what exactly does washing your face with a brush do for you?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i've heard of Clarisonic products but never really gave it much thought. then a few days ago i ordered a "facial brush" (it wasn't even a planned purchase, i was just helping a friend). it looks like this:

it was from http://online.beautyshop.oriflame.nl/products/product-detail.jhtml?prodCode=9507 and it's dirt cheap (€1.95). i figured since i'm lazy this would make washing my face faster. i use Biotherm Biopur Pore Reducer Gentle Purifying Gel and never got bubbles out of it. then i started using a brush and bubbles came out of it.   i used the brush (the cheap one, not the Clarsonic) for the first time today, and i can't really describe what happened, but let's just say that my face looked more "porcelain"? 
blink.gif
 am i making sense? i know that sounds weird, but that is what it looked like.   is this the same thing as using Clarisonic products? and how hard are Clarisonic brushes? they look kind of stiff. does it hurt? because when i saw the brush i bought, i thought it would be stiff, but then when it came in the mail it was very soft.   i'm also wondering, if i do decide to continue washing my face with a brush, is it like a toothbrush you have to replace every once in a while? how often should i buy a new one?   if i like how this small brush works out for me, i MIGHT invest in a Clarisonic. MAAAAAYBE. it looks expensive. how often do i have to replace Clarisonic brushes?

Hi!

I have had my Clarisonic for over 1 year now and I think I can answer to some of your questions. The brush of the Clarisonic vibrates and does not turn so it is not the same as using a manual brush, about  the stiffness there are several kind of brushes where the softest is the one with the blue base (for sensitive skin) and the hardest is the one with the blue bristles in the middle (pore cleansing). I have been using the one for sensitive skin in winter and the one for delicate skin (grey base) in spring/summer and I could use it even twice a day without problems. They recommed to exchange the brush every 3 months and I have to agree with that, those few times when I used a brush for longer the cleansing effect seemed worse.

My skin is not particularly problematic, I get dry patches in winter but I have few impurities. What I noticed since I use the Clarisonic is that my skin stays clear longer between facials and I hardly ever get pimples (which before used to occur around the time of the month). The Clarisonic also removes makeup much better and perhaps that is what contributes to the improved skin tone/texture.

I am very satisfied with my Clarisonic and I would not esitate one second to buy a new one if this would stop working.

I know it is a big investment and you have to be sure you would use it on a dayly basis before buying it but I have only positive things to say about it.

I just recently picked up a Clarisonic thru Craigs List. It didn't come with the brush head so I picked a sensitive one at Sephora. It cleans well but I can see it over stripping. I think I can feel a slight burning after I used it. It feels good so I think i've used it for too long. I've only used it 2x so far.

I ordered my Clarisonic from QVC awhile back and got it on Easy Pay.  I love it!  I wear heavy sunblock in the summer when I go to the beach and the Clarisonic really helps me get that thick sunblock off and makes my face feel so clean.  I usually only use mine once a day (before bed) because I have sensitive & dry skin and don't want to over do it.  I do think the brushes are a rip off, though. 

I use oil to clean my face to remove my make up and a microfiber cloth before I use a cleanser. Maybe you can try using olive oil to remove the sunscreen. It'll help your dry skin.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use oil to clean my face to remove my make up and a microfiber cloth before I use a cleanser. Maybe you can try using olive oil to remove the sunscreen. It'll help your dry skin.
I've been using Maracuja Oil for a few weeks now and it's helped a lot with my dry skin.  I've never thought of using oil to clean my face with, though.  I'll have to give it a try.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Maracuja oil sounds expensive. Just some pure or virgin olive oil or sweet almond oil or clean. They are cheap and readily available. It's called the Oil Cleansing Method or OCM and I've been doing this for over 2 yrs now. It has helped normalize my skin. I had dry skin after I washed which turned oily during the day...vicious cycle. I got my Clarisonic for $90 on craigslist.

Latest posts

Back