What do you want from your sample boxes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I HATE that. I feel like shampoo and conditioner are a system, and they go together. It was weird to me to just get one little ojon shampoo in my BB last month. 
 I got just the Ojon conditioner in my BB last month and I completely agree! Shampoos and conditioners go together but I think I would've rather gotten just the shampoo than just the conditioner... I mean, come on! LOL!

The only 2 things I would like to see is that if something is meant to be part of a system keep the system intact. Like Shampoo and Conditioner, a skin regiment if there are 3 steps put in all 3 steps not just one, and for the lifestyle extras put more than one, there isn't much use from one note card or hair tie. The other is don't send me things that cannot be purchased on their own, if the only way you can get the product is if you have to buy another product you haven't tried then most people won't buy both myself included. Other than that I have been happy with my subs.

Barrettes I don't mind so much. Two years ago I cut almost 3 feet of hair off, still leaving it long (was trying to practice the Sikh religion along with my husband and the strict-practice ones don't cut the hair. The marriage is still working, though the faith didn't, at least for me. DH is still lovely in long hair.) So I have been relearning to do my hair in anything other than a knee-length braid, and I like to get hair accessories. To me they're still a part of beauty and grooming.

Quality control, please!!! Two months in a row I received Look Bags that were full of broken containers or jars with loose tops so the contents got all over everything. Once it got into the nail polish caps and just stuck there like glue. I ended up sending a rather curt email to Timothy after the second, who went above and beyond in replacing. And once Birchbox sent a vial of facial oil which I turned out to like once it was replaced--there was a defect in the cap and it leaked out so badly it got into the little tube of Jouer gloss and actually affected the taste. I want to see these companies be a little more careful in their packing, and if possible some QC of the actual products. (I didn't receive a tube of Dr. Jart, but I think I would have gone batpucky if it had come to me empty.)
I think I got the worst bb last month (box 11). I got an empty bb cream and emailed them. They proceeded to send me 2 more that had a couple drops in them "so that I could fully test out the product"; the sample was TINY and even with three vials, there was not even enough to fill one half way -- it was a total crap situation. They sent me a card with the tubes saying "with their non-scientific in office studies, we found that if you store them overnight with the cap down, the product comes out better that way." I felt like they were insulting my intelligence.I wasn't pleased with that, but I'm sticking by them as I'm sure it wasn't their fault they received empty samples.

I wish Birchbox wouldn't send out so many variations on their boxes.  I'd like to see 10 different boxes or less.  I guess maybe they do so many boxes because they have a ton of subscribers and only so much product......but Glossybox pulled it off and I loved that we didn't have to suffer through box envy with our Glossyboxes!  I also hope to NEVER receive that Fashion Tape, those GIANT ugly barrettes, and those horrible coasters.  I'd rather have a zillion packs of tea than any of that crap.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  
I totally agree. I always have box envy with bb. I think I'm set up with the sucky rotation bc Ive gotten what I feel is the least valuable/worst of all the available boxes. I'm still sticking it out and hoping for the best! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I totally agree. I always have box envy with bb. I think I'm set up with the sucky rotation bc Ive gotten what I feel is the least valuable/worst of all the available boxes. I'm still sticking it out and hoping for the best! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I've been pretty blessed with BB, most of what I've received each month has been good products and good quality. MOST. One thing about BB that gets under my skin is that, if Facebook is any great indicator, they roll out something without listening to their clients. A few months ago they did this huge spinfest on lip tattoos and stick-on eyeliner. To my memory, there were a ton of replies and the majority were, "Ecch, please don't put something like this in my box!" Of course the next month everybody got lip tattoos or stick-on eyeliner, with more FB posts pimping them like they'd give you eternal salvation. For the companies that have you do a profile, I wish they would both take the responses under consideration, and fine-tune their questions to better tailor junk like this to their clients. That stick on stuff might work well for a 20-something who hangs out in clubs, but highly impractical for someone like me whose job is to pull in money for charity--Mr. Conservative Bigbucks might not respond too well to a 40-something done up like a drag queen with leopard-print lips.

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been pretty blessed with BB, most of what I've received each month has been good products and good quality. MOST. One thing about BB that gets under my skin is that, if Facebook is any great indicator, they roll out something without listening to their clients. A few months ago they did this huge spinfest on lip tattoos and stick-on eyeliner. To my memory, there were a ton of replies and the majority were, "Ecch, please don't put something like this in my box!" Of course the next month everybody got lip tattoos or stick-on eyeliner, with more FB posts pimping them like they'd give you eternal salvation.

For the companies that have you do a profile, I wish they would both take the responses under consideration, and fine-tune their questions to better tailor junk like this to their clients. That stick on stuff might work well for a 20-something who hangs out in clubs, but highly impractical for someone like me whose job is to pull in money for charity--Mr. Conservative Bigbucks might not respond too well to a 40-something done up like a drag queen with leopard-print lips.
Well, to be fair, I'm sure they plan their boxes far more than a month ahead of time and its too late to change them at that point, so posting it on facebook is more of a preview than trying to gauge what their customers think about them. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, to be fair, I'm sure they plan their boxes far more than a month ahead of time and its too late to change them at that point, so posting it on facebook is more of a preview than trying to gauge what their customers think about them. 
Fair enough, but I would think by this point there would be a little more planning involved, or at least setting contents up according to profile preferences beforehand. I think it's a common issue, that a lot of people feel that the profiles are essentially ignored, or rather dismissed as I don't think someone in a warehouse is saying "the hell with your sensitive skin, here's a scrub."

