it starts to change, I'll probably NEVER stop coloring it)

Plus, fewer things clash with the brunette than with the red :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back