Where Are My Africannas (AND Diaspora) At?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nox

Reaction score
SPINOFF from Celly's thready about Latinas:

My ladies, from any part of the diaspora to the Motherland, please represent!

1. WHAT IS YOUR HERITAGE?

2. DID YOU OR ANY MEMBERS OF YOUR FAMILY TAKE PART IN HISTORIC EVENTS?

3. WHAT IS IT YOU LOVE ABOUT BEING A SISTER?

4. HAVE YOU TRAVELLED TO THE MAINLAND?

5. ANYTHING ELSE THAT IS INTERESTING ABOUT YOU?

I am an Igbo Nigerian American. Both parents born in the old land, my siblings and I born in the USA. My extended is scattered all over the globe, but the bulk of them still remain in southeastern Nigeria (old Biafra).

Yes, my uncles and grandpa fought in the Biafra war (civil war).

Not sure, but knowing what my heritage is, I am very proud of it.

Yes!
biggrin.gif

I just saved $200 on my car insurance by switching to GEICO. Joking.

nox, you make me laugh! i just love your spirit!

not really sure. i do know that my great, great grandmother was choctau and my great, great grandfather was freed in the mid 1800s.

yeah, slavery (hope this isn't a buzz kill!) lmao~

everything from my brown skin to my kinky hair!

no, but i will before i die!

i've got this weird thing with my blood found in people that lived by the mediterranean sea (my blood cells are oddly shaped). my doctor thought i needed medication, but it turns out my blood is cool, just different. wonder which one of my ansestors i have to thank for that! lmao~

you know, i should really have my geneology checked. i wonder what i'd find out? could be quite interesting!

I am an igboa girl from abiriba, abia state, Nigeria.

My mother and her family ran during the biafra war. My maternal grandfather was a mayor and school principal in my village

It makes me different and unique. It adds to who I am. I love being from a place that has a unique and specific culture.

If by mainland you mean lagos, then yeaaaaaaah. I lived in Lagos.
smile.gif

I was born in the village.

WHAT IS YOUR HERITAGE?

my mom was spanierd my father is mexican

DID YOU OR ANY MEMBERS OF YOUR FAMILY TAKE PART IN HISTORIC EVENTS.

my mom went to woodstock. (musical historic event) does that count?

WHAT IS IT YOU LOVE ABOUT BEING A SISTER?

the cultures, the music, the traditions and the history

HAVE YOU TRAVELED TO THE MAINLAND?

only to mexico but not to spain (yet)

ANYTHING ELSE THAT IS INTERESTING ABOUT YOU?

i have ESP

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif nox, you make me laugh! i just love your spirit!

not really sure. i do know that my great, great grandmother was choctau and my great, great grandfather was freed in the mid 1800s.

thats really interesting. I was also wondering, do you find that you hold any hidden...anger( for lack of better words) towards white people just based on this fact alone? I know most people would find it a good reason to. I was wondering if you felt that way?

Monnie, that is pretty darn cool! You can learn alot about yourself by doing genetic testing. Geneology is such an unpredictable thing. The thing that I like about black Americans is that you (collectively) have established such a unique and rich culture, that IMO, you do not really need to back-reference yourself to Africa at all. Most black Americans have been here longer than most other American families when you really think about it. You have earned the title of Full American, nothing less.

Grace, do you know where your family "came from" before Lagos? I know alot of Igbos tend not to come from there (either Imo State or Anambra State usually).

MUFreak, cool, you posted in this thread.... you can be our honorary "sister" too,
biggrin.gif
! How did you find out that you have ESP abilities? That's pretty darn rare!

This is a really interesting thread even for an Irish-American like me. I need to read Celly's thread now too. I hate to admit it, but I'm a social studies teacher who doesn't know what the term Igboa means. Can you explain it to me?

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Grace, do you know where your family "came from" before Lagos? I know alot of Igbos tend not to come from there (either Imo State or Anambra State usually).

Well, I know that I was born in abiriba, then lived in owere for 2 years, then aba, then lagos. Do you remember umungasi? its in aba.
Or when awkoche was reigning? HAHHHHHHHHHHHA.

Akwoche na yim dey reign, ebano. Chidera go buy your own. ::sings::

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well, I know that I was born in abiriba, then lived in owere for 2 years, then aba, then lagos. Do you remember umungasi? its in aba.
Or when awkoche was reigning? HAHHHHHHHHHHHA.

Akwoche na yim dey reign, ebano. Chidera go buy your own. ::sings::

No Grace, I do not remember as I was born in the U.S., not in the old land.
But still, if I had a dime for every politically coined jingle out of Naija...

Originally Posted by JennyMcL /img/forum/go_quote.gif This is a really interesting thread even for an Irish-American like me. I need to read Celly's thread now too. I hate to admit it, but I'm a social studies teacher who doesn't know what the term Igboa means. Can you explain it to me? Jenny,
Ibo/Igbo is not so much a term as it is a large ethnic group. As well as the name that people would call themselves as, the language is also called by the same name. I can tell already that even though Grace (EmpiricalBeauty) and I can communicate in the same written language, our spoken dialects would be notably different, and may or may not be mutually intelligible (at least I'm bad with different dialects, anyway.)

