What do you want from your sample boxes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Every month we have the same discussion in every thread, "Why isn't there more make up in my boxes??" "Why are these things so full of skincare??!" "Blech, another hair oil".

So, I thought it'd be a good idea to bring that discussion into one thread, with one basic question: What exactly is it that you want from your sample boxes?

Feel free to deviate into the "why no make up" etc territory if you wish. 

I don't mind not having so much makeup selections due to how pick I am. I have so many mascara samples plus full size mascaras right now that there's no way I can use these products up within the next two years. IF I were to get more makeup samples what I would like is something way more than a one-time use sample size (Jouer tinted moisturizer from Birchbox really ticked me off) and along the lines of the samples sizes I get in my Test Tube (about 1 oz worth of product good to test for a week).

What I DON'T want to see anymore are tiny foils and one-time use products. Those tick me off. Perfume samples I don't mind so long as it's not a tiny vial - I can get tiny vials from my local Sephora or Macy's for free - but I would like a deluxe size sample like the freebies I get off of Facebook (from time to time). If I don't like the scent for myself my daughters would.

On that note the Stila "smokey eye" sample aka a little bit of make up on a card, really got to me. What kind of crap was THAT? 

And yeah, I love getting perfume, as long as it is a sample with a sprayer on it! 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Every month we have the same discussion in every thread, "Why isn't there more make up in my boxes??" "Why are these things so full of skincare??!" "Blech, another hair oil".

So, I thought it'd be a good idea to bring that discussion into one thread, with one basic question: What exactly is it that you want from your sample boxes?

Feel free to deviate into the "why no make up" etc territory if you wish. 
Balance, balance, balance! I don't insist it be all makeup or even makeup-heavy. My ideal sub would have a well-rounded table of contents: hair, skincare, nails, color, perfume, body care/soap, and the occasional "lifestyle" product like the toothpaste or hair elastics or the laundry thingies Birchbox had a couple of months ago. If I had my way I wouldn't see another primer for a year, only because earlier this year I became swamped in primers and I'm sick of seeing them. 

What I don't want are the paper goods I frequently see out of Birchbox, given their track record of sending boxes with varying values. It's irritating to see Jane So-and-So get 5 items including color, and yours has 4 and one of them is a set of two paper coasters. Had they been a little nicer (like the woven cloth ones I got in a limited edition special order from BB) they would have made a decent enough lifestyle offering, but the paper ones I can get free on karaoke night at Joe's Bar and Grill.

Lastly, while I'm on this, I think it would be better to have a more equal distribution of value--again, Birchbox has a special issue with this, as happy as I've been with them for the most part. Every month we read about how one person has this awesome box and the next one gets a metric ton of primer and an embossed napkin. I'd like to see many of the companies streamline it a little so they can share the wealth.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I DON'T want to see anymore are tiny foils and one-time use products. Those tick me off. Perfume samples I don't mind so long as it's not a tiny vial - I can get tiny vials from my local Sephora or Macy's for free - but I would like a deluxe size sample like the freebies I get off of Facebook (from time to time). If I don't like the scent for myself my daughters would.
Yeah, I forgot about those obnoxious foil packets. The only purpose I have for them is to put them in my gym bag, but then it's just about convenience and giving me a lighter load to shlep. To my mind, if you're going to advertise deluxe samples, those single-use packets aren't going to cut it. I'd want somethinig I can try at my leisure for more than a hurried shower.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On that note the Stila "smokey eye" sample aka a little bit of make up on a card, really got to me. What kind of crap was THAT? 

And yeah, I love getting perfume, as long as it is a sample with a sprayer on it! 
 On a card? What the heck was that???

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On a card? What the heck was that???
YEAH EXACTLY. I think they sent them out in March and April. It was TERRIBLE.

I've been pretty happy with my subs so far. What I don't want is foil packets, eye shadow card, and single use amounts of product in tubes disguised as a deluxe sample. Aside from that, I expect tons of skincare with makeup as more of a bonus. I would certainly be into a makeup sub, but I would expect it to be much more expensive than $10

I agree... I want to see LESS little foil packets and tiny perfume vials. I dropped Beauty Army because if I even selected Fragrance as part of my beauty profile, I kid you not... 5 of the 9 products I got to choose from were perfume vials or sample fragrance pads. So I had to leave Fragrance unchecked and didn't get to get any perfume samples at all. This box that's on its way is my last box and it's got a full sized NYX mascara, a set of eye cooler things, and the rest are all pretty much one time use samples so I'm not extremely impressed. I was disappointed with my last BB... well, the Stila waterproof eyeliner is nice and the Bvlgari perfume sample but other than that... it was a miss for me. The Ojon conditioner is okay but I could do without the little blank notecard, the hair tie that looks like wide panty elastic tied in a knot (and the ends are frayed like kids made it in craft time), and the DR. Jart BB cream tube which was empty! I had enough come out to swatch on the back of my hand and that was it! I think these companies really need to somehow check what they're sending out because they're going to have to take the fall rather than the companies sending them this stuff! I'd like to see more deluxe sized samples, especially with perfume (like the Victoria's Secret Mini sizes), and samples that you can get more than one use out of so you get the full effect of the product. Sometimes, one time of using something just isn't enough. I also like getting a wide range of products... one makeup, one fragrance, one skincare, one haircare, one lifestyle, a nail polish, etc... Or... maybe they can set something up where they have different boxes but you get to choose each month if you want a fragrance box, a makeup box, a skincare box, a haircare box, etc. Maybe that's too difficult for a company to do but it's not a bad concept idea.

