what's everyone reading?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm always looking for new books/authors to try. So anyone reading anything good?

I just started reading books by Dianne Day. She writes mysteries about a woman named Freemont Jones, and they take place in turn of the century San Francisco. They seem fun so far
smile.gif

My favorite authors are John Grisham and Particia Cornwell. I like to read law type of books.

Janet Evanovich everything mysteries for LOL guffaws, The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren, Byron Katie's Loving What Is, Carole Maggio's Facercizers, Eva Fraser's Facial Workout, 2 Corinthians any version.

Have you tried Anne Rice? Stephen King? I love these 2 authours..Not intellectual material ..Yes I know..But highly entertaining none the less..

I tried Anne Rice, not my fave. Dean Koontz Dark Rivers of the Heart among others of his captured my attention, though I can't read that type of stuff anymore. Try Linda Howard, Iris Johansen, Tami Hoag, Kathleen Sutcliffe, Sara Mitchell & Diana Palmer for historical/current romance/mystery, Tim LaHaye for the Left Behind series. Another awesome writer is Francine Rivers.

I am a super geek! Major techno brain

I read:

1. PC Magazine
  2. Maximum PC
  3. PC World
  4. Windows Magazine
  5. The local newspaper
  6. TechTV.com
  7. Dinner Menus, cuz Reija, Cameron and I never eat at home
    biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif

NOT in that order
    smile.gif

Originally Posted by alittleweirdo

I'm always looking for new books/authors to try. So anyone reading anything good?I just started reading books by Dianne Day. She writes mysteries about a woman named Freemont Jones, and they take place in turn of the century San Francisco. They seem fun so far
    smile.gif

I actually haven't tried either of these authors. I've been wary of Stephen King since I don't like anything too scary. I have read Dean Koontz before, and enjoyed some of his stuff.

And, there's nothing wrong with reading things that aren't intellectual
smile.gif
I've been reading mostly fun stuff lately--needed a break from all the classics I read in college
wink.gif

Originally Posted by allisong Have you tried Anne Rice? Stephen King? I love these 2 authours..Not intellectual material ..Yes I know..But highly entertaining none the less..

I just finished "Its a long way from penny apples" Great story about growing up poor in Ireland during the 40's. My Mom got me the book, she grew up in the same neighborhood. A lot of the stories that my Mom has told me about her childhood are in the book. I remember as a kid thinking that no one could have it that bad but after reading the book I was really moved by the fact that even though they were so poor and unfortunate that they loved life and perservered, much like my Mom. Right now I'm into reading about Irish history or works of Irish authors so I'm looking for another great book, let me know if you have any suggestions.

i read wat u rite i hate books there sooooooo boring i read eminem's book not dat long ago that was gud and now i am waiting for tupac's biography from his mom. i cant stand books about fake stuff or old boring books
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by alittleweirdo I'm always looking for new books/authors to try. So anyone reading anything good?I just started reading books by Dianne Day. She writes mysteries about a woman named Freemont Jones, and they take place in turn of the century San Francisco. They seem fun so far
smile.gif

I am reading The Da Vinci code by Dan Brown ,and Immortal poems of the english language(An anthology edited by Oscar Williams.

My favorite author is Iris Johansen.. I've read all her books. Recently I picked up her newest book "Blind Alley" - but I haven't been able to start it yet... no time. Hopefully will be reading it soon - she's great! The only problem is that when you start one of her books, you become obsessed with finishing it to see how it ends, so I'm purposely not starting it until I know I'll have a few days to read it all the way through.

Right now I am trying to finish the DaVinci Code and Good in Bed. Very different books! I like all typed of authors. James Patterson, John Grisham, Sophie Kinsella... it all depends what type of book I am in the mood for.

Im a loyal Dean Koontz fan, ive read close too all of 'em. Im also into somewhat strange books, stuff like Ivrine Welsh (Fear and Loathing, and The Acid house - my #1 fave) and Ken Kesey. I like things that are off a bit
icon_twisted.gif
!

Then theres the flip side, I LOVE Harry Potter! Seriously the books are written sooo well, im really impressed with them all so far.

i need to pick up some new books. i've only been reading mags and the same book over and over. lol.

i liked agenl and demons better than the davinci code if anyone wants to pick that up.

I have been going back and forth from the Da Vinci Code and Catch 22, by Joseph Heller. I just can't focus on either right now. I think I may have to look for something new and just dive right in.

I never have time to read during the school year ... over the last few school breaks I've been reading bits and pieces of JRR Tolkien's works (Unfinished Tales, History of Middle Earth series -- early drafts of Lord of the Rings and stories that were not published until after he died), since I can just read a short story or chapter about a favorite character and not need to read the whole book, since I've already read Lord of the Rings a few times. I have about a month off before summer classes start; I'm not sure if I'll have time to read a novel or if all my scrapbooking, preparing for the class I will be teaching in June, and visiting my parents will keep me busy!

But in high school and in some college summer breaks, I read a book a week (two if it was a long, old classic or 1000-page Tom Clancy), I was a nerd!
smile.gif
My favorite authors include John Grisham, Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton, and Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (they wrote a lot of books together -- similar to Michael Crichton but more character development, imo). I can appreciate the classics and read some on occasion, but I definitely prefer to read for pure entertainment, since during the school year I just read textbooks and articles to learn!
smile.gif

Hubby loves Stephen King, and while I haven't read any of his books he's told me a lot about them. A lot of them aren't even scary, they just deal with elements of the supernatural -- for example, he wrote The Green Mile and Hearts in Atlantis, both made into movies, and both focus much more on the characters with only a little bit of the supernatural (such as psychic powers) thrown in to make things interesting. Hubby is currently reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series, a 7-volume fantasy story that also deals with parallel dimensions and such.

Originally Posted by Marisol If anyone here is into chick literature (a la Bridget Jones books) here is what I recommend:
Sophie Kinsella's Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, Shopaholic Ties the Knot & Shopaholic and Sister.

Marian Keyes' Last Chance Saloon, Watermelon & Sushi for Beginners

Jane Green's Jemima J and Mr Maybe

Jennifer Weiner's Good in Bed (reading it now and really enjoying it)

Karyn Bosnak's Save Karyn: One Shopaholic's Journey to Debt and Back

hehe. i read sophie kinsella's shopaholic series, except for the sister one. waiting till that comes out in paperback.
one chick book that i like is I do, but I don't by Cara Lockwood.

Originally Posted by girl_geek I am too much of a geek to like chick books, I don't even like chick flicks, lol
wink.gif
LOL, I'm with you girlgeek about the chick books, lol!
As for me, I'm going to start reading The Kite Runner tonight, by Khaled Hosseini. My mom wants me to read that book so badly, she bought me an Amazon gift certificate.

Latest posts

Back