What do you want to be when you grow up?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was the question that everyone always asks when you are in school. Now that I finally have my degree, I find it very diffucult to answer that question. I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I thought that getting my degree would help me "choose" the right career path but now I feel like I am still unsure of what I want to do. When I was younger and people asked me what I wanteed to do, here is what I told them:

Age 7 - Wanted to be a cocktail waitress/single mom. I used to watch this show in Mexico that was about a cocktail waitress/single mom and she was very successful and beautiful. So that is what I wanted to be and I told anyone who asked me. That is when my parents started to monitor a bit closer what it was that I was watching on TV.
icon_rolleyes.gif

During my high school years, I thought I wanted to be an CPA but I don't know if I could handle being in a cubicle/office all day long. So now, I am 25 and no clue what I want to be. I have been working in the banking world for 6 years and I don't know if that is what I want to continue doing.

So.....What do you want to be when you grow up?

that´s an interesting thread. let´s see.....

age 3: I wanted to be a princess *lol*

age 6: I wanted to be a veterinarian like my dad.

age17: I wanted to be a psychologist and almost enrolled for psychology in College

age 18: I changed my mind and enrolled in Med School. I don´t know exactly what I wanna be when I´m done. maybe a cardiologist or dermatologist

I never wanted to be anything fun...

Age 5 - I wanted to be a lawyer

Age 8 - My teacher let us mix some chemicals so I wanted to be a chemist. I made my parents buy me a chemistry set. I'm sure they thought I was gonna be really cool when I got older...

Age 9 - back to being a lawyer

Age 18 - for about a month, I wanted to be a psychologist...then back to lawyer

Age 21 - I realized that while I had spent my whole life convinced that I would be a lawyer, the last thing on earth that I wanted to do was go to law school and be a lawyer!

Age 22 - became a teacher, now I'm interested in educational administration..or maybe law school.

So yeah I still don't really know what I'm gonna be when I grow up
icon_biggrin.gif

i changed what i wanted to be when i changed subjects in school LOL

archaeologist, marine biologist, lawyer, doctor, makeup artist, everything you could imagine!

i'm finally set on dermatology. well, not finally, because in 2 years, i might change my mind...

All through childhood I wanted to be a paleontologist because I loved dinosaurs! lol

When I got to junior high and early high school and started taking art classes, and I wanted to be an artist ... but after a few years I realized that while I was good enough to place at small local art shows, I wasn't good enough to make a living at it!

The last two years or so of high school I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I wanted to do something that dealt with math or science since I knew those were my strong points and I enjoyed those subjects. (My brain has always been torn between logic and art, and most tests say I am just as much left-brained as I am right-brained!) When I signed up for college I debated between studying Computer Science (CS) or Chemistry, and I finally choose CS but was thinking at the time that I could always change my major if I didn't like it. However I liked CS more with each class I took, and here I am getting my Masters in it!

After I graduate (in December, woohoo!) I want to find some sort of job as a software developer or something where I can sit around and write computer programs all day.
smile.gif
After a few years of that, if we can afford it I want to quit my job and start raising babies! lol

Fun thread! I've pretty much always wanted to be the same thing though...

Age 5: Wanted to be an attorney and go to Harvard.

Age 18: Changed my mind--- maybe marketing b/c the legal field was too saturated.

Age 19: Wanted to be an attorney again... passed on the Harvard thing though.

Age 24 to present: Want to be housewife. Will be attorney if I HAVE to.
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by wongy74 Fun thread! I've pretty much always wanted to be the same thing though...
Age 5: Wanted to be an attorney and go to Harvard.

Age 18: Changed my mind--- maybe marketing b/c the legal field was too saturated.

Age 19: Wanted to be an attorney again... passed on the Harvard thing though.

Age 24 to present: Want to be housewife. Will be attorney if I HAVE to.
icon_lol.gif

you already wanted to be an attorney when you were five?? wow, very young to be that determined!! it´s nothing you hear from a five year old every day *g*

i still don't know what i want to be when i grow up. Independantly wealthy? lol i'd like to continue working with kids like i do now. so maybe i would just continue to watch kids maybe have a little in home day care or something. after i get married and have afew kids of my own, and that would help so i can be a stay at home mom. I'd like to be there for my kids if and when i have them.

I still haven't a clue about what I want to be when I grow up & I'm almost 32. I thought I wanted to be a teacher, nurse or flight attendant in grade school; a business/accounting major in high school; an attorney in college.

Currently, I'm clueless & know that I want to do something that's rewarding & will make me happy.
redface.gif

I know... I'm weird! May have been tv or something, but I can't remember.

