What to do and see in New Zealand?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope I posted this is the right section.

I am going to New Zealand in February. I will mainly be around Auckland and a couple days near Rotorua Lake. Just wondered if there was anybody on her from New Zealand or who has traveled there who can suggest things to see or do.

new zealand is beautiful! whatever you do, try to go to a traditional hungi (pit bbq) where they usually show traditional dancing, and definately see the hot springs at Rotorua!

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip, I'd love to see photos

Get up with Jobunny, she is from NZ. She's really, really nice and would obviously know a lot about NZ.

New Zealand is lovely, but also be wary of overly touristy things - unless that's what you're into of course!

Rotorua is great, the museum is really interesting - there's a basement area where the history of the hot springs/mud pools is explored with old wheelchairs and contraptions from when it first started. I do recommend the museum, I was there last time this year and I really enjoyed it. But then I'm a bit of a nerd
biggrin.gif

Word of warning though - Rotorua smells like sulphur! You get used to it within a few hours, but some people can't stand it. It smells like that because of the mud pools, geysers etc. Lake Rotorua (Maori pronunciation Ror-tor-roo-a, but ppl generally just say Roe-toe-roo-a!) is beautiful on a good day. Some motels have hot pools in the bathrooms too.

Auckland is NZ's biggest city, and there's lots to do there, but because it's bigger than other places it also takes time to get to where you want to go. I'm not all that familiar with Auckland city but if you let me know where exactly you're going to be I can give some more info
smile.gif

Here is my tentative itinerary. My friends there came up with this list.

Thursday 7th Feb

arrive 7.30am Airport

Pick up Ma/Pa

Off to the One-tree hill, Mt Eden and the Zoo. The museum (free) also for the view or/and a visit depending on time.

Check-in to Manukau motor lodge

Friday 8th

Mission bay and Kelly tarltons

5-6pm leave for Rotorua arrive approx 3 hours later

Saturday 9th

rotorua : Buried Village , Redwoods forest shop and walk, blue and green lakes.

hot pools and waimungu thermal valley

Sunday 10th

paradise valley park, kirau park (steam and mud pools free in centre of town)

Leave Rotorua late afternoon for Auckland

Monday 11th

Waitomo caves train trip. Drop off at station at @ 7.45am.

Tuesday 12th

Beach day : Port Waikato

@ 1 hours drive from Manukau

Wednesday 13th

Rangitoto explorer cruise. Downtown (including sky city tower). Devonport.

early evening visit (5-6pm) to maraetai and beachlands beaches.

Thursday 14th

departure time 2.56pm so will need to be at the airport around noon. Tatoo in the morning ? Some shoppping

Originally Posted by andrea90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Here is my tentative itinerary. My friends there came up with this list.
Thursday 7th Feb

arrive 7.30am Airport

Pick up Ma/Pa

Off to the One-tree hill, Mt Eden and the Zoo. The museum (free) also for the view or/and a visit depending on time.

Check-in to Manukau motor lodge

Friday 8th

Mission bay and Kelly tarltons

5-6pm leave for Rotorua arrive approx 3 hours later

Saturday 9th

rotorua : Buried Village , Redwoods forest shop and walk, blue and green lakes.

hot pools and waimungu thermal valley

Sunday 10th

paradise valley park, kirau park (steam and mud pools free in centre of town)

Leave Rotorua late afternoon for Auckland

Monday 11th

Waitomo caves train trip. Drop off at station at @ 7.45am.

Tuesday 12th

Beach day : Port Waikato

@ 1 hours drive from Manukau

Wednesday 13th

Rangitoto explorer cruise. Downtown (including sky city tower). Devonport.

early evening visit (5-6pm) to maraetai and beachlands beaches.

Thursday 14th

departure time 2.56pm so will need to be at the airport around noon. Tatoo in the morning ? Some shoppping

Wow you'll be busy!
I'm not a fan of Kelly Tarlton's personally (dolphins doing tricks etc) but I haven't been there in years and if it has an Antarctic centre then it may be worth checking out.

I've done the Redwoods forest walk (when we were there it was raining and there was a tour group of Japanese women all wearing high heels lol!), and it's lovely.

I'm not sure about Paradise Valley - I think that's a good one, we went to a similar one (we thought) that was really horrible, with the animals all caged and words spelled wrongly on signs and this swan that tried to kill a duck! Lol I actually cried, it was a really horrible experience. I think it was called Rainbow Springs? (due to the trout). So seriously avoid that place like the plague!

Waitomo caves are always lovely, with all the glow worms
smile.gif

What's "Tatoo in the morning"? - Getting a tattoo? Lol! Is it an exhibition or something?

Anyway I hope you have a wonderful time and don't wear yourself out because it looks like you have heaps planned
smile.gif

Lucky you!! I've never been there, but I've heard it's beautiful!! I'd love to see pics also!! Be safe and have fun!!

Tattoo in the morning is for me getting a Maori tribal tattoo. I am planning on taking tons of pics. I am so excited for the trip I can't wait.

Latest posts

Back