Where were you when 9/11 happened?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
tony's thread gave me the idea for this and since we're so close to the 4th anniversary, i thought i'd ask.

i was in the 9th grade, in my biology class, when one of the juniors came running into our classroom telling us we've been attacked. when we got a few more details, i started to get SO scared because 1. my sister went to school at NYU and since everything was cut off, didn't know if she was okay and 2. i have lots of relatives in manhattan. thank god they were all okay, but there was a handful of people from my town and other towns around me that were killed because we're just outside of NYC, including my brother's best friend's dad, who was actually 1 of the 2 firefighters that went the highest in the building when it collapsed.

my sister, who was in elementary school at the time, (leta112) actually came home that day from school and was like, "they wouldn't let us out of the school today because there was too much pollen!" or something like that. it was so sad how they couldn't even begin to tell the little kids what happened.

thinking of this day makes me cry
frown.gif

where were all of you when it happened?

I remember I was in my 8th grade science class, and we getting ready to watch some silly Ben Nye science video, when my teacher turned on the TV on the news channel, and they were showing live coverage. We watched that for the rest of the hour, and we had to take notes on the broadcast. I remember everyone was in such a state of shock, and some of the kids thought it was fake at first. I still have my old notebooks, I should go dig it out and see what I wrote.

It's really weird when people can remember exactly where they were and what they were doing when something major happens. My grandparents remember where they were when JFK got shot and when the Pearl Harbor attacks happened.

I was collecting payslips from the machine to put them in pigeon holes which was part of my student summer job. Everyone else stopped work to watch it, but because we needed to get the payslips out for the courier to collect them I had to carry on working the machine because I was the most junior member of staff.

i think i was still asleep when it happened. i just remember turning on the tv and seeing that and thinking it was movie until i started flipping channels and seeing it everywhere. then my dad called me and asked if i had sene what happened. it was only a couple of days before i had to leave for college, so i was scared to leave thinking that it was going to happen again or worse, like a war and i was going to be far from home.

but then i got pissed off when i started hearing more.

I walked out of a university philosphy class, turned on the radio in my car and heard the dj saying that a plane had hit the towers. I started listening mid snetnce and thought that they were describing a movie...then i freaked when i realized it wasnt a movie

I was at work, trading, when our boss told us to get ready to leave the building because the Twin Towers were just attacked. There was a bit of panic, as we were at the tallest business building in Toronto, and honestly thought that there was a chance that we could be attacked too.

On the streets, everyone stopped to watch this big screen on the street that was showing the news. I was busy trying to call my older sister who was living in LA at the time, but couldn't get in touch with her
frown.gif

I think that was the day I realized that my now-husband could be the ONE, as we just had one date by that point, but he called my cell right away to see if I was OK as he saw on the news that the whole downtown core was evacuated.

The whole event still saddens and scares me....

I was still sleeping when the actual event happened (I live on the west coast, 3 hour time diff) but my alarm clock went off and they were talking about it on the radio. My first thought was "what? am I hearing things correctly?" So I turned on the TV real quick and they had live feed on, the second tower had not been hit yet, I was in a state of shock at what I was seeing, then I saw the second tower get hit I just started crying. Then to see all the people jumping out of windows. It was just horrible. That is something that will stay with me forever. As the weeks went on I became real angry about it.

I dont want to racial profile here or anger anyone, but that day or the next I stopped at a 7-11 and got the paper and the guys who works there was of middle eastern descent and when I bought the paper he looked at it (front page headlines of course) looked at me, looked at the front page again and smirked then chuckled. Friggin' Bastard.

I also was going to school at the time and in my cultural anthropology class there was a girl in there was middle eastern always wore the headscarf and she quit coming to class
icon_sad.gif
, which I thought was very sad. I'm sure people said stuff or just gave her looks. Very Sad.

My son was in first grade at the time, I remember not wanting to send him to school that day, but I did. I was thinking about him the whole time, and wondering if I should go and get him.

I will definitely remember that day. Hopefully but I truly feel its most unlikely that in the future I wont have to remember another type of day like that. There are more than likely going to be more terrorist attacks.

I was at work... working for Nextel at the time and I was supposed to have a customer appt. when they had called and alerted me to what happened... it was so sad and horrible and that is all I remember.

Me and Leo (my bf) were driving in from his house - about 30 min. west of mine... (I worked P/T at a friends tanning salon, so I had to be there at 10, and he just worked at his shop all day - before he got a day job) We were listening to Howard Stern on the radio... and heard him talk about it - and we thought it was a joke or something. Leo had a friend that worked in one of the towers, so he called him @ his office - at the tower-, his friend picked up - said it wasn't a joke and that they were evacuating the building... he said he would call him back when he got outside, and that was the last we heard from him again.
icon_sad.gif
I had to go to work - so I was watching it on tv most of the day. Scary to have that happen an hour away from you and not know whats next. After that day, there were so many memorials out here.. a friend & I went to the radio station for a candle vigil they held. It was so weird to see all of NY so patriotic... (as was the rest of the US) You couldn't find a flag ANYWHERE!!! People were buying them like crazy!!! Every store you went to was sold out... Every house had one, every car had a sticker of one... it was strange to see. We drove around taking pictures of peoples memorials, gatherings, flags etc. It was really bad after that to get around... security was so tight everywhere.

I can't imagine what you girls in NYC must have been thinking; I was 1500 miles away and still very emotional!

I was a junior in college and I was on my way from breakfast to my first class. When I walked by a TV in the student union, the first plane had just hit and they were talking about it. But I didn't stay long enough to hear the whole story, and I didn't realize that it was a jet -- I thought it was just a private plane that went out of control or something. In my first class I don't think anyone knew about it yet because no one was talking about it.

