What cosmetic brand is most likely to go out-of-business?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There are a few brands I see that I wonder how on Earth they stay in business. My top picks for brands that need to "give up the ghost" are:

Elizabeth Arden - OLD, tacky displays and a weary business image aren't helping this line.

Borghese - Doesn't this sell better at TJMaxx than at department stores?

Any others I'm missing??? What's your opinion?
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish There are a few brands I see that I wonder how on Earth they stay in business. My top picks for brands that need to "give up the ghost" are:

Elizabeth Arden - OLD, tacky displays and a weary business image aren't helping this line.

icon_cheesygrin.gif

Well as much as I like Max Factor mascara, I was surprised that there wasn't a drop in sales after their CEO/heir gave several woman ruffie drugs and raped them on video tape then fled to another country. LOL. Ooooooooooooook!

Fugitive heir deported to US

<!-- S BO --><!-- S IIMA -->
_39179892_arrest203bodyap.jpg
Luster disappeared in January while on trial

Max Factor cosmetics heir Andrew Luster, who was arrested in Mexico, has arrived in the United States to start his 124 year prison sentence.

The convicted rapist arrived at Los Angeles airport on Thursday evening on a commercial flight.

Luster, 39, was arrested on Wednesday in the Pacific resort of Puerto Vallarta as the US bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman was trying seize him.

He had fled the US in January when he jumped his $1m bail during his trial.

He was later convicted in his absence on 86 counts of rape, poisoning and drug possession.

The arrest was made after a couple who had spent time with Luster in Puerto Vallarta contacted the FBI when they returned to the US and realised who he was.

The couple also notified Mr Chapman, who is believed to have been hunting Luster since he jumped his bail.

Hiding in plain sight

Luster disappeared on 3 January, despite being under house arrest and wearing an electronic tag.

His car and dog were found later that month.

ANDREW LUSTER

Great grandson of cosmetics mogul Max Factor

Arrested in July 2000

Bail initially set at $10m, reduced to $1m

Trial began in December 2002

Disappeared on 3 Jan

Found guilty on 21 Jan on 86 of 87 charges

inline_dashed_line.gif

Reports say he had been living in a hotel in Puerto Vallarta for a month - next door to the local office of the federal justice department.

He was sentenced in February for raping three women and drugging two of them with the so-called "date rape" drug GHB at his home in California.

His lawyers argued during the trial that the sex had been consensual and suggested that Luster may have been kidnapped or had an accident.

But last week a Californian court ruled out an appeal, saying he had forfeited his right to appeal by skipping bail and going on the run. Luster is the great-grandson of Max Factor, who established a cosmetics empire in 1920s Hollywood. The firm was sold by Max Factor junior in the 1970s.

Source<!-- E BO -->

P.S. Have fun in prison, Max Jr!

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish There are a few brands I see that I wonder how on Earth they stay in business. My top picks for brands that need to "give up the ghost" are:

icon_cheesygrin.gif

I totally agree with Elizabeth Arden and Borghese..never been moved to try either one..Actually surprised Alexander De markoff is still around too..They haven't revamped their line since I can remember seeing it for the first time back in the late '70's

Here's something interesting about Alexander De Markoff: A few months ago, Lord and Taylor closed their doors in Tampa. Before L&T closed their doors, the store had big sales to get rid of merchandise, including select products from the already closed and cleaned out cosmetic counters. All the sale cosmetics were in boxes on several large tables and counters. When I went to see what was for sale, I found lots of old Alexander De Markoff products, even though the store NEVER sold that line in the first place! Looks like management thought that slipping ADM into their clearance bins would be a good way to get rid of some otherwise gross warehouse inventory. I'm sure many customers would never know the truth!

Originally Posted by allisong I totally agree with Elizabeth Arden and Borghese..never been moved to try either one..Actually surprised Alexander De markoff is still around too..They haven't revamped their line since I can remember seeing it for the first time back in the late '70's

I really like Elizabeth Arden's mascara and cream foundation. Have you ever heard of a really rubbish company called Collection 2000? On impulse i bought one of their white eyeliners to try a look i'de seen in a magazine but it was SO rubbish! It was brick hard and had no pigment i wondered how they could even sell it. It was like using a piece of white colored plastic as an eyeliner!

Oh, that pencil sounded waaay old! Maybe the company name is really Collection 2000 BC?
icon_lol.gif
I've had pencils like that from Trish McEvoy. Her eyebrow pencil was better at being an epilator than a colorant. My hairs stuck to the pencil and I always found one or two sticking to the tip when I was done struggling to apply the color!

Originally Posted by candy I really like Elizabeth Arden's mascara and cream foundation. Have you ever heard of a really rubbish company called Collection 2000? On impulse i bought one of their white eyeliners to try a look i'de seen in a magazine but it was SO rubbish! It was brick hard and had no pigment i wondered how they could even sell it. It was like using a piece of white colored plastic as an eyeliner!

Latest posts

Back