Where Are My Latinos At?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Sheikah /img/forum/go_quote.gif We Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Cubans (Spanish too) have a little problem when we communicate with other spanish speaking people lol.Here we say "coger" to mean take or pick i.e. "Pick up the trash=Coge la basura." "I'm taking a test=Estoy cogiendo un examen." "I'm going to take the bus=Voy a coger la guagua." Ok so, it happens that Argentinians and Colombians among others use the word "coger" to mean "f*ck" so imagine how those senteces sound if you replace the word pick or take with f*ck hahaha. They make fun of us when they hear us use the word. Happened a lot of times to my friend when he visited Argentina.

Ahh...sh*t...you got me crackin up!!! So, my bf picks me up after school...I can say, "Me vas a coger despues de la clase?"

Why not.
wink.gif

Lol!!!!!!! Haha yeah, I'd love to see his face hahaha. It would not be the common way of saying it but I think you could still use it successfully hahaha

Yeah but it sucks, we're always told when we travel those places... "Beware, remember not to say coger!!!! Say tomar, agarrar, recoger instead!!" Haha and there we go and try to coger everything hahahah. At least they know the drill good enough to know we're not perverts hahaha so they just point at us and laugh.

When I went to visit NYC, ppl thought I was puerto rican! Does that count ?

Does it count that my cousin is 1/8 spanish and my best friend is spanish ?

Even a REAL puerto rican guy thought I was one. In the subway, one other guy was talking to me in spanish.

Everytime I went grocery shopping, the guy was saying the price in spanish. I didn't mind cuz I had spanish classes.

But anyhoo, one day I needed some explanations about a phone card cuz I wanted to call my family here in Belgium. So I asked him about it (in english) and he went on and on in spanish. I was like : hey, look, I understand what you're saying but it's not my mother tongue. He said : huh? Where are you from then? I said Belgium, Europe. He gave me that look you know like I was ashamed of my roots. Then I had to explain that I was born and raised in Belgium but my family was from Morocco, Africa. I could see the "wtf" look in his eyes lol.

You know ppl always want to guess what you are. I had : Italian, Spanish, Algerian, Belgian.... And now I know it depends on my complexion or/and my hair color from the moment.

But what pissed me once is when I was in Dallas visiting a friend, we went for brunch with some of his friends, one of them was saying some stuff about white people then turned around and said : my bad, I didn't want to offense you! I was like huh? Do I look white? they were all : yeah, why? u not?

grrrrrrr

Then again the explanation about Belgium, Morocco, Africa (lolll that part they didn't understand cuz if you're african you're supposed to be black right???), Arab, etc...

They were like : oh, ok like Bin Laden ? Whatever.

People here always think Moroccans have curly black hair, tanned and don't know how to speak proper french. They don't know we can look white, black, have curly or straight hair.

Ok I know it was off subject but I had to be part of the conversation loll

Soowwry.

I wish I could speak spanish! in fact, any other language. It sounds very sexy
biggrin.gif
whooo hooo muito te amo! haha is that even spanish?
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif I wish I could speak spanish! in fact, any other language. It sounds very sexy
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Je ne parle pas espagnol. J'aime le francais meilleur

1. State your nationality. 100% Mexican

2. Do you speak Spanish fluently? Yes

3. Where you born in your Country or somewhere else? born in the US

4. If you were born in a different place beside your Country, how & why did your parents move?My mom moved over here with her parents and did my dad moved over here with his parents-my dad became a resident in 2000 my mom was one a long time ago

5. Do people mistake you for another nationality, if so, what? people always think i'm white I don't know why...at the pharmacy I worked at people would always assume I didn't know spanish because I was a gringa...LOL

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif I wish I could speak spanish! in fact, any other language. It sounds very sexy
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Lol Rosie, well Te amo is... muito is not. I think you want to say "Te amo mucho."
wink.gif
I love you a lot?

1. State your nationality.

I'm mostly Mexican, I think both my great grandfathers were from Spain, and probably my great grandmothers.

2. Do you speak Spanish fluently?

You know it. I just have a funny little accent when I speak it cause I'm not confident I'm saying it right. It was my first language for 7 years then it was all English from there baby! I just speak Spanish with my grandma and sometimes my parents.

