What m/u line do you actually like, but wouldn't admit ?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You know, the ones that never get any discussion on the boards. Or better yet, get lots of negative comments "the packaging is old-fashioned;" "it has an old-lady fragrance. "(whatever that is) What do you like about them? And why do you think they don't get much attention or better reviews?

I like Estee Lauders Foundation (Doublewear), Loose Powder (Lucidity) and their blushes (Blush All Day) but other than that, i hate their products and they are kinda known for being an old-fashioned brand.. Although saying that i think Clinique, Elizabeth Arden etc.. are way worse!

umm. some of the lancome stuff looks nice, but i don't have any of it. but i know people hate lancome
icon_redface.gif

i don't hear a lot of hype about shisheido, but some of their stuff is nice too. i was testing a bunch of their stuff the other weekend.

i have a couple of things from flirt! cosmetics. i don't hear much about them because they're exclusive to kohl's department stores. but i like them. they're a mix of NARS and MAC lol.

Hmm.. I have to agree with you Laura: I like some EL products, especially their lipsticks ("Candy" I think), but it is known as sort of an old fashioned, 'granny' brand... overpriced too!
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by Liz umm. some of the lancome stuff looks nice, but i don't have any of it. but i know people hate lancome
icon_redface.gif
really? I didn't realize it... I like some lancome products (although most of them are overpriced). anyway, I dont get strong dislikes towards some companies - all of them have some hits and some misses. I don't see why we have to generalize like that
smile.gif

I dont think Tina Earnshaw has EVER been mentioned. That is a great line. Also, Too Faced isnt talked about very much but I think everyone on this board knows that I'm a Too Faced 'ho (That's bad... I know I shouldnt have put it like that, but I couldnt resist!!!)
icon_cheesygrin.gif
eek.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif

E.L.F. in spite of a few less than spectacular products

and Mary Kay skin care

Lancome, my one Lancome lipstick totally blows me away every time I wear it

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl E.L.F. in spite of a few less than spectacular products and Mary Kay skin care

Lancome, my one Lancome lipstick totally blows me away every time I wear it

Mary Kate and Ashley has some lipglosses that I love (the liptints), but that is all I have tried from them...
CoverGirl gets a lot of smack, but I like the new truBlend pressed powder and I just bought the advanced radiance compact, so we'll see how that goes...

Originally Posted by anne7 CoverGirl gets a lot of smack, but I like the new truBlend pressed powder and I just bought the advanced radiance compact, so we'll see how that goes... I agree
smile.gif
this powder is absolutly amazing!

Originally Posted by vanilla_sky I agree
smile.gif
this powder is absolutly amazing! I think so, too! I love it to finish off or just a sheer coverage. I think a lot of people don't want to try it because CoverGirl still has the stigma of the nasty Noxzema smell and cakey makeups (Clean makeup), but their new stuff that I have tried doesn't have a scent and is very lightweight. Paula Begoun actually compared this powder to Estee Lauder's AeroMatte in terms of feel and coverage. (www.cosmeticscop.com) I think she can be a bit maniacal with her vendetta against glowy or shimmery products, but I generally think she knows what she's talking about.

Originally Posted by LindaA You know, the ones that never get any discussion on the boards. Or better yet, get lots of negative comments "the packaging is old-fashioned;" "it has an old-lady fragrance. "(whatever that is) What do you like about them? And why do you think they don't get much attention or better reviews? I like Wet N Wild lip liners a lot, and some NYC eyeliners and eyeshadows, but they're really cheapo brands, so I think that's why not a lot of people have tried them.

I haven't tried CG's truBlend powder, but I do use their Professional Loose Powder, and it is THE only powder I've found that keeps my oily skin matte! And I've tried department store and drugstore brands!

I also have several L'Oreal products, I don't know if they have that bad of a reputation, but I do see a lot of older women shopping in the L'Oreal section at Wal-Mart, lol

Originally Posted by anne7 I think so, too! I love it to finish off or just a sheer coverage. I think a lot of people don't want to try it because CoverGirl still has the stigma of the nasty Noxzema smell and cakey makeups (Clean makeup), but their new stuff that I have tried doesn't have a scent and is very lightweight. Paula Begoun actually compared this powder to Estee Lauder's AeroMatte in terms of feel and coverage. (www.cosmeticscop.com) I think she can be a bit maniacal with her vendetta against glowy or shimmery products, but I generally think she knows what she's talking about. So you guys really like this powder? I was thinking of trying it, now I think I definitely will, the only thing is, i don't really like using pressed powder, and I haven't used any for a while...
How do you guys use it? I would probably use it with a powder brush and just use it similar to a loose powder.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by MACGoddess So you guys really like this powder? I was thinking of trying it, now I think I definitely will, the only thing is, i don't really like using pressed powder, and I haven't used any for a while...
How do you guys use it? I would probably use it with a powder brush and just use it similar to a loose powder.
icon_rolleyes.gif

That's how I use it, just a brush...I hate those cheesy powder puffs they include, they make it look cakey and thick. I sometimes use a retractable one that can make a makeshift kabuki, and buff it on that way.

