Where Are My Latinos At?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't come across a lot of latinos here, so this should be fun to find you waldos.

People from Spain are not considered Latino/Hispanic because they're European. And "Spanish/Spaniard" is reserved only to folks who come from Spain, not Latin Amerca. But our language is called Spanish. Confusing, I know... haha.

1. State your nationality. (Even if you're 50% latino, 25% latino - share from where you're from! Specifics is fine aswell... say your Great Grandfather was from Italy and your Great Grandma was from Honduras.)

2. Do you speak Spanish fluently?

3. Where you born in your Country or somewhere else?

4. If you were born in a different place beside your Country, how & why did your parents move?

5. Do people mistake you for another nationality, if so, what?

------------------------------

1. I'm 50% Cuban and 50% Salvadorean (El Salvador).

2. My parents speak it fluently, but Spanish is my 2nd language. I learned it from being forced in bilingual class from 3rd up to 7th grade. Meaning, they assumed Spanish was my first language so all my courses like math and social studies were taught in Spanish. Not the best time in my life.

3. I was born in the US.

4. My parents left their country. My father due to the whole Fidel issue and my Mother because they had a civil war going on and her whole family was on the "hit list". Her dad (who was an activist) was killed before he arrived to the US.

5. Because I live in California - they usually asked if I'm mixed or Mexican. I get the dumb responses like, "no - you're just black" or the good guesses would be Puerto Rican (they have a lot of similarities with Cubans) . Surprisingly, some folks from Cali don't know any other Latin American country besides Mexico. Pah.

Hmm. There aren't droves of Latinas on board, but I'd be willing to be there is still a good showing here. You're right about California, the first thing many of them think when they hear "Latina" is Mexican. Truth be told Celly, you don't "look" much like a Mexican. I would have guessed Dominican Republic, Cuban, or Puerto Rican. If all one watches is stuff on Univision and Telemundo, then it is no wonder why people have a hard recognizing what other types of Latinos look like. Latino can be practically anybody. Heck, I recently attended a La Raza festival here with some friends of mine, and I didn't get any wierd looks. People always assumed I was one of them. I guess that's kinda like being an American, it's all-inclusive.

Question 1: Since Brazilians speak Portuguese, they would not be considered 'Hispanic', correct? If you wanted to include them when speaking about the "Pan South American" continent, would it still be appropriate to say "Latina/Latino" when refering to Brazilians?

Question 2: In Belize, since the official language is English, they are also not officially 'Hispanic' either? Would they not be considered "Latina/Latino" either?

1. State your nationality. Im 100% Dominican

2. Do you speak Spanish fluently? yes

3. Where you born in your Country or somewhere else? I was born in the US.

4. If you were born in a different place beside your Country, how & why did your parents move? My parents came over in the 60s with the new wave of immigrants. My mom FINALLY became a US citizen.

5. Do people mistake you for another nationality, if so, what? Alot of people think im either white or puerto rican.

yeah Celly does look Dominican. lol I dont fit the normal dominican look.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hmm. There aren't droves of Latinas on board, but I'd be willing to be there is still a good showing here. You're right about California, the first thing many of them think when they hear "Latina" is Mexican. Truth be told Celly, you don't "look" much like a Mexican. I would have guessed Dominican Republic, Cuban, or Puerto Rican. If all one watches is stuff on Univision and Telemundo, then it is no wonder why people have a hard recognizing what other types of Latinos look like. Latino can be practically anybody. Heck, I recently attended a La Raza festival here with some friends of mine, and I didn't get any wierd looks. People always assumed I was one of them. I guess that's kinda like being an American, it's all-inclusive.
Question 1: Since Brazilians speak Portuguese, they would not be considered 'Hispanic', correct? If you wanted to include them when speaking about the "Pan South American" continent, would it still be appropriate to say "Latina/Latino" when refering to Brazilians?

Question 2: In Belize, since the official language is English, they are also not officially 'Hispanic' either? Would they not be considered "Latina/Latino" either?

They ask if I'm Mexican because the only Latin American country they know is Mexico. I swear, bleh. Obviously, not one race has a standard "look" to themselves - but from certain characteristics besides accents can give you a hint. Folks who are Latinos make the better guesses - I have gotten Dominican, Puerto Rican & Cuban at times from folks who are from there. I guess it'd be harder to see my "Salvadorian" traits. Ha.
Nox, Wiki would be your friend in answering those. I just think if you're from Latin America - then you're Latino.