In many West African societies, the name of the country means nothing when you are trying to describe an ethnic group. You may have various ethnic groups that do not recognize each other as ethnic kin, but fly under one national flag. Just like here in the U.S., nationality cannot be synonymous with ethnicity. In its own way, Nigeria is a melting pot for many unrelated languages, cultures and peoples, especially since it is the most populous country in the whole continent. About 1 out of 5 Africans is a Nigerian.

Charlize Theron would be considered African, ain't she? Since she was born there and all...

I look at her as that way, anyways.

That makes a lot of sense Nox. I know that a lot of colonizers divided Africa up based on what raw material they wanted to exploit from the country. As a result you had countries like Ghana who was created solely for chocolate. As a result these countries cross ethnic lines and are majorly tied into a few commodities. Thanks for clearing that up for me
smile.gif

not sure specifically as I was adopted, but I am one-quarter African-American

2. DID YOU OR ANY MEMBERS OF YOUR FAMILY TAKE PART IN HISTORIC EVENTS? my grannie's family were slaves in Mississippi
frown.gif

just proud to be me and have many different cultures in my family

unfortunately, no

I am also Native American (Blackfoot), along with English, Irish, and quite a few others...haha, melting pot

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif Charlize Theron would be considered African, ain't she? Since she was born there and all...
I look at her as that way, anyways.

Yes, she is indeed African. Her family has been there for at least 1 or 2 generations before her, she speaks the local language (Afrikaans, I would guess), she was raised in Afrikaaner culture, her nationality is of South Africa. She is irrefutably African, as even she herself says she is.

Black, puerto rican, white

Not too sure, don't really know too many of dad's side

Whats not to love?!? I love bein tri-racial? LOL

Not yet, but plan on it when my daughter is old enough to understand.

I can speak french, and a lil bit of spanish!

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats really interesting. I was also wondering, do you find that you hold any hidden...anger( for lack of better words) towards white people just based on this fact alone? I know most people would find it a good reason to. I was wondering if you felt that way?

no, i never have and never will. anger and hate don't solve anything. remembering my history just helps me to understand more about myself and people that have the same background. why we do the things we do. how we act sometimes. it's weird, but it really does affect everything about you. i remind myself often because there was no therapy or coping sessions designed to help ex-slaves and their families assimilate. it has affected how we view the world. i know that there is a Divine purpose for why we are here, just hasn't been revealed to us yet. one thing is for sure i know that every day i live and breathe i'm blessed and who could be angry about that!
sunshine.gif

this thread has me so full right now! you ladies are awesome!

Okay, I am loving this thread!

1. WHAT IS YOUR HERITAGE? I'm a proverbial soup. My grandmother is Choctaw, Irish, and Black, her mother was full blooded Choctaw born on a reservation in Oklahoma, my mom's grandfather was Irish and Black, he passed for white snuck my greatgrandma off the reservation and married her at 13, had 10 kids. My mom's dad was Creole and Black from 7th Ward area of New Orleans, LA.

2. DID YOU OR ANY MEMBERS OF YOUR FAMILY TAKE PART IN HISTORIC EVENTS? Back in the day we use to do Mardi Gras but most of the time, locals don't even go, just tourists. A lot of my family in Louisiana goes to Creole Heritage Day.

3. WHAT IS IT YOU LOVE ABOUT BEING A SISTER? EVERYTHING...what's not to love. :)

4. HAVE YOU TRAVELED TO THE MAINLAND?

Nope, but I'd love to, I'm planning on it one day.

My mother's family name is Hullum, which is a pretty rare last name the only black Hullum's I know are my family, SO if you find one let me know, we might be related...LOL

I'm Moroccan (so North African
biggrin.gif
) from my dad, and English from my mum. My great-great-grandad on my mum's side was from Denmark.

Can't recall my dad telling me about anything except that during a famine in Morocco his Grandfather was one of the few farmers who had the most stock and was feeding the people in the town..

I'm mixed so nobody ever really figures out where Im from :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I like that I have the different cultures and all different family members.

Yes I've travelled several times to Morocco as a child. I would really like to visit lots of the more southward countries of Africa though.

I spent my first 17 years in France
smile.gif
I speak French, English, and a bit of Arabic/Moroccan dialect.

Mariam xx

I'm also Moroccan from both parents.

2. DID YOU OR ANY MEMBERS OF YOUR FAMILY TAKE PART IN HISTORIC EVENTS? I really don't think so.

Actually, what I love is having 2 cultures and 2 nationalites : Moroccan and Belgian. And knowing that my roots are in Africa is so meaningful.

Yes I have. But I only had the chance to go to Morocco (we have a house there) and to Egypt.

People say I don't look Moroccan, which I sometimes hate and sometimes find it fun when ppl talk about me in Arabic without knowing I understand everything they say.

I find it funny to be able to look like a real Moroccan one day or another "ethnicity" another day just because of "superficial" stuff like hair coloring, tanning and makeup.

Latest posts

Back