Where were you when 9/11 happened?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Thanks Karrieann, I know you can do it.
claps.gif
Biting tongue, biting tongue...
ouch!
icon_wink.gif

nooory, you don't have to tell us. we know those sick people don't know the first thing about religion and definitely do not speak for muslims.

amethyst, my heart dropped before i read the part saying you finally got in touch with her. i'm so glad she was okay.

redrocks, i've been a few blocks away from ground zero, but i've never been there. i don't think i could ever go
frown.gif

gamaki, i'm interested in how they were different coverage, too.

I am from Long Island, New York. I was at the time attending my second year of college in the Bronx, NY. I will never forget every detail of that day.

I lived in a dorm on campus, and had overslept for class (not unusual
icon_wink.gif
). I literally got ready and ran down the hill to the business building where my class was being held. When i sat down the professor was telling everyone to calm down and that class was being cancelled and that we should all call our families and make sure everyone was ok. I had no idea what was going on! The administration building was right across from the building that i was in, and the student lounge was right on the bottom floor. Walking up to the lounge there had to be at least 100 people inside and out, watching the tv's in there, crying, talking on their cell phones, etc. I couldnt find any of my friends and still had no idea what was going on. I pushed my way through everyone and approached one of the television's and watched as the second plane hit.

I was immediately freaking out...my father was a NYC Police Officer and my uncle is a microsoft engineer who frequently was in the towers fixing computer systems. Besides the other various people that i knew that worked around that area. I tried calling my house, my grandparents house, my dad's cell phone. Nothing. So many people were using their cell phones that it was impossible to get through to anyone. It was also my cousins first birthday and i was planning on calling my aunt after i got out of class to wish the little one a happy. Yea, what a happy day this was going to be.

After finally being able to get in touch with my mother, she told me that my dad was on a golf outing in Pennsylvania with a few other police officers. She had also gotten in touch with my uncle, her brother, and thankfully he was working in jersey city that day. He said that they all went up on the roof of his building and could actually see the towers falling.

The scariest thing was being so close. My college was right on the Hudson River. You could walk down the hill and literally stare at the George Washington Bridge. It was so pretty all lit up at night. But they had started to shut down all of the bridges after a while, and there were checkpoints all over. A day or so later, there was a bomb scare for the G.W. Bridge, and seriously if something like that would've happened, my school wouldve been gone. That is how close we were. All i could think was that if something more happened, i wouldnt be with my family.

Besides all the people that were lost on that day, i think the worst thing for me was the smell. Being that close, driving on the Henry Hudson Pkwy, if anyone knows where that is, you could smell fire/smoke for days. Knowing where it was coming from was awful.

I just have to say that the way that everyone responded and banded together during/after this tragedy was amazing. My father was in the middle of Pennsylvania and after hearing what had happened, got in touch with the Pennsylvania state troopers who then picked him up and had him back to long island within 2 hours. My dad then worked 10-14 hour shifts at ground zero. He retired 6 months later from the police force after that. He said that in all his years as a cop he had never seen such horrifying things. He also lost at least a dozen friends. Me and my friends also walked around our little area of the Bronx with donation cans for the red cross and people were just so friendly and generous. I also cannot believe how many people you dont even realize you are connected to. I need more than two hands to count the people i know that lost someone on Sept. 11th.

Sorry that this post was ridiculously long, but i just kept typing.
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by NoOoRy I was sleeping when this all happened,and I woke up on the tv's voice, and i thought this gotta be big,my family never let the voice of the tv this loud unless they're watching something really important, and when i saw it, i was freaked oooout, i thought it's a new action movie or something..o guys,you really won't believe how much the Saudi people are ashamed of what happened,I mean Amercia is one of the dearest countries to every saudi's eart,Amercian people too...my brother and father had studied in the US for more than 9 years,and we used to spend our summer vacation in Orlando in the 90s

and I really know how amercian people are

I mean it's like my second home!

my family and I called most of our American friends here in SA, saying we're sorry and such ,n they were very understanding,and on top of it they weren't as pis*ed off as we imagened,i mean they all know how most of us are..

oh gosh, i really do love you guys .. <3

what saddens me the most, is how the look for the Muslim specially the arabian/saudi became.. which could be unfair most of the times..

and to tell you the truth, I don't blame you
smile.gif

the image of us became blurry and ugly to the whole world..

but what most of you know the Islam in Arabic means: Peace

and what these Muslim pretendersdid ,from killing Innocent people and destroying homes,doesn't relate to Islam nor Muslims nor even sanity!..

I guess maybe i'm the last one supposed to reply to this topic,

and I know my place maybe not here

but i thought i had an opinion and wanted to share it with you'll..

peace be upon you..
smile.gif

everyone should be able to respond to any topic that they wish.

and i kind of understand your feelings because of the way that some people reacted to some of my friends that are muslim after all that happened. it was really upsetting. but thank you.

