What "Type" are YOU?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sounds vague, huh? What I mean is this--are you more "earthy crunchy" or more "better living through chemistry" when you choose your skin/body care stuff?

For me, it's sort of a combination, because the main thing for me is that something WORKS, but where I CAN find a natural product that works, I kind of prefer that, although I don't necessarily go out of my way to do so. Yes, natural stuff is often times better for us, BUT....there is also a part of me that thinks all those bazillions of dollars in R&D must have a point, right?

What about you?

I'm a "use what works" person, too. I use Kiehls dark spot corrector all over and it works better for me than the shea terra organics natural one I have. Kiehls also doesn't smell like butt but the shea terra one stinks terribly. Obviously, some things I don't want on my skin, but yeah tons of time and money have gone into developing these other things and I can SEE it working, so I'm not going to stop using it because its not ~natural~, organic, crunchy granola, etc. 

I'm a best of both worlds person. I'll take a "better living through chemistry" product and add "earth crunchy" things to it to make it really potent. I always add Alba Botanica's Natural Hawaiian body oil to all my Philosophy lotions. My skin is so dry and this makes me soft and supple for at least a day!

Same here! I do prefer vegan and natural stuff, but at the same time, if it ain't doing anything for my skin, it's no good. I've had luck with items from all kinds of brands, so I have this crazy hodge podge of stuff that works for me!

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a "use what works" person, too. I use Kiehls dark spot corrector all over and it works better for me than the shea terra organics natural one I have. Kiehls also doesn't smell like butt but the shea terra one stinks terribly. Obviously, some things I don't want on my skin, but yeah tons of time and money have gone into developing these other things and I can SEE it working, so I'm not going to stop using it because its not ~natural~, organic, crunchy granola, etc. 

I don't have a preference for one or the other, but I personally seem to get much better results from natural products over science driven ones. For example I've tried everything money can buy to treat acne including prescriptions meds since I was about 13 and nothing even remotely helped. I happened to watch an interview with Emma Watson about her skincare routine and she mentioned drinking coconut water and applying pure argan oil to her skin completely changed it. I figured why not? and went out and bought some. It's been about 3 months and my skin has never been so clear before. I don't know or understand and logic behind it but I'm not going to complain haha. 

The only exception to this is with cosmetics. I can't find any natural brands that are even worth using for me. I'm perfectly content with my Urban Decay collection lol

Originally Posted by Isabelsjewely /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Amber do you have oily skin as well? was curious if you did since you use the oil on your face. 

I'd say my skin is combination, but I live in Fl so paired with the year round humidity my face is usually greasy. To be honest the first 5 or 6 times I applied the argan oil it felt so unpleasant and unnatural. It goes on feeling weird but completely absorbs into the skin and leaves almost like a powder feeling soft feeling. I read it is supposed to help with inflammation and it did seem to clear up my acne decently. I absolutely loathe the taste of coconut water, but that did a number to my skin too. it's been much more radiant and smooth. Again I have absolutely no idea what the science is behind it, i just can't deny it did something with the drastic results I got lol 

Originally Posted by Amber Blevins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd say my skin is combination, but I live in Fl so paired with the year round humidity my face is usually greasy. To be honest the first 5 or 6 times I applied the argan oil it felt so unpleasant and unnatural. It goes on feeling weird but completely absorbs into the skin and leaves almost like a powder feeling soft feeling. I read it is supposed to help with inflammation and it did seem to clear up my acne decently. I absolutely loathe the taste of coconut water, but that did a number to my skin too. it's been much more radiant and smooth. Again I have absolutely no idea what the science is behind it, i just can't deny it did something with the drastic results I got lol 
Do you happen to be a Julep Maven subscriber? if so, have you used the argan oil that went out with March's box? I've read up on some stuff about its benefits but wonder if all are made equally and am wondering if any type and/or brand of argan oil would be okay to put on the face. thanks~

Originally Posted by icecreamofwheat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you happen to be a Julep Maven subscriber? if so, have you used the argan oil that went out with March's box? I've read up on some stuff about its benefits but wonder if all are made equally and am wondering if any type and/or brand of argan oil would be okay to put on the face. thanks~

I can't say for certain, because I'm not an expert, but I've heard a lot of it is impure, or full of fillers, even in Morocco. 

Originally Posted by icecreamofwheat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't say for certain, because I'm not an expert, but I've heard a lot of it is impure, or full of fillers, even in Morocco. 

the sites not letting me post links for some reason but Josie maran has a really good one from sephora (just google "josie maran argan oil"). it specifies what is and is not in it. it's usually easy to tell by looking at the ingredient list if it has fillers, perfumes, weird chemicals, etc. I have used cheaper stuff though with no adverse reaction. I am not currently a Julep member to know the quality of the one they sent out, but It's a good bet to say it's not going to kill you to try it out on your face 
smile.gif

I used to be neutral - just used what worked, though I preferred a more botanical based product. Lately I've gone all-out with natural, green and organic stuff, and couldn't be happier! So far, so good - all the products I've tried has not made me break out or disagreed with my skin. I'm also seeing better results with the natural products. 100% Pure, Acure Organics and Blissoma are my go-tos, though I'm going to be trying Shea Terra Organics soon. 

The only thing I'm hesitant in spending heaps of money to try is spot treatment for acne. I use Zap-Zyt (10% benxoyl peroxide) because it does just that - zaps zits very quickly, usually within a day or two. I catch them early and poof! I know there are more natural spot treatments like Yes to Tomatoes, but I don't know if it'll work and I'm scared to take the risk!

I'll use what works, but I like the idea of natural products a lot more. I mean, if something without byproducts works, then how could something with chemicals be better?

Originally Posted by Amber Blevins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

your imagery is so believeable there that I needed to go wash my face! Like just talking about th ehumindity made me oily, then top it off with the talk of when you first applied the oil. LOL IDK if I am brave enough to venture down that road, but you are so brave in doing so! 
five.gif

Latest posts

Back