What's your nail look?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My nails are arcylics. About a 1/4" longer than Janelle's. I tend to keep them on the longer side because if their too short my fingers look stubby. I always use OPI nail polish. Right now I have Chocolate Shakespeare on . It's a neutral color. I do love darker colors like reds and burgundy's. I will wear funky blues, greens and yellows that are OPI and OPI Nicole's.

Originally Posted by Trisha Wow looking at your pic Janelle (apart from then nails) is like looking at a pic of my own hand!! Gimme it back!! LOL It's your Makeup hand! I stole it so that I can recreate those eyes!! LOL
I usually have my nails a little longer too Jonna... I think I have stumpy fingers too with them short... but I told him to cut em' down a bit & he went to town! lol
redface.gif

I have to keep my nails short for several reasons, however, I do get regular manicures every other week. I've tried it all, wraps, acrylics, silk wrap, glue.....right now I regularly get UV Gel Manicures. In the summer I get that "permanent French manicure". Out of all the different types I've tried, I like the UV Gel because if you decide you are tired of your nail polish or it chips, when you remove it, your nails are shiny as though you had on a coat of clear nail polish. It stays that way until your next manicure. I know none of these nail treatments are really good for your nails but I am a former nail biter and anytime my nails aren't "done" I resort back to my nail biting habit.

"Permanent French" manicures are great because they don't chip off like tradition French manicures do. It really lasts until your nail grows out or until you decide you want them cut shorter.

Originally Posted by lilla Jennifer, how much mg do you take biotin a day? What brand are they? Where do you buy them? TIA
biggrin.gif
i take 1,000 MCG (not mg) a day, sometimes i'll take 2,000 (2 tablets) like twice a week. there's no toxicity known, but i wouldn't go more than 3,000. i buy them on puritan.com, which has the best sales. i think right now it's buy 1, get 2 free. they're very inexpensive, too.

Originally Posted by Trisha Remember that ep of Friends (one of the eps in Vegas) were Joey thought he had found his hand twin!! LOL yes! i was watching that yesterday! it was sooo funny.
joey: i found my identical hand twin!

phoebe: ah, you're so lucky!

LMAO!

Thank you, I have to check them out
wink.gif

i take 1,000 MCG (not mg) a day, sometimes i'll take 2,000 (2 tablets) like twice a week. there's no toxicity known, but i wouldn't go more than 3,000. i buy them on puritan.com, which has the best sales. i think right now it's buy 1, get 2 free. they're very inexpensive, too.

My finger nails are always boring. I get french manicures for special occasions and occasionally american manicures since they last a little longer and I love the natural look. Most of hte time though, no polish at all and not too long.

My toes on the other hand...I love pedicures! Right now, they are bright pink (OPI, something with the word party in it).

Right now mine are short with no polish. I hate waiting for them to dry. During the holidays I like to have acrylics put on. I love OPI's I'm not really a waitress.

Originally Posted by Trisha Mine are bitten with no polish, they used to be fairly long and neat, but ive been biting them everytime they grow lately! Also we arent really allowed to wear polish for work! x I'm surprised at that! I would've thought they'd encourage it. I saw a pic of Stila Petal nail varnish in Glamour magazine and it looks so pretty.

Being a nail biter (terrible habit I know) I had acrylics on for about 2 years. Then I started going to this gal who did linen wraps only. Boy what a difference. I keep them pretty short not much more than 1/16 to 1/8 at the most past the end of my finger . My staple polish right now is OPI Hopelessly in Love which is a very pale pink sheer color. Very clean looking. With these linen wraps noone even knows they are fake nails. I really disliked the look that I got with the acrylic. They were thick and clawlike even if I kept them short. Many people tell me I have beautiful hands now. At least something on me is beautiful. LOL

Originally Posted by elljmz Being a nail biter (terrible habit I know) I had acrylics on for about 2 years. Then I started going to this gal who did linen wraps only. Boy what a difference. I keep them pretty short not much more than 1/16 to 1/8 at the most past the end of my finger . My staple polish right now is OPI Hopelessly in Love which is a very pale pink sheer color. Very clean looking. With these linen wraps noone even knows they are fake nails. I really disliked the look that I got with the acrylic. They were thick and clawlike even if I kept them short. Many people tell me I have beautiful hands now. At least something on me is beautiful. LOL Is the linen much different than silk?? Can you post a pic?
icon_wink.gif

