What to do for oily skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey dolls and gents.... i wanted to know what you would recommend for oily skin? half way thru the day i look like i've been playing in cooking oil... so unattractive... what products or home remedies do u suggest?

Don't use harsh cleansers or deprive your skin of moisturizer. Your skin may be producing more oil to compensate. In fact, some women here will recommend that you use the "Oil Cleansing Method". My skin is combo and seems drier as I age, so I haven't tried that and don't know how it works. You could easily do a search for it though. What I can tell you is that they are cleaning their skin...WITH OIL! Seems counter intuitive, no? But the extra oil means that their skin starts to produce less of it!

My favorite trick for the summer when I do get oily is to use Milk of Magnesia under my makeup, like a primer. You should get unflavored plain, (you'll smell cherry or mint all day otherwise. lol) and I get it at Dollar Tree for only $1, that way if it doesn't work for you, you haven't lost much. You use very little, enough to spread a thin layer over the oily areas (T zone for me) then let it dry. If you see a white cast, re-wet with water and spread out some more, let dry again. The put on your makeup the way you usually do.

You might want to try a mattifying primer, look for that in the name of the product, or look for clay or kaolin or bentonite (two types of clay) in the ingredients list. Sometimes just using any primer that works for you will be enough to keep the oilies from mixing with your foundation too.

And of course there is always bringing along a powder or oil absorbing sheets/tissues to touch up midday if nothing else works.

My routine:

Cetaphil facial cleansing bar

Boscia oil free mattifying daily moisturizer

Too faced primed and poreless primer

MUFE HD foundation

Mac blot powder

Clean and Clear blot sheets throughout the day.

So far for the summer this is actually working.  I'm testing the new Too faced Oil free primer meant for oily skin so I'll update later. 

Latest posts

Back