I was gonna say that but I figured I'd leave it to MUT's very own Miserable Hag..

omg haha i thought that before i read down

ok well im not Latina, but alot of people think i am

i speak spanish enough to get by

and um im italian lol and i live in an igloo up in canada

1. State your nationality. K...I know what you're thinking..."La Chinita, you ain't Latina"...haha...as the name implies, yes, I am Asian, but I prefer to be called Pacific Islander. BUT...I am like 1/8 Spanish since my grandfather from my dad's side is half-Spanish. The Spaniards invaded the Philippines back in the 1500s (I think, somewhere around there) and they stayed for about 300 years. So lots of intermarriage went on. Needless to say, I don't look nothing Latina...it seems I got everything from my grandma's side. My cousins, though, are tall, they don't have my Filipino nose, and they look very "mestiza". But I guess since I'm part Spanish...I'm part European, not part Latina?
confused.gif

2. Do you speak Spanish fluently? I would say, I speak conversational Spanish and I'm working on speaking it fluently. I used to work at Little Caesars Pizza and I spoke Spanish to customers and promoted the $1.99 pizza deal over the intercom (I memorized it, hehe). I do, however, understand about 90 percent of the language, especially when Mexicans speak it because it seems they speak it the slowest and they really enunciate in those soap operas...but Puerto Ricans and Cubans speaking Spanish to me? Fahgetaboutit....Haha...I seriously LOVE Cuban and Puerto Rican accents...it sounds sexy and I love the way it sounds but I just can't catch up.

Anyway, my speaking/understanding Spanish has a lot to do with the Filipino language (which is probably about 80 percent Spanish, something around that percentage), required Spanish courses in high school, and of course...mi amor...my hot Mexican lovah...Tony. Haha.
smile.gif
Oh, and watching Telemundo and Univision. Mainly, Tony and I speak Spanish if we need to speak about something we don't want others to know...

By the way, the name "La Chinita" came about because Tony's family used to say "Oh, your son's with "La Chinita" again huh...he must like her..." They still address me as that sometimes...

3. Where you born in your Country or somewhere else? Born in the Philippines...moved here when I was 14. So I still speak Tagalog fluently.

4. If you were born in a different place beside your Country, how & why did your parents move? For a better life, I guess. The Philippine economy hasn't been doing too well, and even though you've got a degree, it's super hard to get a job.

5. Do people mistake you for another nationality, if so, what? People usually don't mistake me for another nationality because I have traditional Filipina features. There were some people who've mistaken me for Cambodian, Vietnamese, or Hawaiian.

1. State your nationality. 50% Puerto Rican, 50% Italian

2. Do you speak Spanish fluently? Yep, it's my first language.

3. Where you born in your Country or somewhere else? I was born, raised and everything else in Puerto Rico. Damn I almost haven't left the place at all lol!

4. If you were born in a different place beside your Country, how & why did your parents move? N/A

5. Do people mistake you for another nationality, if so, what? Ummm well, not really since we're all mostly Puerto Ricans in here haha but when I went to Canada one guy guessed I was a Puerto Rican even when I was speaking english I have no idea how he got it. On the other hand some people here have told me I don't look Puerto Rican and then when travelling people tell me I do. Hmm maybe I have one of those "I don't know where you're from but you're not from here-faces" lol. Of course I only need to open my mouth and there'll be no mistakes haha.

1. State your nationality. (Even if you're 50% latino, 25% latino - share from where you're from! Specifics is fine aswell... say your Great Grandfather was from Italy and your Great Grandma was from Honduras.) - Was born in Mexico City and my parents are both mexican.

2. Do you speak Spanish fluently? Yes I do. Spanish is my first language, English is my second and French (at least what I remember of it) is my third.

3. Where you born in your Country or somewhere else? I was born in Mexico City.

4. If you were born in a different place beside your Country, how & why did your parents move?My dad first moved here back in the 80s, was able to get amnesty and get his residency. My mom, sister and I soon followed after. They moved here to give my sister and I a better way of living since Mexico City had a growing crime rate and they knew that we could do much better here.

5. Do people mistake you for another nationality, if so, what? Hawaiian... hahahaah don't know why but one of my friends thought that I was.

