Where's the Fruit?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Labels that claim fruit as an ingredient aren't always truthful

By Rachel Rabkin Pechman

It's often missing in action. More than half of foods targeted to kids that show fruit on the packaging (such as cereal and juice) actually contain none at all, says a new report from an alliance of California health organizations. It's up to you to determine whether a food is fruit-full. Here, a breakdown of the label lingo, from Christine Gerbstadt, M.D., a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association:

There's real fruit if…

One of the first three ingredients listed is: fruit (or berries, raisins, etc.); fruit puree; dried fruit; fruit juice; or fruit concentrate. Or the label says "100 percent fruit juice."

There's no fruit if…

The only ingredients listed that resemble fruit are: natural fruit flavoring; artificial fruit flavoring; or fruit pigments. Or the label says "fruit drink" instead of "fruit juice."

Parenting, July 2007

How to Tell If a Food Contains Real Fruit | Children | Ages & Stages: Parenting

I always give my kids actual fruits
wink.gif

You mean Skittle isn't a fruit?? Lol our kids have never been big fruit eaters.... But they love skittles!!!

I have a hard time getting my kids to eat enough fruit. The only fruit my 3 year old likes to eat are those Jell-O fruit cup things.

Back