Originally Posted by Arielle you already wanted to be an attorney when you were five?? wow, very young to be that determined!! it´s nothing you hear from a five year old every day *g*

Originally Posted by keaLoha Currently, I'm clueless & know that I want to do something that's rewarding & will make me happy.
redface.gif
Thank you! That is exctly what I want. Now what that means remains a mystery to me.

Originally Posted by Marisol Age 7 - Wanted to be a cocktail waitress/single mom. I used to watch this show in Mexico that was about a cocktail waitress/single mom and she was very successful and beautiful. So that is what I wanted to be and I told anyone who asked me. That is when my parents started to monitor a bit closer what it was that I was watching on TV.
icon_rolleyes.gif

OMG Marisol! I woke up my bf from LOL'ing at this one!
icon_lol.gif
I'm still cracking up - I have to stop reading it! LOL
I wanted to be so many different things... I wanted to be a Vet, but then I realized that I'd be bawling my eyes out if I had to put an animal to sleep - so that was out. Then I was dead set on joining the Air Force - wanted to be a pilot and fly fighter jets and bombers. Now I've never had one minute of flight training, and my friend who is in the AF told me the reality of me actually being able to fly & how slim it was... and since thats the reason I wanted to join... I crossed that off the list. Then I went to Cosmetology school, and did hair, nails, & makeup for a few years - and thought I'd just open up my own salon one day. But that was put on hold when I got an offer for a regular 9-5 job with better pay than I was getting at the salon, shorter hours, and benefits... so i did that... still doing the office thing (working at an Insurance agency now) and although they eventually want me to move up and do different things in the company (& make more $) I still have that salon dream... so who knows! LOL Maybe I'll just win lotto and can have my salon & just lie around on the beach all day until I feel like doing a haircut! LOL Here's to wishing!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Marisol I still laugh about it too. My mom doesn't but I do!
icon_twisted.gif
I can't read it... lol Because then I picture you actually telling people this... I start laughing... I wake up Leo... and then he yells at me to "get off the damn computer!" LOL But that is too funny!
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I can't read it... lol Because then I picture you actually telling people this... I start laughing... I wake up Leo... and then he yells at me to "get off the damn computer!" LOL But that is too funny!
icon_lol.gif
My mom used to get so mad because I would tell everyone. WHat is even worse is that it was from one of those cheesy Telemundo spanish soap operas. Can you imagine what that woman would have looked like? The eighties hair, the blue eye shadow and skimpy clothes. Yikes!

Originally Posted by Marisol My mom used to get so mad because I would tell everyone. WHat is even worse is that it was from one of those cheesy Telemundo spanish soap operas. Can you imagine what that woman would have looked like? The eighties hair, the blue eye shadow and skimpy clothes. Yikes! Oh boy! You'd have made your mother proud in that getup! LMAO!
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by Marisol Thank you! That is exctly what I want. Now what that means remains a mystery to me. Same here. I've signed up to volunteer @ the Alzheimer's Association. Hopefully, I'll gain a lot from it & apply it to my Grandmother.

Originally Posted by Marisol

This was the question that everyone always asks when you are in school. Now that I finally have my degree, I find it very diffucult to answer that question. I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I thought that getting my degree would help me "choose" the right career path but now I feel like I am still unsure of what I want to do. When I was younger and people asked me what I wanteed to do, here is what I told them:
Age 7 - Wanted to be a cocktail waitress/single mom. I used to watch this show in Mexico that was about a cocktail waitress/single mom and she was very successful and beautiful. So that is what I wanted to be and I told anyone who asked me. That is when my parents started to monitor a bit closer what it was that I was watching on TV.
icon_rolleyes.gif

During my high school years, I thought I wanted to be an CPA but I don't know if I could handle being in a cubicle/office all day long. So now, I am 25 and no clue what I want to be. I have been working in the banking world for 6 years and I don't know if that is what I want to continue doing.

So.....What do you want to be when you grow up?

I always wanted to be a middle aged graying guy owning a Makeup website....what's up with that? lol

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) I always wanted to be a middle aged graying guy owning a Makeup website....what's up with that? lol LMAO!!!!!
icon_lol.gif
You mean to tell me that it WASN'T your dream!!!??? LMAO!

That's a tough question for a lot of people I think. You go through college thinking that you are going to find something but it doesn't happen. I just happened to get into the banking industry (mortgages) and I like it. I wouldn't want to do anything else. I didn't really pick it, it just happened. I've always been a math person and interested in stocks and markets so I guess it was a natural thing. Maybe think of something that you really like to do, something that you feel is natural to you and really interests you and see if you could find a job to match it.

Latest posts

Back