3. Where you born in your Country or somewhere else?

Los Angeles baby!

MACFACE! We were born in the same place!

4. If you were born in a different place beside your Country, how & why did your parents move?

They met in L.A. I've only been to Mexico once.

5. Do people mistake you for another nationality, if so, what?

Most Mexicans (there's a lot where I live in WA) think I'm white! I don't know how, and others think I have to be half white and half Mexican, no one ever guesses I'm full! Lol. And other people think I'm some kind of Asian decent.

I understand why I get confused though, I'm really pale for a Mexican, my mom cannot hold a tan, and my mom actually looks Chinese, so yeah... and I prob get confused for white cause I speak perfect English. My husband who is German and Scottish/Irish, gets confused as latino when he's around me lol.

1. State your nationality.

Mexican...don't know exact percentile, but have Native American + Spanish + a dash of German

My parents never taught me! I learned 3 yrs in college, but still have issues putting phrases together.

USA!

4. If you were born in a different place beside your Country, how & why did your parents move?

Nope.

Sometimes, people think I'm white when I haven't been tanning, but most of the time they get it right.

I think it's fascinating and wonderful at the same time how we can be different shades and shapes, but still be very simliar. I think that latin women are very spicy in terms of personality! We are a passionate people. We are born with rhythm in our souls that make our feet move when we hear a good beat.
smile.gif

1. State your nationality

On my dads side of the family I'm Spanish, French German. And on my Moms side I'm Spanish, Mexican, Swedish and Lebanese. All of my great-grandparents where from Spain, I would say I'm 1/2 Spanish and 1/8 of Mexican, French German,, Swedish, and Lebanese.

Nope not quite
sadno.gif
I could speak and understand a little, but nothing to brag about LOL!

USA!

Most people could tell I'm Spanish, but a lot of people asked me if I'm Italian LOL!

Originally Posted by Sheikah /img/forum/go_quote.gif "To ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME." Omg Nox I Love that! Lol
Rosita! Siiii me gusta!

Lol Celly, yeah I think it's very funny the times I've heard "No mames guey." It's like a "You're kidding me", "I can't believe it." sort of thing I think. In Puerto Rico we'll say more, "No jodas" like "You're fu**ing with me."

Ohh and that reminds me..

We Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Cubans (Spanish too) have a little problem when we communicate with other spanish speaking people lol.

Here we say "coger" to mean take or pick i.e. "Pick up the trash=Coge la basura." "I'm taking a test=Estoy cogiendo un examen." "I'm going to take the bus=Voy a coger la guagua." Ok so, it happens that Argentinians and Colombians among others use the word "coger" to mean "f*ck" so imagine how those senteces sound if you replace the word pick or take with f*ck hahaha. They make fun of us when they hear us use the word. Happened a lot of times to my friend when he visited Argentina.

Aw yeah, my last year Spanish teacher mentioned that once on our class - it's used as well on spanish from Spain. He's Cuban and his spanish is so cool
smile.gif
I'm not a fan of the accent of the spanish spoken on Spain

The language is similar except for a few words but if you live with people from different spanish speaking countries i guess you cant really tell the language is a little different.

This guy once asked me to teach him how to speak Puerto Rican. lol

my boyfriend is mexican but he doesn't speak spanish as clear anymore. I consider myself family with his cuz ive been wit him so long. Im no longer just the guera who always takin up flacos time lol.. i love mexican ppl cuz they kno how to party even if its for somethin little. his fam get crunk all the time & that boink boink music is hot
smile.gif

Both of my parents are Puerto Rican born and raised so I'm Puerto Rican but......

they moved to New York in the 1950's and I was born and raised in Manhattan, NY

I speak Spanish but a lot of Latin Americans can't understand a lot of what I'm saying (hahaha)- hey I can't understand a lot of what Cubans are saying come to find out. Slow down they say.

Many people ask am I Puerto Rican - I am

Many people ask am I Dominican - No

Many people ask am I Black - I have African in my ancestry as do most Latin Americans

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif The language is similar except for a few words but if you live with people from different spanish speaking countries i guess you cant really tell the language is a little different.
This guy once asked me to teach him how to speak Puerto Rican. lol

Lol!!! Yeah I know 'bout that. We practically murder Spanish but it's not a different language yet lol!

Latest posts

Back