03c49cb7a005bf8483828bf8d7ff323c.jpg

Hey you know what's funny? That La Chinita nickname is kind of the same thing that happens to Americans with Latins. They think all the Latins are Mexicans but at least here in Puerto Rico people have the bad habit of calling everyone with Asian features Chinese. La Chinita means something like "little Chinese girl".

About the Puerto Rican accent, yeah I notice people from Mexico and Colombia speak Spanish much slower. Here we speak really fast, something characteristic about the way we speak is that we don't pronounce everything, we take letters off the words like the final "s" and also replace the sounds of some letters for others. I guess it's all due to the fact of speaking fast. When my cousin from Canada came to visit she told me she understood Spanish as she had dated a Latin guy (I forget the nationality...) for four years. I was like cool! My family and I started speaking and she was like WTF are you saying? hahaha it was then I realized actually how different our Spanish is from others, sometimes you don't notice stuff like that.

Originally Posted by Sheikah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey you know what's funny? That La Chinita nickname is kind of the same thing that happens to Americans with Latins. They think all the Latins are Mexicans but at least here in Puerto Rico people have the bad habit of calling everyone with Asian features Chinese. La Chinita means something like "little Chinese girl".
About the Puerto Rican accent, yeah I notice people from Mexico and Colombia speak Spanish much slower. Here we speak really fast, something characteristic about the way we speak is that we don't pronounce everything, we take letters off the words like the final "s" and also replace the sounds of some letters for others. I guess it's all due to the fact of speaking fast. When my cousin from Canada came to visit she told me she understood Spanish as she had dated a Latin guy (I forget the nationality...) for four years. I was like cool! My family and I started speaking and she was like WTF are you saying? hahaha it was then I realized actually how different our Spanish is from others, sometimes you don't notice stuff like that.

Haha...yeah. My boyfriend told me, his parents know I'm Filipino, it's just a nickname like you said. They kinda think all Asians are Chinese, and it's hard to tell for them between Filipinos and Vietnamese for example. The name kinda grew on me, though.

Both of my parents are from mexico

My mom is from Zamora Michoacan

My Dad is from Guadalajara Jalisco Tlaquepaque

I was born in Torrance California

Grandparents are from mexico the same place

I speak Spanish english

People confused me being white Im very light skin

My Parents met in Los Angeles in the 70s

They were brought here by their parents

Proud Latina

100% Puerto Rican

Speak english and spanglish....lol

born in Santurce Puerto Rico, came to NY at 6 months old. Been here almost all my life. Lived in Phoenix Arizona for about 3 years and yes people there thought I was Mexican, very few PR's there.

People have asked me if I was from Guayana, Santo Domingo, they go down the list but never mention Puerto rico....uggg

Proud to be latin...

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hmm. There aren't droves of Latinas on board, but I'd be willing to be there is still a good showing here. You're right about California, the first thing many of them think when they hear "Latina" is Mexican. Truth be told Celly, you don't "look" much like a Mexican. I would have guessed Dominican Republic, Cuban, or Puerto Rican. If all one watches is stuff on Univision and Telemundo, then it is no wonder why people have a hard recognizing what other types of Latinos look like. Latino can be practically anybody. Heck, I recently attended a La Raza festival here with some friends of mine, and I didn't get any wierd looks. People always assumed I was one of them. I guess that's kinda like being an American, it's all-inclusive.

Regards question 1: it makes sense calling the Brazilian latinos because Portuguese is a latin-based language as well, although i think many of us don't like it. But then, brazilians look like everyone else in the world, so there's brazilians that look like mexicans, or spanish (bf says i look like a spanish girl), american, italian...

Well, I just say I'm half Black, half Puerto Rican. However, my dad's side has more than Puerto Rican... Panamanian, Cuban, Tijito Indian and Spaniard.

I took 3 years of Spanish, and understand more than I speak. My stepfather didn't want us using Spanish in the house (pretty much so we couldn't figure him out).

I was born in the USA, but have visited PR a few times. My dad was born in Carolina, PR and raised in NYC.

For some reason, I'm often mistaken for being Arabic... However, most people seem to catch on to my ethnicity.

I was born in Brazil and adopted when I was 2 weeks old and moved to Israel with my parents

1. Mexican

2. No

3. USA

4. 4th or 5th generation, so IDK, why they moved, same reasons as everyone else probably, better life...

5. Nope

Latest posts

Back