What phrases really annoy you?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
there are some phrases that just really irritate me. One of them is 'on my behalf' - is there any phrase that just gets on your nerves?

hhaah

i understend it wrong

well

i hate when ppl use the term "and he was like" "and i was like whatever"

the phrase " oooohhhhhh.... izzit????" followed by a pout.. gross.. it's apprantly very popular in my school woth a bunch of girls.

next is " do me a fovor "

Well, for a while there, between BB8 and the people at work, the phrase "It is what it is," bothered the sh!t out of me! I've gotten over it...

John and his friend Dave have this damned phrase, "Are you snerious?!" from Little Nicky, or their variation of it, "Sneriously?!" Cyera picked up on it, and it bothers me to hell!

And though it's not a phrase, I can't stand the word "petted!" I realize it's in the English dictionary and it's a real word, but damned! I really hate it! Just say, "I pet the cat!" To me, "I petted the cat," sounds wacky!

oooh I thought of one! I know you guys might think differently, but the phrase 'he's out back' annoys me! he's out THE back, or AT the back, but definately not OUT BACK - outback is desert australia! LOL

I hate it when people use the word "literally" wrong and say something like "My head literally exploded when he said that" and I"m like uh no you mean "figuratively" otherwise you wouldn't be standing there talking to me!

One thing I say that I know gets on people's nerves is "to be honest" or "in all honesty" - I end up saying it in like every sentence haha!

The funniest thing someone else I've ever heard someone else say is "a pun on words" hahaha I say that all the time now, so funny.

Oh and I really hate twee sayings like "if you're down look up" and "Don't worry, be happy". I want to shake people that say that. That's probably mean haha.

A girl at my work says "or whatever" after everything - "So I was serving a customer or whatever", "So I was talking to my mom or whatever". Drives me nuts! I've taken to saying "or whatnot", and another co-worker is now saying "or what have you" in order to alleviate the annoyance "or whatever" causes!

I also hate: irregardless, deja vu all over again, and any double negative.

When my boss says " Just a Head's up". arg. It bothers me because it usually means we've done something wrong! LOL

It reeeeaaaalllllyyyyyy annoys me when my sassy teenage daughter says "Yeah, yeah, whatever" But I have turned it around when she askes me to buy her something and I say it - yeah, yeah, whatever!!!!!!

I can't stand "and whatnot" because this guy who thought he was cool and country in school said it all of the time after anything he said. It got to the point that whenever he said it everyone around him would just roll their eyes.

You know those questions people ask and you don't know whether to answer yes or no?? I'm trying to think of a good example but they confuse me too much so I don't know one, maybe something like- Did you not go out and do that? If I did do it, is it a yes answer or a no???!! It's the not that throws me off lol

Oh and when people say my bad, I say it sometimes too but if you think about it, it's pretty dumb.

"as it were" what the heck does this mean??? it sounds so pretentious and unnecessary. Also I can't stand it when people say "per" or "light at the end of the tunnel" or "roll with the punches". I like to just say what I mean without all of these ridiculous metaphors.

Also something else that bugs me is when people use the word had too much. Like "what had happened was..."

It's like obviously it occurred in the past because of the "ed," so had isn't necessary.

Originally Posted by kitsune89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't stand "and whatnot" because this guy who thought he was cool and country in school said it all of the time after anything he said. It got to the point that whenever he said it everyone around him would just roll their eyes.

I agree with you here
"and whatnot" cannot be more annoying. A buddyy friend told me that it's a sign of lack of education and/or speaking ability. LOL

My boss always says "you people" and it annoys the hell out of me because she's using it to talk down to us (my coworkers & I). Like, she can't be bothered to use our names.

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with you here
"and whatnot" cannot be more annoying. A buddyy friend told me that it's a sign of lack of education and/or speaking ability. LOL

I have to disagree with you, Tony. Depending on where you are in the country, it might be part of that region's vernacular. It is self-defeating to look down upon somebody just because of how low-class they are perceived to be when they speak. Somebody could be doing the same to you, and you might not even realize it.
Even Queen Elizabeth uses "whatnot" it in her speech, along with "or whatever".

But just to be clear about the word, in *classic* English, a "whatnot" is a backless shelf.

Gamers have weird phrases. If me and my brother are playing a game and he wins he'll always yell "You got Owned!", "Owned", or "You Got Pawned" I hate that mess with a passion!! And then instead of saying "the" they say "teh" (sounds like tay). So they'll say "This is teh awesome" And I just sit there and go "Please use some correct english!!"

Latest posts

Back