When I got to my second class, I heard what had really happened, that both towers and the pentagon had been hit, and that one tower had already fallen. There were also rumors flying that more planes had been hijacked and that bombs had gone off in various government buildings. That's when everyone really started panic -- a lot of people were scared for friends or family in NYC, or for family in the military since everyone thought this would be the start of a war. Since it was a Christian college, the professor didn't lecture that day, and we spent the whole class period praying and discussing what had happened.

I remember that my third class that day still had a lecture as normal, but the next day we spent my entire history class discussing the attacks and the possibility that Ossama was behind it. I also remember watching the news on TV for the rest of the day on 9/11, and not getting much homework done!

I had just sat down to my computer here on the west coast(6am) and read on Excite News headlines...."small plane crashes into World Trade Center". I was like Hmm strange. I thought possibly a Cessna or something. Then the phone rang. It was my 83 year old gramma telling turn on the news! So we did, then watching it fora while, then we saw the 2nd plane hit live. OMG it was terrible. I didn't work that day. Just mourned terrible, then was fucking pissed off at anyone who would do this to my country. I new BUSH would not let us down by just sitting back and letting it happen again. I was very happy to see that we would move troops soon.

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) I new BUSH would not let us down by just sitting back and letting it happen again. I was very happy to see that we would move troops soon. OK, I certainly don't want to turn this thread into a political argument, but I admit that I agree with you! My roommate and I both were thinking on that day that we were very glad that Gore hadn't been elected president -- we doubted he would have taken the same action! Anyways, just my opinion
wink.gif

I was actually in Japan and watching TV when this happened. I saw everything live and they didn't even know it was a terrorist attack at the time.

I was watching with my dad and I remember the terrified looked on his face.. I think it was personal to him b/c he's a pilot and it could've happened to him...
icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek OK, I certainly don't want to turn this thread into a political argument, but I admit that I agree with you! My roommate and I both were thinking on that day that we were very glad that Gore hadn't been elected president -- we doubted he would have taken the same action! Anyways, just my opinion
wink.gif
ditto...

Oh man, I was at work...I worked in a group home for developmentally delayed adults with severe behavior problems. I was the only staff person there that early in the AM, most of the residents were asleep so I was watching TV. All the news reports started coming on and I was watching in horror. The 2nd tower was hit as I watched. I realized the true depth of the situation and started freaking out but I had to completely stop myself because the residents were waking up. They all had this ability to tune in to other people's emotions and they would feed off them and escalate into violent behavior. So what I remember most from that day was wanting to cry and mourn but having to pretend like nothing was wrong. It wasn't until I got home 10 hours later that I could really talk about it with anyone.

I remember that my husband and I were both still in bed and I had just gotten up to get my daughter, who was born two weeks earlier. My dad called and said that I needed to watch the news because a plane had just hit one of the towers. So my husband, our baby, and I were all laying in the bed watching as the second tower hit. I was still on the phone with my dad at the time and his reaction will always stay with me. At that time they still didn't know it was terrorists. It was awful. Then I remember watching as the first tower fell and then the second. We really didn't get an idea of what it was like until they started showing all of the footage that people on the ground had taken and then we got to see firsthand what hell all of these peopl were going through. I kept all of the newspaper clippings and things for my daughter for when she gets older. I remember laying there thinking "what have I brought her into"!!

Here is what I wrote in my journal about 9-11.

I have never felt so many emotions as I did on that day. I woke up listening to Alice (radio station) like I usually do and I heard Vinnie announce that a plane had been hijacked. I turned on the TV and what I was about to see was unbelievable. They were reporting that 2 commercial airplanes had been hijacked and they had crashed into the World Trade Center. I ran into my room and woke my mom up and turned on her televison and we saw the flames and smoke that now engulfed NYC. It was such a horrible sight. All of the sudden, the reporter was talking about the crash when on the backdrop, you saw the first building collapse. At that moment, I felt chills throughtout my whole body and I watched in amazement and shock and realized that as I was seeing this, a lot of people were dying. Then the reporter on the news said that another plane had crashed on to the Pentagon. I went to work feeling like a zombie and when I go there, no one was really there yet. I started talking to Beth and found out that the second tower had collapsed and that there was a plane en route Sf but that it had crashed in Pennsylvania. That day we had loan committee and we were all in there and you could feel the tension in the air. No one really wanted to talk about what happened. Honestly. I just wanted to go back to my bed and hide underneath my covers because I knew that this was not going to be the end of this situation. I just wanted to hide...Not because I was scared but I knew so many lives were lost and more were yet to come. I also didnt want to face the fact that there was terrorism in 2001. I wont ever feel safe ever again. Even just writing about it makes my stomach hurt.

Originally Posted by girl_geek OK, I certainly don't want to turn this thread into a political argument, but I admit that I agree with you! My roommate and I both were thinking on that day that we were very glad that Gore hadn't been elected president -- we doubted he would have taken the same action! Anyways, just my opinion
wink.gif
keeping my mouth shut on that one...
icon_neutral.gif

as far as where i was, i was driving in to work... at that time i was a quality assurance supervisor for a telemarketing company... i heard it on the radio, didn't quite believe it at first until they kept talking... so when i got to work, i told a floor supervisor and they turned on a radio in an office, and i had my radio on in my office... the telemarketers were selling accidental death and dismemberment insurance and one of the main areas that the dialers were set for was NY so everything became crystal clear when people starting cussing the telemarketers out with the horrendous timing... the center was shut down for at least a week...

Originally Posted by QurlySq keeping my mouth shut on that one...
icon_neutral.gif
ditto
icon_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back