Originally Posted by nypunkgrl511

I am from Long Island, New York. I was at the time attending my second year of college in the Bronx, NY. I will never forget every detail of that day.​

I lived in a dorm on campus, and had overslept for class (not unusual
icon_wink.gif
). I literally got ready and ran down the hill to the business building where my class was being held. When i sat down the professor was telling everyone to calm down and that class was being cancelled and that we should all call our families and make sure everyone was ok. I had no idea what was going on! The administration building was right across from the building that i was in, and the student lounge was right on the bottom floor. Walking up to the lounge there had to be at least 100 people inside and out, watching the tv's in there, crying, talking on their cell phones, etc. I couldnt find any of my friends and still had no idea what was going on. I pushed my way through everyone and approached one of the television's and watched as the second plane hit.

I was immediately freaking out...my father was a NYC Police Officer and my uncle is a microsoft engineer who frequently was in the towers fixing computer systems. Besides the other various people that i knew that worked around that area. I tried calling my house, my grandparents house, my dad's cell phone. Nothing. So many people were using their cell phones that it was impossible to get through to anyone. It was also my cousins first birthday and i was planning on calling my aunt after i got out of class to wish the little one a happy. Yea, what a happy day this was going to be.

After finally being able to get in touch with my mother, she told me that my dad was on a golf outing in Pennsylvania with a few other police officers. She had also gotten in touch with my uncle, her brother, and thankfully he was working in jersey city that day. He said that they all went up on the roof of his building and could actually see the towers falling.

The scariest thing was being so close. My college was right on the Hudson River. You could walk down the hill and literally stare at the George Washington Bridge. It was so pretty all lit up at night. But they had started to shut down all of the bridges after a while, and there were checkpoints all over. A day or so later, there was a bomb scare for the G.W. Bridge, and seriously if something like that would've happened, my school wouldve been gone. That is how close we were. All i could think was that if something more happened, i wouldnt be with my family.

Besides all the people that were lost on that day, i think the worst thing for me was the smell. Being that close, driving on the Henry Hudson Pkwy, if anyone knows where that is, you could smell fire/smoke for days. Knowing where it was coming from was awful.

I just have to say that the way that everyone responded and banded together during/after this tragedy was amazing. My father was in the middle of Pennsylvania and after hearing what had happened, got in touch with the Pennsylvania state troopers who then picked him up and had him back to long island within 2 hours. My dad then worked 10-14 hour shifts at ground zero. He retired 6 months later from the police force after that. He said that in all his years as a cop he had never seen such horrifying things. He also lost at least a dozen friends. Me and my friends also walked around our little area of the Bronx with donation cans for the red cross and people were just so friendly and generous. I also cannot believe how many people you dont even realize you are connected to. I need more than two hands to count the people i know that lost someone on Sept. 11th.

Sorry that this post was ridiculously long, but i just kept typing.

icon_wink.gif

Excellent post Punkgrl! THanks for sharing!

The difference between Canadian Broadcast and US broadcast was the overall feeling and message

What I got from Canada was more like "let's get out there and help our fellow man any way we can" we were incredibly sad for you guys and also afraid that we may be a target.

Although so many people banned together in the US to help out the needy, which is so amazing and showed alot of bravery, the feeling that I got from some of the US newsbroadcasts was anger. I remember one statement in particular stating something along the lines of: "any country who isn't with us is against us" IMO there are better ways of 'gathering the forces' (for a lack of a better phrase) than to try and instill more fear into people than what was already felt.

This is just what I got from it though. Maybe some MuTers can shed some light on what the news was putting out in other countries????

Originally Posted by QurlySq keeping my mouth shut on that one...
icon_neutral.gif

Well, me too
icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, it was the day before an exam of mine at University and, at 5pm, I was watching TV trying to relax me. The scariest hours of my life: I thought it could be the End of the World

I was home sick that day and my husband called me from work to tell me that a plane hit the World Trade Center. I turned the TV on and told him it had to be a joke. Right while I was talking to him, the second one got hit and I couldn't believe my eyes. I started crying when the buildings crashed. I cryed a lot that day and kept telling myself "how could this happen?" I guess I took everything granted and thought that we were an untouchable nation. I never thought something could happen in real life.... I also never thought that no one would be this bad/evil in the heart and in the mind. My heart goes to the families who lost their loved ones every single time I talk, think, or see a picture/article about 9/11.

We had just moved to California from Virginia. I was cleaning the kitchen and my phone rang. It was my friend from Canada (I lived in Ottawa for 16 years before I moved to the USA) and she had been watching tv with her kids so she told me to turn the TV on.

I remember feeling like I was going to vomit when I saw people having to choose between burning to death or jumping to their deaths.

I found out 3 days later that the ship my husband had just transferred from a month earlier had gone up there to help with patrolling. It's selfish, but I was glad he didn't have to go there and witness it.

I have strong opinions about what has happened since and I just keep them to myself.

nypunk, i'm glad your family (and even you) weren't hurt. it reminds me of something...

in the building i lived in when 9/11 happened, a lot of people who worked in manhattan lived there. there was one guy (and family) in particular that i swear was having someone watching over him. when my mom would bring my sister to the bus stop in the morning for school, she always noticed there wasn't ONE morning where the guy wasn't running late. he used to RUN to the train (which was on the next block) to take the train to his job at the towers (not sure which one). every single day, though, he caught it, but on 9/11, he missed it for the first time.

