White cast in mmu

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I forgot what causes the whitish cast in pictures when wearing mmu, is it mica, titatnium or zinc oxide?

If it's just due to the finishing powder, then I have another question. Would it be better to go for an 'untinted' finishing powder (which will probably leave a white cast) or a tinted but one that doesn't match my skin (too light) finishing powder? thx

At one time I thought that I was sure that it was the Zinc but now I am unsure of that. I would suggest that for photographs you might consider using a bit of bronzer or perhaps if you double check your foundation in natural light to make sure that it is compatible with your skin tone under those conditions as well as those indoors.

It's actually the titanium dioxide that causes a whitish cast. If you're darker skinned (which I assume you are), it's best to try to use MMU with lower percentages of TD.

Originally Posted by sgoofi /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's actually the titanium dioxide that causes a whitish cast. If you're darker skinned (which I assume you are), it's best to try to use MMU with lower percentages of TD. Yep. It's the Titanium Dioxide. I know it from experience because I bought some of it and mixed it into some of my mmu to increase the staying power. It worked, however, it does give it a white cast if too much is added. Good thing I'm fair/med skin toned. And yes, it does increase the staying power, but if you use too much it can give you a "Casper" look!
rotfl.gif
It's best used for fair/light complexions.

I've learned to add it to my darker shades (mmu which I ordered that was a bit too dark) so that it could lighten it up a bit, plus it gives me a nice creamy finish. You're so correct to suggest purchasing mmu with less of the Titatnium Dioxide for darker skinned people, because no matter how little it contains, it will show up so much more on darker skinned individuals.

CooCoo

Originally Posted by coocoo4coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yep. It's the Titanium Dioxide. I know it from experience because I bought some of it and mixed it into some of my mmu to increase the staying power. It worked, however, it does give it a white cast if too much is added. Good thing I'm fair/med skin toned. And yes, it does increase the staying power, but if you use too much it can give you a "Casper" look!
rotfl.gif
It's best used for fair/light complexions.

I've learned to add it to my darker shades (mmu which I ordered that was a bit too dark) so that it could lighten it up a bit, plus it gives me a nice creamy finish. You're so correct to suggest purchasing mmu with less of the Titatnium Dioxide for darker skinned people, because no matter how little it contains, it will show up so much more on darker skinned individuals.

CooCoo

This problem also arises in many of the MAC foundations as well. Many people have complained about looking like a ghost when it comes to getting their picture taken because of this ingredient.

Try looking at MilanMinerals for a tinting powder. That brand is pretty good, they specialize in Asian, Black, and "Latin" skin tones. I've never had the "Casper Glow" problem.

Back