And I'm SURE there's a lot of things beautiful about you besides your nails!
tongue.gif

I 've never had silk wraps before. I have tried fiberglass once before but I felt like I was wearing part of a boat on me. Anyhow, the linen is very thin material that she glues on top of the nails in several layers. She even does nail extensions with just the linen so there is no ridge that needs to be filled like with acrylics. (which is why they end up being so thick and clawlike.

I moved last October and still haven't found the box with my digital camera. I'm going on a hunt tomorrow to find it so I can start posting pictures. If you ever stumble onto someone that does linen you should give it a try. Most of us who get the linen only need fills every 3 to 4 weeks. I usually go for a file and polish change inbetween. I bet if you went to a beauty supply and asked they could recommend someone in your area that does linens. Afterall they sell the stuff to someone. Good Luck

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Is the linen much different than silk?? Can you post a pic?
icon_wink.gif

And I'm SURE there's a lot of things beautiful about you besides your nails!
tongue.gif

How's this for thread revival? Those who have already answered, are things still the same?

As for me, I keep mine short and polish-free. I'm far too impatient to wait for the polishing process. My toenails are the same. I think I'm gonna breakdown and go for some acrylics soon. A little longer than short, square and American manicure. I hate getting them done, though. It takes too long, but it's on my list....it's just a matter of when!

I have a UV Gel overlay on my own natural nails. I'm a former nail biter and many many moons ago I started having my nails done to deter me from biting them. It worked and I've been doing it ever since. Now recently, I wanted to grow out my own nails and stop doing the gel thing (I've tried wraps, acrylic, etc. and I like the gel the best). But my nails are weak and I automatically went back to biting them. So I guess I will forever be a slave to my nails. That's why I went back to having them done every other week. Its the only way I won't bite them. I do keep my nails short (but polished)
wink.gif
since I wear contact lenses and my karate instructor advises against long nails when you train.

In the summer I have French manicures and now I have been using dark, plummy colors or deep reds.

As an artist, I really can't do the painted fingernail thing, so they're short, with rounded corners. Sometimes, I do a good buffing, so they have a little sheen to them. However, since I'm not working, I've been thinking of experimenting with painting them a dark vamp color or an iridescent black/chocolate brown color. As for my toes, I am extremely anal about maintaining the hooves. I try to get pedis as often as I can, and I usually do toe maintenance every week.
icon_biggrin.gif

Mine are short right now, the ends of my nails are just even with my fingertips, and are not rounded (can't stand rounded nails) but are more of a "soft" square tip...

I used to have acrylics, and I kinda miss them! My nails would be as long as I wanted without chipping or peeling (I do WAY too many things iwth my hands)... When I have the $$ I will probably get acrylics again...

Sugarquayn, that irredescent chocolate/black color sounds fantastic. I think I need to look for a shade like this...NOW! LOL! Would be great on my toes.

I don't have my faux nails on at the moment. So I'm sportin a real pretty bare, neglected look! I can't remember why I stopped, I think it was because I was moving and I was so overwhelmed on the preparations, I didn't have time to upkeep my nails. Anyway, I think the time is right to get them done again. I pretty much stick with short, square shape, a French manicure but just a very thin strip of the white at the edge. I don't like a big thick white tip. I hope I can find time to go this weekend and get em done!

Oh, what's a UV gel overlay?

My nails are very strong, healthy, and grow super fast. I just cut them the other day short because they were getting too long. I never paint them and I think that's one of the reasons they are healthy. I just keep them manicured and buffed so they look shiny like I have a top coat on but I don't.

My fingernails are usually short and unpolished. I usually only polish them if they are getting long or if I have someplace special to go.

My toes are usually always painted. In the summer I go for pedicures and in the winter I usually do it myself, unless I feel like indulging, then I go and get them done.

If my fingers are painted, they HAVE to match my toes. I'm anal that way.

Back