Fair enough, but I would think by this point there would be a little more planning involved, or at least setting contents up according to profile preferences beforehand. I think it's a common issue, that a lot of people feel that the profiles are essentially ignored, or rather dismissed as I don't think someone in a warehouse is saying "the hell with your sensitive skin, here's a scrub."
While I agree with you, and have been disappointed in my bbs and think they should follow the profile more, I have two theories on the issue: 

1) They used to be able to plan more, but now they are too big. With the number of boxes and subscribers they have, there is no way to match them to specific profiles.

2) The "profiles" are actually market research...the companies use them, rather than birchbox, to see who ended up liking their product. 

I don't know if either of these are true, obviously, but they are just some thoughts I had as to why it seems like birchbox doesn't care what you say in your profile. 

While I agree with you, and have been disappointed in my bbs and think they should follow the profile more, I have two theories on the issue: 

1) They used to be able to plan more, but now they are too big. With the number of boxes and subscribers they have, there is no way to match them to specific profiles.

2) The "profiles" are actually market research...the companies use them, rather than birchbox, to see who ended up liking their product. 

I don't know if either of these are true, obviously, but they are just some thoughts I had as to why it seems like birchbox doesn't care what you say in your profile. 
Both are perfectly plausible, and I was just thinking about your first point before it appeared! This is why I think BB  actually needs to streamline it more--you can get any of 22 boxes in a month, is this right? There is no need for so many, especially since they have to see feedback from one place or another about the disparity of value some people experience. I think having 10 or 12 varieties would be more than enough to satisfy the needs of customers in a wide variety of ages and beauty/complexion concerns.

Are we referring to the same thing in talking about profiles? I can see beauty companies using product feedback as you describe, but it seems to me that the profile questions you answer in setting up the subscription account would be more for the use of the subscription company. The only way I can see a cosmetic company using it is to determine how much zit cream versus wrinkle cream to ship out.

Both are perfectly plausible, and I was just thinking about your first point before it appeared! This is why I think BB  actually needs to streamline it more--you can get any of 22 boxes in a month, is this right? There is no need for so many, especially since they have to see feedback from one place or another about the disparity of value some people experience. I think having 10 or 12 varieties would be more than enough to satisfy the needs of customers in a wide variety of ages and beauty/complexion concerns.

Are we referring to the same thing in talking about profiles? I can see beauty companies using product feedback as you describe, but it seems to me that the profile questions you answer in setting up the subscription account would be more for the use of the subscription company. The only way I can see a cosmetic company using it is to determine how much zit cream versus wrinkle cream to ship out.
Yeah, we are talking about the same thing irt profiles. What I mean is the company receives the feedback along with the beauty profile of who left it. Then they can see what age groups, what incomes, self proclaimed styles, etc are enjoying their product and who aren't. While the feedback in and of itself is useful for marketing, combine it with a profile of the customer who enjoys the product and purchases the full size, and you have possibly the most powerful data you can find. 

Yeah, we are talking about the same thing irt profiles. What I mean is the company receives the feedback along with the beauty profile of who left it. Then they can see what age groups, what incomes, self proclaimed styles, etc are enjoying their product and who aren't. While the feedback in and of itself is useful for marketing, combine it with a profile of the customer who enjoys the product and purchases the full size, and you have possibly the most powerful data you can find. 
Excellent point! But how would they end up implementing it?

Excellent point! But how would they end up implementing it?
Targeted marketing, I think we all miss the fact that sample boxes aren't even really about us as individuals, and go so far beyond the actual box company. It could help them decide where to open a store, or what chain stores to start selling their products in based on your answers to where you would be buying the full size, help them decide who their ad campaigns should attract, if a wrinkle cream is oddly popular among 22 year olds, they might start marketing it towards them in addition to the older crowd, as just a really great moisturizer, etc. Basically, they give samples away to box companies because they know their will be a HUGE ROI on it. 

I'm really not too fussy - all I want from my sub services is what they advertise. I want deluxe sample sizes of a variety of products. I want good, well known brands, mixed with lesser known ones that are new to me. And if they have me fill out a profile, I do want them to at least refer to it occasionally.

I want more organic products! Like Shea Terra Organics - I was so happy to see that as one of my first choices from Beauty Army, but have never gotten another choice of that. And everyone seemed to love it.

Originally Posted by serioussparkles /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I want more organic products! Like Shea Terra Organics - I was so happy to see that as one of my first choices from Beauty Army, but have never gotten another choice of that. And everyone seemed to love it.
With all the "themed" boxes going out these days, you'd think someone would do organic or vegan as a theme-of-the-month. I'd love some natural perfume--Essence of Vali would be a nice addition!--and some natural makeup and crafted soap. There are armies of makeup options too, more than many would realize and they're not all on Etsy!

With all the "themed" boxes going out these days, you'd think someone would do organic or vegan as a theme-of-the-month. I'd love some natural perfume--Essence of Vali would be a nice addition!--and some natural makeup and crafted soap. There are armies of makeup options too, more than many would realize and they're not all on Etsy!
For sure - that would be amazing! I'm really into the natural scents, not the chemical/alcohol based ones.

Maybe they don't because there are so many other companies specifically courting that market? Just thinkin' out loud, here.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe they don't because there are so many other companies specifically courting that market? Just thinkin' out loud, here.
True, but it's still a market to tap into, regardless. Not everyone watches Gossip Girl, but we all got that special Birchbox.

Quote: Originally Posted by serioussparkles /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love green and organic products, too, and am always happy to see them in my boxes. BB attempted to do a green "earth day" theme for April, but in my opinion, they failed in that they included that Taylor Swift perfume (which I like, but come on. Plenty of natural perfumes out there).

But, yeah...with companies like Green Grab Bag and Kara's Way out there that focus solely on those areas, I don't mind that other subs don't.

Back