what would you reccomend for a teenager with oily skin and 50 bucks

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what should i spend it on such as brushes and a foundation and such i want the necessities i love e.l.f. and drugstore makeup

ELF brushes are good and inexpensive, the dollar line is okay for smaller brushes, like the one for packing on eyeshadow, but avoid the larger brushes since they shed. The studio line ($3) is better for the larger brushes, or get a nice set of brushes from Ecotools.

For inexpensive foundation I like Rimmel. The Stay Matte, Lasting Finish, Wake Me Up, and Clean Finish are all good choices for oily skin. (Check reviews to see which one you might like to try.) I think I'd stay away from Match Perfection though, that one likes to slide off my face, I think it might be better for dry skin. If you need heavy duty coverage you might want to go with Revlon Colorstay. Make sure you have a good face cleanser, because that one does not want to come off!

You can't go wrong with Wet n Wild for eyeshadows, the three pan, six pan, and Comfort Zone in the eight pan are all highly pigmented and inexpensive. The other eight pans are a little iffy (check reviews).

It's hard to recommend mascara since some like length, others want volume, and others want it to hold a curl etc. You could do a search here for "favorite mascara" and see what each person likes and why.

Jordana has good but inexpensive products. They are at Walgreens or Kmart. They are owned by Milani, which also has some great products but more expensive. I love Milani for blushes and bronzers.

Cover Girl Simply Powder is my favorite drugstore-brand foundation. I like E.L.F. and Rimmel products too; Rimmel has beautiful lipsticks if you plan on purchasing those.

I am a teenager with (less than) $50 and oily skin! ELF really does have your money stretch very far, if you want that. I'd actually try a few brands of foundation, but right now, since you have $50, buy one foundation. For oily skin, consider liquid or powder foundation. Creme foundations are moisturizing and for dry skin. I would also suggest powder, since its main use is to absorb oil. Mascara is very important...and maybe a small eyeshadow palette, like a quad. Lip glosses are vital! So is concealer and eyeliner. Blush....meh, not very essential but something you should buy at some point.

teenagers breakout, period. It happens to everyone. Wash your face everyday, avoid touching it, clean your cell phone to get the germs off. Or you could breakout on your cheeks

Originally Posted by YoAdrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

teenagers breakout, period. It happens to everyone. Wash your face everyday, avoid touching it, clean your cell phone to get the germs off. Or you could breakout on your cheeks
I don't think that's what she asked... :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and you can't avoid oily skin by washing your face. In fact, drying out oily skin is worse for you and won't help at at all.

I highly recommend Ecotools for brushes as well! They are fan-tas-tic! On a similar note, I wish they'd come out with a flat top brush!!

I would most definitely not recommend washing your face three times. That's just going to strip your skin of oils, especially if it's an oil free cleanser. Oil is not what causes breakouts. It's bacteria that reproduce in your pores.

If you strip your skin of oil, it's going to produce MORE oil to compensate. I would look into oil cleansing if you can.

Instead of foundation, I would try a tinted moisturizer. I hate to sound like an old person, but teenagers have NICE skin. Even if you have acne, your skin probably does not need super thick foundation on it.

I would look for a good concealer and just use that where you need it, instead of coating your whole entire face with foundation. That said, I totally used foundation all through high school, and I regularly used Wet N Wild, or Covergirl foundations. I also bought those foam makeup wedges, and would use a damp one to apply my foundation, because it made it get good coverage and I didn't look like I had on a ton of makeup either.

Again, not to sound like an old person, but if your school has no rules about crazy colored makeup, experiment! Have fun with it! Get some colored eyeliners, or one of those big pallettes of eyeshadows and just play around with it.

Personally, I don't like the eco tools brushes at all. For me they feel really cheap and they're densely packed bristles, but in a bad way. They're not fluffy at all and I feel like I'm using a paint brush on my face instead of a powder brush! I would recommend the ELF Brushes out of the Studio Line. I have the flat topped one and it's soooo amazing. I have had terrible luck with their regular brushes ,but all the studio ones I've purchased have been really great.

I think for necessities, an eyeshadow pallette with lots of colors in it so you can figure out "your" colors that you love wearing and that look best on you. Brushes are good to have for sure, maybe those wedge sponges too so you can play with them, foundation, concealer. Maybe blush and some lipstick, but I honestly think lipstick looks weird on younger people because generally they have nicer lips and color in them to begin with, so I think it's a waste to cover them up with heavy lipstick! Lipgloss, maybe some bronzer?

Oh ya, a nice pair of tweezers, an eyelash curler, and a brush holder! But it's kind of tricky because everyone has a slightly different set up for what they wear.

But have fun splurging and getting fun stuff with your money, and make sure you look up coupon codes so you get the most for your money! ELF is always running specials for free items, or discounts, so it's good to get those too. =]

Actually, what I recommend is not makeup. You will need to take a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot though. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Get a shower filter. I use Sprite. Cost me about $20, and the refills are only $10. You replace the filter inside every 6 months or so, but I do 4 months since we have really hard water. They are easy to install, and within a week you will see breakouts/redness reduce and oil production reduce. I know I did. With a shower filter those gentle skin cleansers/products will be more effective now that there will be no hard water build up on your skin. My skin still leans a bit oily, but I don't look like a fell into a vat of chicken grease anymore. Now I just get some oil in my t zone, and it takes longer to show up than before.

For foundation, from the drugstore I like Revlon ColorStay for oily/combination skin. Outside of the drugstore I like MAC Pro Longwear and Tarte Amazonian Clay (though this does have tiny sparkles in it).

Keep blotting sheets around. IMO adding powder can make you look cakey, and I know for my skin adding powder seems to make oil production kick up.

Make sure you get a really good, light weight moisturizer. It seems counterproductive, but at least in my experience, once I started using moisturizer, my face started getting less oily.

I'm a huge fan of ELF brushes in the Studio and Mineral line. Sephora also has very good brushes, but I would splurge on a more high end foundation since they're usually made with better quality ingredients. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back