what is the look for this season?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is the dewy face in or a matte one? I see some stars with make up where their face is dewy and it looks nice, but i can't stand doing that. I have to make my face matte or otherwise i feel shiny and oily.

I'm the same way. I can't stand my face dewy so I always go for the matte look. Dewy makeup is pretty, especially on celebrities, but I just don't like it on me. I think the looks is still dewy this season.

I don't like dewy either but then I don't like matte either.I look for something in the middle

Dewy doesn't seem to work for me. I don't have huge pores, either, but for some reason, it just doesn't look good on me. Oh, how I wish it would! I've tried multiple highlighters, and can't find anything shimmery that looks good. However, I RAVE for BeneFit's Dandelion! This is just a great highlighter, though, for me - not really a dewy look. It wakes up my face when I use it all over my face as a brightening powder. Don't be afraid to use it like that and not just as a blush!
wink.gif

Does anyone remember demi-matte makeup? I don't think I've seen a foundation fall under that heading in a long time. I believe Estee Lauder carried a "demi matte" for awhile. I think now demi-matte and satin might be considered the same thing. I think I prefer a satin look...I really dislike powder, I immediately feel like my face can't breathe and most matte full makeups leave me feeling the same way. Then, sheer dewy makeups or too much highlighter only looks good when I'm standing alllllllll the way across the bathroom, and on closer examination looks sort of gunky and dirty. So, I'm a satin look kind of girl but I think the dewy look is going to continue to be popular right through the season. In my Sephora catalog, though, they pictured the "rich girl" look, which I'm hoping will gain some popularity.

Matte for me too...Everytime I try to do a dewy look on myself and I take a pic, I look like I'm sweating
icon_rolleyes.gif

what's a satin finish? i understand matte and glowy. but not satin. lol

It's the compromise between a sheer and matte finish. It's still natural looking, but generally offering medium coverage. It's works best for me, because I have combination skin.

I'm actually looking for a good new satin makeup...I tried Lorac's satin finish makeup, but didn't care for it, and don't know if I really felt it was a satin.

Vincent Longo has one out called Dew Finish, but looks like it has all the properties of a satin finish, so I think I'll try that one next.

I do love the dewy look, although I am not sure if I know how to do it. Most of the time I go for the matte look b/c I don't want to look too greasy. But when I use s/f or ccb I certainly have a dewy look and it's pretty nice.

Originally Posted by Liz what's a satin finish? i understand matte and glowy. but not satin. lol I think I prefer satin as well! My skin isn't nice enough to pull off straight glowy foundation, since I really think that kind of finish looks best on smooth, clear skin. And matte, well, I am a horrible blender and have tried it, and it looks masky and awful! Maybe if I played around with it more (I was experimenting with my mom's EL DoubleMatte) it would look good, but oh well.
Liz, I think of satin as somewhere in the middle of matte and glowy. It's not flat, but you don't look shiny. It looks the most like bare skin to me. I like my covergirl advanced radiance a lot for this (that name is misleading, it really isn't glowy at all, definitely more of a satin finish on me over my moisturizer)

I always go for a matte finish, because no matter what finish my mu starts out with, my oily skin makes it look shiny before long anyway! Using matte makeup just delays how long it takes for it to look shiny
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Liz so would chantecaille's future skin be satin?? I dunno...but I looked at it on Bliss and it looks super luxurious....so I really want to try it now. Go figure.

I like my face matte, but dewy in some places
icon_cheesygrin.gif
When I do my foundation and use powder over, I won't put powder all over. I leave the upper cheekbones and over the eyebrow kinda glisteny. And then of course I use Mac's Shimpange which gives a fake glow
smile.gif

I like a matte or satin finish but I have been using the smashbox highlighters as blush for a little color and glow durring the day on my cheeks. I have never used a cream blush before though, so I don't know if its really a highliter or just a shimmery cream blush.

Latest posts

Back