I definitely agree with a lot of the comments so far. I would love for a bit more makeup and less skincare, or just more balance in general. I don't mind any other samples. I love the nail polish and hair products and even the lifestyle products as long as they're actual products (like the laundry detergent or tea or chocolate...heck, even the hair tye was okay) and not some piece of paper that I could have printed from my computer. Perfume samples are even fine as long as they have a spray top, because if they don't they'll go unused. The thing with skincare is that it isn't something anyone should be switching up every month. Trying out a different mascara every week is one thing, but constantly changing skincare products is bound to not have a good outcome, especially for people with sensitive skin. I mean I use what works for me and stick to it...its not something I like to mess around with. But I'll even take skincare as long as its not more often than other products (I could always trade or use them for travel). What pisses me off are the one-time use samples, like my basically empty Dr. Jart BB Cream. If they're saying that they're sending out "deluxe sized" samples, then that shouldn't be foil packets or one time use samples. I'll gladly take them as an "extra" but if its something I could pick up for free elsewhere then I don't understand why I should be paying for it.

I also think they should keep the number of samples in each box more consistent if possible (I know that may be tricky if you're trying to make sure that the values match). I just don't think its fair if one person gets a box where they're able to leave feedback for 7 items, and someone else can only leave feedback for 4. I think balance all-around is the key!

Re: Skincare routine-

I find that things stop working with me after a while. If I don't switch up, my skin gets "used" to something pretty quickly and it does not work!

I wish things didn't seem to "make the rounds" quite so much. Some brands seem to show up everywhere!

Quality control, please!!! Two months in a row I received Look Bags that were full of broken containers or jars with loose tops so the contents got all over everything. Once it got into the nail polish caps and just stuck there like glue. I ended up sending a rather curt email to Timothy after the second, who went above and beyond in replacing. And once Birchbox sent a vial of facial oil which I turned out to like once it was replaced--there was a defect in the cap and it leaked out so badly it got into the little tube of Jouer gloss and actually affected the taste. I want to see these companies be a little more careful in their packing, and if possible some QC of the actual products. (I didn't receive a tube of Dr. Jart, but I think I would have gone batpucky if it had come to me empty.)

Originally Posted by Angie Tacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wish things didn't seem to "make the rounds" quite so much. Some brands seem to show up everywhere!
You mean you got 4 things of Alterna products too??? I've been seeing nothing but Alterna the past two months. Not that it's bad or anything but it's like turning on the radio and every station is playing Justin Bieber--enough!!!

Here's what I would like to get from my subs:

• Decent sized samples that are truly deluxe. No foil packets, and no little tubes that have about as much in them as a packet. I want to get enough product to see how it works for me.
  • A balanced box. What this means to me is something makeup, nail, hair, skin, tools, etc. None of this business of getting a ton of different skincare items and a coaster.
  • Products that I wouldn't typically try on my own and brands I'm less familiar with. 
  • With subs like Birchbox that have a lot of variety, less discrepancies between boxes. That means they're much closer as far as monetary value of the boxes and the number of samples available to review for points. 

That's just my take on it. 

I only got two Alterna, but I got Wen, Wen, Wen (which ended up making my head itch) and it seems like Weleda was flooding the world with nearly expired stuff! And I know I was seeing the same stuff in other people's boxes from all over!

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You mean you got 4 things of Alterna products too??? I've been seeing nothing but Alterna the past two months. Not that it's bad or anything but it's like turning on the radio and every station is playing Justin Bieber--enough!!!

Originally Posted by Angie Tacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I only got two Alterna, but I got Wen, Wen, Wen (which ended up making my head itch) and it seems like Weleda was flooding the world with nearly expired stuff! And I know I was seeing the same stuff in other people's boxes from all over!
Six Alterna, for me actually--two were freebies with a couple of Beauty Bar orders. I haven't seen any Wen, and I'm kind of glad for it because I don't trust it. I've heard stories about different formulations you get depending on whether you buy it from the website, infomercial of home-shopping channels. But indeed, I did see the Weleda for a couple of months! I was surprised at the expiration date of one, because Weleda usually has a fairly decent shelf life.

I wish Birchbox wouldn't send out so many variations on their boxes.  I'd like to see 10 different boxes or less.  I guess maybe they do so many boxes because they have a ton of subscribers and only so much product......but Glossybox pulled it off and I loved that we didn't have to suffer through box envy with our Glossyboxes! 

I also hope to NEVER receive that Fashion Tape, those GIANT ugly barrettes, and those horrible coasters.  I'd rather have a zillion packs of tea than any of that crap.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I know what you mean. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm not subbed to beauty boxes to receive coasters or barrettes. I think at this rate, if I wind up canceling everything else, Glossybox will survive the cut. I really was impressed with my box this month. I hope they keep it up! 

I'm inclined to agree. I've also seen them give out shampoo samples without conditioner. It's kind of hard to use one without the other for me. I'd rather see them together. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's what I would like to get from my subs:

• Decent sized samples that are truly deluxe. No foil packets, and no little tubes that have about as much in them as a packet. I want to get enough product to see how it works for me.
  • A balanced box. What this means to me is something makeup, nail, hair, skin, tools, etc. None of this business of getting a ton of different skincare items and a coaster.
  • Products that I wouldn't typically try on my own and brands I'm less familiar with. 
  • With subs like Birchbox that have a lot of variety, less discrepancies between boxes. That means they're much closer as far as monetary value of the boxes and the number of samples available to review for points. 

That's just my take on it. 

Originally Posted by Kittables /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm inclined to agree. I've also seen them give out shampoo samples without conditioner. It's kind of hard to use one without the other for me. I'd rather see them together. 
I HATE that. I feel like shampoo and conditioner are a system, and they go together. It was weird to me to just get one little ojon shampoo in my BB last month. 

Latest posts

Back