What keeps your skin clear?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As of lately, I've been trying to keep my skin clear without the use of oral antibiotics from my derm. So far, what's working for me is...

- aspirin mask

- grapeseed oil

I'd love to get more recs!

best thing for me is diet--lots of fruits, vegetables & PLENTY of water.

as for skin care, i've found that masking 2x/week, home microdermabrasion 1x/week & Perricone have helped quite a bit.

most of all, get an ample amount of sleep (difficult to do sometimes) but it really helps.

I have found it impossible to keep my skin clear, as i always get the same spots at the same place every month. I would love to know more about the asprin mask,how does it work and how do you prepare it? Thanks for the tip, i will try it.

I use the Murad Acne Complex kit, Differin Gel, and DermaNew microdermabrasion kit (every so often) seems to keep it much better than it was in the past... I rarely get breakouts now... (only during THAT time of the month - when it is impossible to keep them away, no matter what I use!)
icon_rolleyes.gif

The aspirin mask is great! It's supposed to contain BHA.

I dissolve 5-6 aspirin in the palm of my hand, then apply to my face. Leave on for 5-10 minutes. I personally exfoliate with the grainy bits, then rinse it off. It's really simple! I also usually mix it with aloe, but that's a personal preference.

HTHS!

I use prescription creams for my face but when my prescriptions run out I'd like to switch to over the counter stuff -- my skin is still very oily and shiny but I have a lot less clogged pores than I used to so I'm hoping I can save some money on OTC stuff! (And I've never had true acne so I think it's just a matter of controling the oil and keeping my skin clean.)

The only non-prescription thing I do (recommended by my dermatologist) is exfoliate by washing my face with a BufPuf brand sponge and Cetaphil soap. (He also recommended Dove soap if my face ever gets a little dry.) I don't know how well it works but it sure makes my face feel clean when I'm done!
smile.gif

Well i'm an advocate of LUSH products! Can't get enough of them.

I used to have really bad spots and greasy skin with shine all day (still have greasy skin but with a less noticeable shine to it during the day) My routine is:

AM:

Herbalism Face Wash

Coalface Soap

Tea Tree Water

Enzymion moisturiser

PM:

Fresh Farmacy Soap

Tea Tree Water

Once a week i'll use Sweet Japanese Girl facial bar which is a mixture of oils that you melt onto the skin, massage in, leave for a few minutes and then wipe away using hot water (as hot as you can stand) and a cotton pad. Also when i feel the need to have a good scrub, i use Angels on Bare Skin facial exfoliator which gets rid of every last bit of grime.

I love using lush products: because they're so natural, they leave my skin feeling so clean and i'm not worried about any chemicals damaging my skin.

For occasional breakouts I use Fanie Hot Dot or Mario Badescu Healing Lotion (only to be used at night time) and both work great. I also drink a lot of water and try to eat organic foods. I've yet to dry the aspirin mask but it sounds great for keeping pores clean. I get congested pores easily. I've found out in the past couple of years that less is more. I don't use as many products as I used to. I just stick to the basics and my skin seems to like it. I think I was overworking my skin before with too many different products.

Water is the only way of keeping my skin clear.. If i stop having my 2litres a day, you can be sure a whopper of a spot appears the next day! Water, water, water, i can't stress it enough
biggrin.gif

teresa tapp's skin brushing (body & face), her alfalfa caps, lots of water, little to no flour/sugar (though chocolate by itself, that is, not cookies or cake w/chocolate, only dark & good quality stuff), no fried & less caffeine. also regular workouts, breathing & facial exercises. oh & fanie, microdermabrasion (make my own scrubs) & um, great sex.

I have always heard that studies have yet to prove a link between what you eat and acne ... however my dermatologist said that if you eat greasy foods it is easy to get grease on your fingers and then accidently touch your face, spreading that grease to your skin. (So he said to wash your face after every time you eat greasy food .. um yeah I don't do that.)

However, exercise and limiting your intake of white flour (whole wheat products are still important though), sugar, fried foods, and caffiene obviously have other health benefits so it never hurts!
smile.gif

I posted another thread here about "Stuff I've used"... but anyway, I noticed products that contain Triclosan work best for adult acne. The only cleanser I've found out there with this ingredient is Acnopur by Biotherm. It's the best acne cleanser for clearing up PMS breakouts as far as I've seen. You can ask them for a sample, they have some available at Macy's. The tube lasted me 8 months.

You're killing me with the raves for this stuff!
icon_wink.gif
I guess I'll eventually have to break down and get it...

Well, the Aspirin Mask didn't do anything for me except make me sneeze!

What works for me is:

Caudalie Instant Foaming Cleanser

Caudalie C20 Grape-Seed Cream (day)

For night treatments, I alternate between:

Caudalie Total Night Care,

Cellex-C New Complexion Cream,

and

Dr. Brandt Pore Effect

I use Dr. Brandt's Microdermabrasion in a Jar every 2-3 days for exfoliation. Dermanew didn't work for me.

For masking, I use:

Caudalie Purifying Grape-Seed Mask,

and

DDF Sulfur Therapeutic Mask

The DDF mask doubles as an overnight spot treatment.

I've also been drinking a lot of loose leaf red teas lately. Red tea has more antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals in it than green tea. It's really been helping my skin.

Originally Posted by Reija /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've found out in the past couple of years that less is more. I don't use as many products as I used to. I just stick to the basics and my skin seems to like it. I think I was overworking my skin before with too many different products. I completely agree with you! I was using the aspirin mask, and a peel mask once a week and for some reason got a huge rash/allergic reaction on my cheek. It was red and inflamed so obv. I had to go to the hosp. THey prescribed an anti-biotic and I stopped using tons of products and everything is ok now! Thank goodness!

Latest posts

Back