I can`t imagine how it felt for You being so close to everything!
icon_neutral.gif

I was in shock all day, although I live in Norway.Far away from everything.

That day I was at work(on airplane)and had just landed in a Norwegian city having a mealstop when we saw the news.It was so shocking!

When we got back on the plane, the passangers were a bit anxious and asking a lot of questions.

The security got a lot stricter after that, and passangers from other countries were looked at a lot (poor Innocent people)

Well I can also remember that day as the day I stopped smoking!It has been four years now.it had nothing to do with 9/11.I just had a sore throat, and would`t start again when I was recovering.

Originally Posted by NoOoRy I was sleeping when this all happened,and I woke up on the tv's voice, and i thought this gotta be big,my family never let the voice of the tv this loud unless they're watching something really important, and when i saw it, i was freaked oooout, i thought it's a new action movie or something..o guys,you really won't believe how much the Saudi people are ashamed of what happened,I mean Amercia is one of the dearest countries to every saudi's eart,Amercian people too...my brother and father had studied in the US for more than 9 years,and we used to spend our summer vacation in Orlando in the 90s

and I really know how amercian people are

I mean it's like my second home!

my family and I called most of our American friends here in SA, saying we're sorry and such ,n they were very understanding,and on top of it they weren't as pis*ed off as we imagened,i mean they all know how most of us are..

oh gosh, i really do love you guys .. <3

what saddens me the most, is how the look for the Muslim specially the arabian/saudi became.. which could be unfair most of the times..

and to tell you the truth, I don't blame you
smile.gif

the image of us became blurry and ugly to the whole world..

but what most of you know the Islam in Arabic means: Peace

and what these Muslim pretendersdid ,from killing Innocent people and destroying homes,doesn't relate to Islam nor Muslims nor even sanity!..

I guess maybe i'm the last one supposed to reply to this topic,

and I know my place maybe not here

but i thought i had an opinion and wanted to share it with you'll..

peace be upon you..
smile.gif

I am glad you responded! And you are not guilty by association
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I dont know if that was the best way to word it, what I mean is it is sad how people get grouped together and one or a few give a bad name to all. There are bad people of every sort and kind everywhere. Good people of every sort and kind everywhere. The actions of one or a few do not represent all. Am I making any sense?
icon_question.gif

Originally Posted by lovesboxers I dont know if that was the best way to word it, what I mean is it is sad how people get grouped together and one or a few give a bad name to all. There are bad people of every sort and kind everywhere. Good people of every sort and kind everywhere. The actions of one or a few do not represent all. Am I making any sense?
icon_question.gif
Of course, you make perfect sense to me!
biggrin.gif

On another note, going to church today reminded me of the chapel service we had at my Christian college the day after 9/11. (We had required chapel on Wednesdays.) We spent the hour singing songs about how God is steadfast and unchanging and how his love endures forever, such as "Forever" by Chris Tomlin, and praying for the victims. There was something incredibly powerful about being in a room of 1,000 students singing to God in such a terrible time! Even now it's a rare occasion I can listen to "Forever" without getting a tear in my eye!

I was living in Peru, and I honestly didn't care. Well, now that I live here, I know it was a big deal.

I had just sent my youngest son off to school and turned on the morning news as I do every morning, moments after the first plane hit the twin towers. Thinking it was a horrible plane crash I was watching as were many when the second plane hit. I remember my first instinct was to go and get my children from school although I live in Florida, far from the where the danger was. Suddenly the comfort of thinking it could never happen here was gone. I regrouped, realized getting the boys from school was not a good idea and I sat alone and watched in horror and disbelief at what I was seeing. Bless all those people who died and even more, the one's who lived through the terror.

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Excellent post Punkgrl! THanks for sharing! thanks tony! your welcome.

Originally Posted by Jennifer nypunk, i'm glad your family (and even you) weren't hurt. it reminds me of something...
in the building i lived in when 9/11 happened, a lot of people who worked in manhattan lived there. there was one guy (and family) in particular that i swear was having someone watching over him. when my mom would bring my sister to the bus stop in the morning for school, she always noticed there wasn't ONE morning where the guy wasn't running late. he used to RUN to the train (which was on the next block) to take the train to his job at the towers (not sure which one). every single day, though, he caught it, but on 9/11, he missed it for the first time.

thank you very much. and wow. you know its crazy how many people do have stories from that day where they or someone they knew where supposed to be there, were running late, called in sick, whatever. its just mind boggling because it makes you want to think that someone was looking out for them, but then what about everyone else. i am someone that does believe that everything happens for a reason, and things sometimes arent just coincidences. but when something like this happens, you just ask why?

but yes many people i know have stories as well about how they were supposed to be there and werent. its amazing.

i myself used to shop at the bookstore on the main floor of one of the towers. everytime i was in that area of the city i would always go there b/c the place was huge- and i loved that i could check out cd's and books in the same place. (when i was away at school i was in the manhattan all the time) and its sad now being on the subway and still seeing the name 'world trade'...

Back