Originally Posted by MACGoddess So you guys really like this powder? I was thinking of trying it, now I think I definitely will, the only thing is, i don't really like using pressed powder, and I haven't used any for a while...
icon_rolleyes.gif

it is definitely worth try! I just carry it in my purse and use it only for touch ups when i am outside the house.. when my face is shiny or doesnt look fresh, this powder makes me look fresher without the mask effect.at home, before i go out i only use loose powder (clinique or sally hansen corn silk
smile.gif
)

p.s. i use the thingy that comes with it to apply it, but i do not put on much product and I lightly press it to my face only in places that shine too much, like nose, chin, forehead and cheeks near nose.

I try hard not to be a " makeup snob" It's really a cost issue though, for me I get most of the MAC products for cheaper than the cost of the drugstore brands so it doesn't make sense to pay more for what is usually a less quality product. I say usually because that's not always true. There have been a few things at MAC that I personally thought were rubbish.

The thing about acquiring a good makeup kit for freelance work is that like it or not, women see the makeup I would attempt to use on them. They don't want to see a kit full of the drugstore stuff. They expect professional products to give professional results (even if it is a stereotype) I wouldn't get a good referral if that was what I used on them. Sad but true.

But if I happen to see or come across a product that works great in the drugstore,I'll be faithful to that product. A few of my favorite items are my Bonnebell liplix's,they give a nice sheen, a slight tint and they smell yummy, plus they're cheap! I also think Maybeline makes excellent mascara. I know everyone has tried the one in the pink and green tube but I happen to think the other ones are great too. They seem to know what they are doing with that! The thing that bugs me is that sometimes they have limited edition stuff and if you like it, you're shit-out-of-luck when you run out. I know MAC does the same thing but the thing I find is that with MAC, usually when they discontinue a color or product, they bring in something comparable to replace it.

I had the best cream blush from Loreal but it ran out and they never continued to sell it. I miss that blush!
icon_cry.gif

As far as Estee lauder, I try to give them a fair chance but I am just not all that impressed with the make up itself. I did some demo work for them several months back and had a hard time trying to find what I needed to do a good makeover. Some of their lipsticks are nice though. Funny how MAC, Estee Lauder and Stila are owned by the same company but are so different!

Originally Posted by gamaki I had the best cream blush from Loreal but it ran out and they never continued to sell it. I miss that blush!
icon_cry.gif
I also cannot see loreal blush delice nowhere anymore
frown.gif
do you know if the discontinued it??

Originally Posted by gamaki I They don't want to see a kit full of the drugstore stuff. They expect professional products to give professional results (even if it is a stereotype) I wouldn't get a good referral if that was what I used on them. Sad but true. Unfortunately, this is true
frown.gif
One time, I was doing this girl's face (for free as she is an acquaintance and I needed the practice) and she was asking about the products, and kept saying that department store products are the only way to get that pro look. YIKES!!!!

I'm really not embarrassed or ashamed of any brand. I have makeup that's super expensive and super cheap. I'll buy or test something depending on the color or consistency.

I've tried Wet and Wild lip liners (the infamous #666) and although the color is nice - its very rough/scratchy applying it as a lip-liner so I don't like it.

I've also tried Neutrogena and Sally Hansen makeup products and I have no problem with those either.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Never2muchMU I dont think Tina Earnshaw has EVER been mentioned. That is a great line. Also, Too Faced isnt talked about very much but I think everyone on this board knows that I'm a Too Faced 'ho (That's bad... I know I shouldnt have put it like that, but I couldnt resist!!!)
icon_cheesygrin.gif
eek.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE TOO FACED!!! Can't live without Absolutely Flawless!! LOL But, as for the brand i like and don't admit lol I have to say those little bon bons they add a quick shimmer for being 88 cents but don't last long.
icon_redface.gif

Latest posts

Back