What to do in a Hair emergency

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What to Do in a Hair Emergency!

<!--BEGIN RIGHT-ALIGNED TABLE--><!--END RIGHT-ALIGNED TABLE--><!--BSHSTARTBODY-->By Lisa Kovalovich

More magazine

We'll accept the fact that spring rain is a necessity -- after all, we want to see those daffodils and hyacinths come up and feel that first spray of balmy drizzle. What we can't accept: the inevitable frizz, fuzz and flatness that spring rain brings. And we don't have to -- with the following plan, you can prevent those spring showers from bringing on the hair nasties: Strategy 1: Protect hair from moisture. Rainy and ultra-humid days are similar for one reason: moisture. With either condition, there's lots of moisture in the air. And many types of hair, most notably fine, wavy and curly, soak up moisture from the air. The problem: Moisture causes thin hair to fall flat and wavy or curly hair to puff up. To help prevent your hair from soaking up moisture, apply a humidity-protective gel to hair before styling. Gels made to resist humidity do so by sealing the cuticle, creating a barrier to moisture.

Strategy 2: Double up on protection. After styling and drying your hair, spray on a generous amount of non-sticky hairspray or styling spray. This will act as another barrier, making it tough for moisture to be absorbed. Tip: Try an aerosol spray, which does a better job of distributing a thin layer of hairspray than does a regular nozzle (which can spritz too much spray at a time, resulting in sticky chunks of hair as the day wears on).

Strategy 3: Work with your hair's texture. High-humidity days are not the ones to go against your hair's natural grain (by blowing curls straight, for instance, or curling fine, limp hair). When your hair absorbs moisture in the air, it tends to go back to its natural texture -- so all your drying or curling will be in vain. Instead, when the forecast calls for rain, maximize your natural texture by defining curls with gel-coated fingers, or pulling your fine hair back into a sleek ponytail. Trust us, you'll save yourself hair heartache.

Strategy 4: Avoid heavy moisturizing products. If hair is frizzy, it might seem like a great idea to use a hair cream or putty to smooth it down; after all, in dry winter weather, these products' emollient nature combats fuzz. But when humidity is high, moisturizing products can actually become greasy-looking and sticky on the hair. Instead, stick to alcohol-based products. Strategy 5: Have a contingency accessory plan. Even with the best strategies, there are inevitably going to be days when the rain and humidity wins. On such days, accessories play a major role. Our favorites: a large square scarf to tie around your head '60s-style, a fabulous jeweled ponytail holder to dress up a frizz-disguising ponytail and a wide-fabric headband worn close to the hairline.

Originally Posted by Diane To help prevent your hair from soaking up moisture, apply a humidity-protective gel to hair before styling. Gels made to resist humidity do so by sealing the cuticle, creating a barrier to moisture. I have never heard of a product like this, does anyone have any recommendations? It is humid all summer here in the midwest, and my wavy hair is noticeably more poofy and curly in the summer no matter how hard I try to blow-dry it straight!

Originally Posted by girl_geek I have never heard of a product like this, does anyone have any recommendations? It is humid all summer here in the midwest, and my wavy hair is noticeably more poofy and curly in the summer no matter how hard I try to blow-dry it straight! As far as a gel... I'd have to do some research for a good one... but for "after blow dry" sprays... I like StraightSexyHair's Smooth n' Seal... and Matrix Sleek.Look Lockdown spray
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 As far as a gel... I'd have to do some research for a good one... but for "after blow dry" sprays... I like StraightSexyHair's Smooth n' Seal... and Matrix Sleek.Look Lockdown spray
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Thanks! My hair's too long for a gel but I will look into those sprays!

Good tips! I agree with Angel, I also like some of the Matrix Sleek Look line, they have the right idea in that their products for "finishing" the style do not contain water. Finishing cremes or sprays that have water as the first few ingredients, will only make your hair revert back to it's natural state faster.

There have been some products coming out that promise to "refresh" your hair, without having to wash it. They claim to remove stale odors and excess oils as well as reactivate the styling products already in your hair. I don't know how well they perform but they do sound intriguing...

Products aside, I like wide, stretchy headbands...with some hoop earrings it's a cute look in a hurry.

For my really, REALLY bad hair days (or if the alarm didn't go off and I'm super late), I use faux hair! I just put my hair in a ponytail and clip a hairpiece on. Then I take about 30 seconds to a minute to curl a few loose tendrils around my face with a large barrell curling iron. I don't really have bangs anymore so I don't have to fuss with that. I tell you, doing this has saved my hide many times! As long as you choose a hairpiece that isn't too different in length than your real hair, nobody knows! Of course, I do have a really long one for when I just want to be a diva, and I don't care if people know it's fake!
icon_lol.gif
The nicer, more realistic pieces can be spendy, but for me it's money well spent.

Originally Posted by girl_geek Thanks! My hair's too long for a gel but I will look into those sprays! my hair was past my butt (i have wavy frizz prone hair) and i used gel all the time. but paul mitchell has Heat Seal which also seals hair from absorbing moisture. and it protects from heat styling.

Originally Posted by Anya1976 my hair was past my butt (i have wavy frizz prone hair) and i used gel all the time. but paul mitchell has Heat Seal which also seals hair from absorbing moisture. and it protects from heat styling. Your hair looks like you could wear gel to get nice pretty curls, but I blowdry mine straight so I don't want it too crunchy! (Unless there are gels that don't make your hair crunchy?)

Latest posts

Back